pre-op lab report

unavidanueva

Hi all -

I am working through all the various appointments and tests required before the DS surgery request can be submitted to insurance. I needed basic labs done, and asked my PCP if he would add vitamin level checks, as long as I was going to be "donating" anyway. I took him a couple of lists I found on this site, and he worked from that info; I will be his first patient to have had a DS, so we are learning as we go. (He is very supportive, helpful, and interested to learn more.)

Would some of you vets mind taking a look at these results? I'm interested in your feedback, and I have to confess, I don't yet fully understand what all this means or how the different levels relate to one another. I assume I should start supplementing vitamin D now, even though the official lab results show it to be within normal range (I remember a holistic gastro doc telling me that most Americans have low D levels, and that what is considered ok is really not that good). Any other recommendations? Also, is there anything we did not test for, but should have? Is there any info from the CBC or other labs that would be helpful to include in this post?

Thank you!

PTH, intact 47 (range 14-72)
calcium 9.3 (8.5-10.1)
iron, total 74 (50-170)
iron, binding capacity 359 (250-450)
iron, % saturation 20.6 (20-55)
ferritin, serum 283 (8-252)
serum folate 33.8 (>6.0)
magnesium 1.8 (1.8-2.2)
phosphorus 3.2 (2.5-4.9)
vitamin A 75.5 (32.5-78)
B1, thiamine 125 (70-180)
B6, plasma 13 (5-50)
B12 460 (211-911)
D, 25-hydroxy 30 (20-50)
D2, 25-hydroxy <4.0
D3, 25-hydroxy 30
K1 0.64 (0.10-2.20)

Last edited:
Each lab is a little different so, it would be helpful to the vets if you add in the ranges provided by the lab. Good luck on your upcoming surgery!

What vitamins are you currently taking?

Need to add dry D3 and B12.

Your B12 is low end of normal and that is one that doesn't hurt to have HIGH. Low B12 causes permanent neurological damage. It is a water soluble. Mine routinely stays over 2000 and has for several decades. B6, on the other hand, needs to stay mid to low normal as going too high on it can also cause permanent neurological damage.

What lab ranges are this as the lab range for D is now 30-100, which means your D is borderline low normal. Are you taking any D3 yet? I know you are pre-op but even pre-ops benefit from Dry D3 that can be found OTC. For now, any dry D3 is fine but once you have surgery, you will need the Dry D3 50,000 daily.

You want your PTH lower and by raising your D, your PTH will drop.

For a full panel of what needs testing POST-OP, check this thread: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/generic-ds-lab-order.191/
Always get a hard copy of your labs (even if it's by email) and start tracking your labs on a spread sheet.

Thanks @southernlady. I have just been taking a multivitamin. When I saw the D was on the low end, I figured I'd better start taking some. I ordered the Nivagen dry D3 50,000 from Amazon. It just arrived and I took one yesterday, do you think once a week is enough while I'm pre-op, or should it be more often? I will pick up some B12 today.

The lab paperwork shows that the D and some of the other vitamins were tested at the Mayo Med Lab in New England.

Thanks @southernlady. I have just been taking a multivitamin. When I saw the D was on the low end, I figured I'd better start taking some. I ordered the Nivagen dry D3 50,000 from Amazon. It just arrived and I took one yesterday, do you think once a week is enough while I'm pre-op, or should it be more often? I will pick up some B12 today.

The lab paperwork shows that the D and some of the other vitamins were tested at the Mayo Med Lab in New England.
When is your surgery? IF in the next 2 months, I would go to one a day. If further out (say this fall), then 2-3 times a week may be enough.

I did one 50,000 Dry D3 a day for the 3 months before my DS...managed to get it from a 15 to mid 50's in that time.

I guess the Mayo Med Lab hasn't gotten the new levels from the Endocrine Society recommendations. Levels are 30-100 for normal level. It was raised to that in about 2011. Before, it was 25-80 and when I was told I needed vitamin D it was 15 to 50 (2007). They keep adjusting the levels. If the experts can't agree, I just keep mine at the high end of normal.

Good normalish labs, but remember you are going to deplete your vitamin stores in the weeks and months following your surgery. I HIGHLY recommend walking into surgery with solid numbers....no lows or normal low values. Don't go overboard either! Balance is your friend here.
:clapping:

Latest posts

Back