Plunging Ferritin Numbers

Brandy

Freddled gruntbuggly
Just got my 1.5 year blood results back.

• My B values, especially B6, are way high, but if I stop taking a weekly B complex I think that will fix itself. It did before, but I wanted to play with it again to be sure.
  • My T3 is in range for the first time in my life.
  • My triglycerides crossed the line (= 157 and should be below 150) but I think that is probably junk food coming back into my diet after a year of only healthy pure foods. I'm not worried about it.
  • The DS Troublesome 8 (statistically, almost all DS people will have a problem with at least one of Calcium, A, D, E, K, Iron, Mag and Zinc within four years) are all holding in there, with either minor gains or losses.
  • But my Ferritin plunged. I have a personal and family history of anemia. I'm pleased that my other iron numbers got a little better, but I don't understand the Ferritin. Why was it so high before and why would it plunge now??

upload_2016-4-11_14-47-45.png

After my One Year test, I:
If I understand it correctly (big if!), then Serum ferritin reflects the amount of stored iron in the body. So, my body used to store a lot of iron and now it's in the middle. Is that a sign that I am using up my pre-surgery buffer at an alarming rate or just some random adjustment? What should I do about it?

Any suggestions? comments? ideas? conspiracy theories?

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-11_14-47-22.png
    upload_2016-4-11_14-47-22.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 3
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was three years out when my went to double digits instead of triple digits. While you are still fine (an doing what you can to keep it that way), do keep a close eye on it. I was in the 50's at 3 years and 3 months later was in the 20's. The ONLY reason I got infusions at that point is my RLS kicked in after over three years of "remission" with no meds. Normally they wait til you come close to single digits which is horrid for us.

Right now, just keep a close eye on it and do what you can.

Thanks for your wisdom! I will watch. I guess this is the downside to our bloodwork. We see the train wreck coming long before anything actually leaves the tracks.

Okay so my last iron panel showed this

upload_2016-4-12_12-42-17.png

It doesn't measure Ferritin but measures Transferrin. All my numbers are in range and iron deficiency has never been an issue for me, but I will be honest the whole iron panel thing is confusing to me. There is a matrix showing if one thing is low , two others are high and the final one is normal you have X....then all kinds of variation. Interpreting results can be very confusing.

What is the difference betwee ferritin and Transferrin?

That is not "plunged" - if you are not absorbing iron (and many of us don't), there is an asymptotic drop off from high levels. It happens with me every time I get an infusion: see my graph in this link - I'm sure it has plummeted since then.
No link Diana.

This might help...was ALMOST in English not medspeak: http://www.pathologystudent.com/?p=2124
Too funny Liz. I actually came across that page when searching. It makes sense but still doesn't really tell me why ferritin isn't measured on my iron pane but transferrin is and what I am supposed to make of it. My numbers seem fine and have been fine so I don't pay much attention but this post and others asking about Iron numbers got me thinking.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back