Periods and Hormones (men you've been warned lol)

I was just today reminiscing with my 26 year old daughter how much she missed. We had no tampons, only those archaic belts and skateboard pads. Self stick wasn't even invented yet. "On the rag" was a literal term. In the 80's, I actually serged flannel sanitary pads out of red flannel on top of flowery flannel print for a bunch of hippie throw back mothers I knew. They were "going green" before that was a fad. I can't tell you how many of those flannel pads were accidentally flushed. The RN who lived across the street when I was little came over one day to show my mother these new-fangled devices called tampons. She cautioned her not to let us girls use them, or we wouldn't be virgins anymore. Ever the eavesdripper, I later asked what a virgin was during dinner. (That, looking back, is HILARIOUS, but at the time I was made to feel dirty for asking).

And whoever invented the self-adhesive pads must have also foreseen females shaving themselves clean as well. Because if you've ever had one of those pads flip over on you during, say, step aerobics class? You shave that shit off so it never happens again.

Ah, the memories.
My mom had a friend who was raised in a Catholic orphanage in the 1920s. The girls got to do laundry...yeah...rags got washed. What a WONDERFUL way to care for little girls.

I'm older than you and tampons were available...but just for sluts.

Luckily self adhesive pads were available for me. Yes they did not stick real well to your underwear, however had no problem sticking to hair like the adhesive was suddenly superglue. Tampons were available too, but I was afraid of them things!

I remember those belts, and panties with hooks inside for securing a pad. Fortunately tampons were also available and that was what I usually used.

There was a time that I was having extremely heavy bleeding and the way I controlled it was with large, regular doses of ibuprofen. The reason for the heavy flow and probably the reason for the larges doses of ibuprofen was because of a ovarian cyst. Don't know how I would of managed without the ibuprofen, but it was definitely doing a number on my stomach. Had those ovaries out and haven't missed them since!
Kathy, I did the same thing with Ibuprofen, delayed my hysterectomy for over 12 years. But I was able to keep my ovaries, since my bleeding was from intramural fibroids and one fibroid from Satan himself that was golf-ball sized in the anterior lip of my cervix. I've long suspected that it grew from having the fetal monitor cork screw inserted into my cervix in 1985, but hey, what the hell do I know?

And speaking of tampons, I had such heavy periods that I was using 3 and 4 super plus tampons AT ONCE and still bleeding them out upon sitting on the toilet. No wonder my iron was rock bottom low.

Kathy, I did the same thing with Ibuprofen, delayed my hysterectomy for over 12 years. But I was able to keep my ovaries, since my bleeding was from intramural fibroids and one fibroid from Satan himself that was golf-ball sized in the anterior lip of my cervix. I've long suspected that it grew from having the fetal monitor cork screw inserted into my cervix in 1985, but hey, what the hell do I know?

And speaking of tampons, I had such heavy periods that I was using 3 and 4 super plus tampons AT ONCE and still bleeding them out upon sitting on the toilet. No wonder my iron was rock bottom low.
At once?!?! Good god woman! :eek:

I've been very lucky... even at 600+ pounds, I've always had regular periods (29 days, like clockwork). My gyno and endo have both told me everything (including hormone levels) is perfectly set and I'll be able to have kids whenever I want. But I'm 35... part of the point of having WLS now was so we could get pregnant easier since I'm already of "advanced maternal age" and so the pregnancy would be easier on my body and less risky. But if it's 6 months to a year before I can have the surgery... waiting another 18 months to try to get pregnant is going to be hard at this age. :( Man. I'm just really getting worried it won't happen for us. I wish hubby had figured out he wanted kids after all five years ago.

Damn, ladies! I am dying ova' here!! My period was like clockwork, 28 days... ALWAYS! However, post op, the first one was 5 weeks after surgery, and still waiting for the second. Can't say I'm sorry it isn't here yet.

I was in a similar situation with my cyst. Heavy duty tampon and heavy duty pad and then I sometimes wouldn't even get out of the bathroom before I would be overflowing and have to clean up and change everything.

I've been very lucky... even at 600+ pounds, I've always had regular periods (29 days, like clockwork). My gyno and endo have both told me everything (including hormone levels) is perfectly set and I'll be able to have kids whenever I want. But I'm 35... part of the point of having WLS now was so we could get pregnant easier since I'm already of "advanced maternal age" and so the pregnancy would be easier on my body and less risky. But if it's 6 months to a year before I can have the surgery... waiting another 18 months to try to get pregnant is going to be hard at this age. :( Man. I'm just really getting worried it won't happen for us. I wish hubby had figured out he wanted kids after all five years ago.
That's pretty much where I'm at now- I'll be just about to turn 37 when we have the green light to start trying. Not knowing if we'll be able to conceive without assistance is stressful, plus I'd ideally like to have more than one, so god knows how old I'll be when I'm done having kids. Youth is wasted on the young!

Ok everyone go out and buy stock in Always Overnights with wings and Tampax cos Im about to stock up! lol. I just have to accept that when I have a quick weight loss spurt I'm gunna bleed. Cos it's back! ugh! Sorry for the TMI, but I know for me hormones have always messed up my cycle. Nothing is wrong, I have taken a test, it's just a side effect of weight loss Im going to have to put up with!

not weird at all, even though you are actually getting healthier.

wait til your hips bones start showing - it's mind blowing!!

not weird at all, even though you are actually getting healthier.

wait til your hips bones start showing - it's mind blowing!!

They don't show yet...but I felt them soon after my sleeve.....I woke mike up because I "found a lump" in my leg and I was terrified lol. Oh dear. There's so much I don't know about normal bodies lol

Latest posts

Back