please help asap

katsmeow07

I don't know why but I am really thinking this was a mistake. I'm 4 days out, just discharged Today and the hospitals pureed foods have just totally made me feel nauseous. Sick just thinking about eating any bite of anything pureed. Can I just stick to my costco protein shakes and water for my protein and hydration needs for the next two weeks? I just want like some peanut butter, plain off a spoon or a scrambled egg but those aren't pureed. Yogurt is ok but I'm already alittle tired of it. I sent my hubby for some sugar free pudding and he got the wrong thing. I am just so overwhelmed being home now :(

Work on hydration right now. Any food is secondary. Just drink whatever fluids sit well. Broth, water of any temp, PowerAde zero, etc. Do not worry about food this week and maybe for the first month. As long as you hydrate!

oh, Kat, I'm sorry but this "I made a mistake" feeling will pass. it's remorse and some people have it after surgery.
you can stick to whatever you want as long as you are getting in fluid. what Liz said!

how much are you drinking, total, of all liquids in a day? approx?

sorry you are feeling overwhelmed but please don't worry about what and how much food.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. Also, I've been nauseous since I got home today. They just made it seem like I must get in the 100 grams of protein in starting now to heal, etc....
I've had about half my shake (5 or so ounces)and about 3 or 4 oz of water since being home at 2pm. I drank at the hospital in the morning also

I call BULLSHIT on your doctor!

Attempting to try to get that much protein in one day is NOT possible this early out unless ALL you have is protein shakes!

Okay, the rule of thumb:
30 grams a day of protein by 30 days
60 grams a day by 60 days
90 grams a day by 90 days
Then aim for 100+

You will NOT die of protein malnutrition this early out. You can die of dehydration.

Ask or get a PPI (I get mine at Costco, generic Prevacid).

And HYDRATE!

1--what the other vets said;
2--I was ELEVEN WEEKS OUT before I thought I might actually have NOT made a huge mistake;
3--what the other vets said...30, 60, 90 on protein;
4--within few days of surgery--less than a week--I ordered soft boiled eggs and just ate the yolk part and I ate/drank the broth from a vegetable soup, for the taste;
5--what the other vets said, HYDRATE!

Thanks so much, you all have made me feel so much better!! ♡♡♡♡♡

we're all in this together - and here's a random internet photo to prove it!

mail.jpeg

@katsmeow07 I will just chime in too even tho its already been said --- its not really possible for you to get 100g protein 4 days out OMG. I wasn't worried about any protein for the first couple weeks, I just stayed hydrated and screw everything else. By a month out I was thinking about getting 30g protein, by 3 months out I was up to the 90g. Be glad you are pureed food -- my surgeon had me on clear liquids for 2 freaking weeks post-op -- ugh. How about sugar free popsicles?

You have my cell# --- call me tomorrow if you want to chat. Anytime except not 1-3p Eastern time is fine with me.

Its going to be fine, and once you are up and around better you won't regret it anymore; you will be on your way to better health with a lot less weight.
I might just call you Carla, i have so many thoughts and questions. Thanks again for making this girl feel supported. My hubby and kid's are trying their best but no one understands it like you all do ♡♡♡♡

Does the shake count as fluids or is it considered a food?
Both! I always counted the ounces of fluid when I was early post-op and tracking every thing that went into my body. I considered a protein drink to be a towfer.:p

ETA; Like Spikey Bugger, it took me at least twelve weeks to feel human. Of course, I don't wish that for you, but if it does I'll just tell you that I have no regrets. Some people have very quick recoveries and others don't. I actually have a better quality of life than I ever could have imagined and I'm healthier, too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back