Pissed as hell but thankful.

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
Collin, our youngest at 19, just came downstairs about an hour ago. He was at his friends last night who lives in a house at Bradley University in Peoria. They went out to get something to eat around 1am or so. He decided to walk back to his friends house by himself and walked through an allry where he got jumped by 4 thugs. Luckily he only got a black eye and two teeth knocked out/chipped off. The punks heard something and ran off before pummeling him. He could be in the hospital now in bad shape or dead.

Thankfully he and his buddies who are football players didn't go out head hunting because I have a feeling these were gang bangers and somebody would be dead (Bradley is right on the edge of a bad part of town and you don't venture that way, over the hill, at night) .

I am very relieved that he wasn't hurt worse, but as a Father I want to rip somebody's head off for being such fucking cowards and hurting my boy.

Yowser, that is scary. As a parent, I'd be freaked out... and then angry. A black eye and knocked out teeth is not "nothing." Will the police be able to find the thugs?

I lived in Peoria ages 3-5 as my father got his masters at Bradley and worked for Caterpillar. I lived on Cedar which I've been told is now probably that hill you reference.

Yowser, that is scary. As a parent, I'd be freaked out... and then angry. A black eye and knocked out teeth is not "nothing." Will the police be able to find the thugs?

I lived in Peoria ages 3-5 as my father got his masters at Bradley and worked for Caterpillar. I lived on Cedar which I've been told is now probably that hill you reference.
No police involved. 19 years old and of course on New Years they were drinking. At this point nothing good will come out of involving the police. He has his wallet, phone and keys so we are leaving it alone at this point unless something else happens.

Moss Avenue used to be THE place in Peoria with huge old houses (couple of Frank Lloyd Wright homes) and it sits atop a bluff that over looks downtown and the Illinois River. Below the bluff is a a rough place now.

He will be okay but obviously not anything something wants happening to their little boy even if he is 19 years old and a 6'3 stud athlete.

Oh that's horrible! I'm glad it's not worse, however... you're right - it could have been so much worse.

Collin, our youngest at 19, just came downstairs about an hour ago. He was at his friends last night who lives in a house at Bradley University in Peoria. They went out to get something to eat around 1am or so. He decided to walk back to his friends house by himself and walked through an allry where he got jumped by 4 thugs. Luckily he only got a black eye and two teeth knocked out/chipped off. The punks heard something and ran off before pummeling him. He could be in the hospital now in bad shape or dead.

Thankfully he and his buddies who are football players didn't go out head hunting because I have a feeling these were gang bangers and somebody would be dead (Bradley is right on the edge of a bad part of town and you don't venture that way, over the hill, at night) .

I am very relieved that he wasn't hurt worse, but as a Father I want to rip somebody's head off for being such fucking cowards and hurting my boy.
Wow - so glad he's OK. Also glad that he and his buddies used restraint and common sense - things get out of hand so quickly these days - could have been so much worse.

By not reporting the crime, you are enabling the criminals to continue to operate freely - possibly leading to someone else getting hurt. They are not going to charge him with being drunk in public, nor is being drunk a justification for getting beaten up. As a crime victim, he may be entitled to some compensation for the dental work he's going to need.

Tell him it is his civic duty to call the police and report it!

Scott, I lack Diana's legal expertise but I still agree with her. No one is going to prosecute Cameron for underage drinking or anything else. Dealing with all the consequences of his youthful poor judgment could help him to mature and make better decisions as to who to hang out with, avoiding rough areas at night, how much drinking is too much, etc.
He's young and has been through so much, but we can't change all the unfairness of life. He still needs to mature and learn to make better, safer decisions.

Scott, I lack Diana's legal expertise but I still agree with her. No one is going to prosecute Cameron for underage drinking or anything else. Dealing with all the consequences of his youthful poor judgment could help him to mature and make better decisions as to who to hang out with, avoiding rough areas at night, how much drinking is too much, etc.
He's young and has been through so much, but we can't change all the unfairness of life. He still needs to mature and learn to make better, safer decisions.
It was Collin, not Cameron and no good will come from going to the police. Only bad can result from going to the police because if they were gang punks and they identify him they would come after him. Gangs kill people over this stuff and I am not subjecting my family to that possibility. Kids at Bradley know better than to walk alone at night in an alley and he shouldnt have put himself in that situation. Unfortunately these incidents happen more often than they should on college campuses all across the country. It is a sad fact of our society.

He has already learned a tough lesson and frankly I am proud of him for not seeking revenge. The young male ego is very fragile and can cause very bad decisions.

@scott, I'm sorry I got your boys confused. I should have realized Cameron is a bit older. And of course I don't want any further harm to come to either of your sons.
I agree about not seeking revenge. To my mind, the justice system should be about justice, not revenge, and reporting to the police should be about bringing people to justice, preventing more attacks, and maybe even rehabilitation. It would be ideal for whoever attacked Collin and his friends to be brought to justice, but I respect your judgment about not placing your son in danger.

@scott, I'm sorry I got your boys confused. I should have realized Cameron is a bit older. And of course I don't want any further harm to come to either of your sons.
I agree about not seeking revenge. To my mind, the justice system should be about justice, not revenge, and reporting to the police should be about bringing people to justice, preventing more attacks, and maybe even rehabilitation. It would be ideal for whoever attacked Collin and his friends to be brought to justice, but I respect your judgment about not placing your son in danger.
No problem and thank you.

First off, I am very sorry this crap happened Scott. Respecting of course your decision no matter what it would be, I’m going to have to say I agree with you. I apologize in advance for saying this if it offends anyone, BUT the reality is, most Cops could give a shit less anymore and view everyone as being crooks and would blame your son for being out there as well. Getting the “government” involved at any level never seems to make any situation any better anymore. It’s not all the Cops fault either. My Brother-in-law is a Sheriff and so are two nephews and they are overwhelmed, over worked and get no support anymore from the politicians running everything so they don’t really give a rats ass…NOT ALL of course, but a lot. This is not the same world as it used to be anymore….you can’t rely on just calling the Cops anymore like we used too.

My best wishes to you and your family in resolve, healing and moving forward and also a Happy New Year to you, your Family and everyone else as well.

Latest posts

Back