Presumably burglars and stalkers can't read here yet

DianaCox

Bad Cop
I just want people to know that I haven't decided to drop off the face of the earth, nor forget about you all now that you've picked up and emigrated here. I've spent WAY too many hours online (from a work point of view) for the last month, since this situation started. I have to fly back east for work in VA and then a little R&R in NYCity (need to spell that out ...) tomorrow. I'll try to get online now and then, but I've got a lot of work to do, and people to see. Including my mom, who isn't doing well.

And burglars and stalkers - our house will have other adults in it, so don't bother! The kitties need company!

Mom is almost 82, MO, diabetic, cellulitis on her swollen legs - and no interest in doing anything to improve her situation - she says "if it hurts when I do that, then I don't do that." I'm preparing myself.

Work will be good - our holiday party is on Friday. NYC will be good too - going to see my best friend from college who is also my kids' godfather; Pippin; and a lunch with a number of WLS peeps (no not them).

It's an hour before we have to leave and I'm pretty much packed and ready to go - WTF am I forgetting??? I'm usually still stuffing things in the suitcase at this point ....

Enjoy! Hopefully you'll be there between polar vortexes! But Katz would be worth the deep freeze! Safe travels :)

I hate Dulles. But nonstops are preferable in the winter, so instead of the easier but longer trip with a stopover from San Jose to National (it will NEVER be Reagan), we did SFO to Dulles (SJC is 3.5 miles from my house; SFO is 35 miles; Dulles is 45 min from my hotel in Arlington, National is 10 min). It took 2 hours to get out of the airport after landing - negotiating the ridiculously long walk, moving walkway, escalators and train ride to baggage claim - and STILL the luggage didn't come down for another 1/2 hour. Then a long wait in the VERY cold for the bus to the rental car place where they literally wanted almost DOUBLE the price to add my husband to be a second driver. PRICELINE AND ALAMO SUCK TOO.

But I am in the hotel, with food in the fridge, including the leftovers of a lovely dinner at the restaurant next door to the hotel that I have essentially ignored for 4 years and I now have no idea why, including a very nice 1/2 glass of Hefeweisen (they wouldn't give me a to-go cup for the rest :-().

Now follows several days of intense work (plus I got commandeered to teach a law school class on biotech patent law on Tuesday, and my lecture notes are two years out of date), followed by some FUN in NYC afterwards.

Latest posts

Back