Pre Op Haircut?

DuodenalSwitchaRoo

Taking a long scenic route!
I did not lose any hair (well not any more than normal) after my sleeve. I know hair loss is a lot more common with the RNY and DS. Should I get it cut shorter just before my op? I was trying to grow it out a bit but if it's all going to end up down the drain...what's the point? lol. I would still keep the length in the front and hope it doesn't come out but could go really really short in back.

Do pre op hair cuts help, make it worse, or it doesn't matter one way or the other?

Well, the actual hair loss usually doesn't happen until a few months after surgery. However, I went ahead and had my hair cut short before surgery. Figured it would be easier to take care of. Also, losing lots of short hair is less traumatic than losing lots of long hair!

Those are my thoughts lol. Getting old has been traumatic lol. Growing up, my hair was so thick and wavy is was unmanagable...and now it is thin, straight, fine and scraggly lol. I'm going to do a short punky do then, keeping the top and the length in front. Also seems like less to mess with post op lol.

I went into the hospital on the day of surgery with my hair done very strategically so that it would not be in the way of the docs or me laying down, and that it could probably stay for a couple days without fuss. Well that got thrown out the window somehow because I woke up with my hair all over the place (it was VERY long, thick, wavy and unmanageable). Between IVs in one hand and the other wrist and hurting all over my abdomen I couldn't physically fix it myself, and my husband, sister and mother were all useless, giving me some half-assed, loose, flopsy, poor excuses for a bun upon requests for one. By the time I got home from the hospital I had the worst matting I've ever experienced and it took me a crazy long time with a brush and a jar of coconut oil trying to detangle it, something that wouldn't have been fun without the abdominal surgery, but with it? Ow. I'm not saying you should chop your hair off for that reason, but I was way overdue for a cut and in hindsight, should've definitely done that beforehand and saved myself both a literal and figurative headache.

I went into the hospital on the day of surgery with my hair done very strategically so that it would not be in the way of the docs or me laying down, and that it could probably stay for a couple days without fuss. Well that got thrown out the window somehow because I woke up with my hair all over the place (it was VERY long, thick, wavy and unmanageable). Between IVs in one hand and the other wrist and hurting all over my abdomen I couldn't physically fix it myself, and my husband, sister and mother were all useless, giving me some half-assed, loose, flopsy, poor excuses for a bun upon requests for one. By the time I got home from the hospital I had the worst matting I've ever experienced and it took me a crazy long time with a brush and a jar of coconut oil trying to detangle it, something that wouldn't have been fun without the abdominal surgery, but with it? Ow. I'm not saying you should chop your hair off for that reason, but I was way overdue for a cut and in hindsight, should've definitely done that beforehand and saved myself both a literal and figurative headache.

Well, I've talked mike into buzzing it tonight lol. I can even out and layer the rest myself :) I shall post the results lol

So glad you posted this! I was thinking of asking the question myself. I've had long hair for so long, I can't imagine it short. But I have to say, it has been driving me crazy for a couple of years now, because it knots so badly. My hairdresser reckons its from years of colouring it. It's probably not helped by the fact that my little boy, Jayden, loves to hold it/play with it when he goes to sleep. It does sound like short hair is the way to go!

I sat here for like 5 minutes trying to figure out the forwards and backwards of it all lol but I think we could be done at same time. My op is for 8am on UK time...so you might actually be done BEFORE me lmao

I'm 2 parter like you and I didn't lose any hair with either surgery. I did get it cut short so it was easier to manage as it's awkward when you're trying to keep incisions dry.

Are you having your surgery open or lap? Are you having your appendix and gallbladder out?

I assume lap but he wont know until he gets in as I have an umbilical hernia that he wants to leave alone until my apronectomy. Not sure about appendix/gb as I didn't get to speak with him at my pre op. Mr P is scarce lol. I've spoken to him 3 times and 1 time was to sign on the line for my sleeve lol.

Latest posts

Back