POD#5: a revelation

DBmom23

My GI tract is very slowly awakening so that's good. But I've been in a crazy funk with just not being able to get comfortable or enjoy anything. Anyway, I finally figured it out that my extended release Wellbutrin is not getting absorbed and I am having withdrawal. I have been on a hefty dose--300mg daily as one pill. Who knows how much I am absorbing now. I knew I needed to change this over and have an email in to my PCP, but hadn't anticipated the withdrawal symptoms. Anyway, I'm happy at least to have a clue as to why I've been feeling so lousy out of proportion to my pain and plan to get the regular release tomorrow. Cautionary tail for all of you pre-ops reading this.
If i were to do it again, I should have switched over preop to get it straightened out in advance.

That's all for today!

Maybe...even likely... but don't discount post-anesthesia issues.

In my world, three days and three weeks are killer times. We ALWAYS need to be aware of altered transit time, but don't ignore just plain post-general anesthesia issues.

Sue

Yep, that could do it! Extended release meds often don't work well for us. @Spiky Bugger is right that it could still be lingering effects of general anesthesia, but I would bet anything that a different formulation of your wellbutrin will make a difference. It may take a couple tries to get to the right dose and timing.

I had a similar experience with my Pristiq but unfortunately it is only made in an ER formulation. I ended up crushing the pill and trying to mask the horrid taste in yogurt, pudding anything I could think of.

Once my GI tract normalized, I was able to get it dissolved without passing it whole or crushing it (thank God).

But I know what you mean about feeling the withdrawal effects. Some people don't realize that many of those mood altering, non-narcotic drugs also have withdrawal symptoms.

Lucky for you there is a non-ER formulation. Hopefully that works for you.

@DBmom23 Thank you for this post. I also take Wellbutrin. 450 mg daily. I am "between" psychiatrists and don't know if my PCP will prescribe anti-depressants. I will watch my mood carefully. Thanks for the heads up-- I would not have thought of this as affecting my mood. I have been stable for 10 years. Changing concerns me.

@Barbara, are you pre surgery or post surgery? I had been on the 300XL for 4 years without a hint of an issue.
If you are presurgery, I highly recommend you transition to the regular release beforehand so you're not trying to sort out whether or not you're having a problem if everything isn't perfect (is it ever?). If you are post surgery, sounds like you are fine and unaffected.

@DBmom23 I am pre op. Would like to sort this out in next week or so but my doctor is out of the country until after surgery. My PCP will not prescribe my anti depressants. I appreciate this, though. I will be watching for symptoms.

@Barbara I understand now and think you have no choice. Just be very wary of withdrawal symptoms. I think I had them for several days getting worse and worse until I finally figured it out. At that point, I felt like crawling out of my skin--very strange--could not get comfortable but not because of pain and severe malaise.
Good luck!

Yep, that could do it! Extended release meds often don't work well for us. @Spiky Bugger is right that it could still be lingering effects of general anesthesia, but I would bet anything that a different formulation of your wellbutrin will make a difference. It may take a couple tries to get to the right dose and timing.

@Larra acts like she KNOWS this stuff inside and out. Oh. Wait! She does.

I take 300 XL wellbutrin too. I was concerned about it being extended release and contacted my PCP, he reassured me that there wouldn't be an issue and there hasn't been. I am 7 months post op and have been on it for about 12 years. I don't notice a difference...the only thing I do different is I take it before bed now. I figured that everything slows down at night and the absorption might be better? Seems to work

the only thing I do different is I take it before bed now. I figured that everything slows down at night and the absorption might be better? Seems to work

This is also what I do with the Pristiq which I think helps for the same reason (even though I still get up around 3 am for a BM :093:)

That is super interesting. I always figured it would keep me up at night but sounds like you don't have that problem.
My guess is that my GI absorption will increase over time and it may be worth trying to get back to it.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back