1 year surgiversary ~ I love my DS!!!

janey227

I just celebrated my 1 year surgiversary and wanted to share an update with y’all… and especially the pre-ops and lurkers.

First, I think it is only fair to say I LOVE MY DS!! I love the freedom it has allowed me, I love feeling normal, I love feeling good about myself, I love wearing normal clothes, I love being able to buy clothes only in colors & styles I like (vs what fits & maybe kinda – sorta doesn’t look like a bag), I LOVE the food I get to eat (steak, butter, cheese, full fat anything), I love shopping for clothes, shoes & makeup.. oh – and BRA’s!!! I love my normal blood pressure, I love that my cholesterol is totally normal, I love how much energy I have, I would say I love exercising, but that wouldn’t be entirely true. What I do love is what I can accomplish when I work out – how far I can push myself, the moves my body can make, the strength I am gaining.

I AM getting tired of folks not recognizing me ... I mean it really gets a little old having co-workers stare at ya in surprise and tell you how great you look. I only say that because it’s like ‘ so how bad did I look before’. I will say one of my favorite “compliments” was from a guy I’ve worked with for YEARS (and this is really typical of him, so ya take it with a grain of salt) telling me that he was checking out the ‘hot new girl’ when he realized it was me. I was like ‘ you are a dirty old man, that is like looking at your sister! But you are from W VA’ (sorry W VA peeps!!). However, I didn’t mind one of my female neighbors (who I am friends with) telling me I was unrecognizable.. that she really almost didn’t recognize me running around the block with my 6 year old.. yes, me RUNNING around the block!! I’ve NEVER been a runner (I am working on that), but I can do it with ease now! Bottom line on this.. I guess I am just self-conscious of people staring at me... is it because I have something on my face, or I look good, or ugly, or just 'is that who I think it is'?

I am still struggling with image issues. I look at lot at my stomach & feel like I look pregnant. I’ve always been an apple, and I still am. I think my tummy swells more if I’ve eaten naughty carbs (which I work very hard not to, but a few days a month my hormones get the best of me!). So as I work out I hear Bob Harper telling me “we have to burn as much fat as we can”... and then I remember the amount of $$ lipo will add to my future tummy tuck, and I get a sudden burst of energy! :) I am planning a “mommy makeover”(ie – tummy tuck and boob lift), and I know I should wait at least another year, but the 2-year-old inside me (and the chick with the image issues) wants it NOW. Good thing I don’t have 10k just sitting around, or I might not have any self-control! So the whole journey is definitely a mind trip. I am really working on accepting who I am and that I cannot be perfect... and never ever will be.

Overall, my experience has been awesome! It has certainly been better than I could have imagined. The first few months were a little tough. Hormones were a bit crazy, learning what foods I could tolerate was interesting and the potty issues were (and are) consistently changing.

So lets talk POOP: I’ve not had an accident – so see, that is an option! The first few months I sometimes had to go pretty quickly. But I have always been able to make it to the ladies room in the basement of my office. I do carry Yankee spray in my wristlet so it’s always with me. I’ve generally gone 2x per day, and that is still fairly true. I find if I avoid carbs (especially the bad ones), my poop isn’t roses, but its not the horrific, offensive stuff we all read about (ok, not sure hubs would agree, but I notice the difference!).

What I am eating: I wish I could say ‘anything I want’, but that isn’t true. I focus on fatty cuts of meat, and full fat dairy. When I eat fish, I add coconut oil to fatten it up. I generally have an RTD protein shake (I like premier protein). I end up having between 100 – 150 grams of protein a day. I get in about 90 oz of plain water each day, and 1 (sometimes 2) Crystal Light Energy. I started adding back in diet soda, but then remembered I didn’t want to pick back up my old habits, and I’ve stopped the diet soda thing. I find when my hormones are getting the best of me, a small bag of reeces pieces hit the spot (protein, right?!?). When we go out to eat, I can’t eat an appetizer b/c I won’t have room for dinner. I track using MyFitnessPal to keep me honest about fat, prot and CARBS. I don't count calories, but since MFP shows it to me, I'll share with you - generally I get around 1500 calories a day. Sometimes, maybe 1 -2 times per week, I get in the 2000 - 2500 range, and 1 - 2 times per month I hit the 3000 calorie mark (guess what time of the month that is!). Again, I don't worry about calories. I focus on fat, prot and carbs, but I know folks are curious about calories, so there ya are!

Vitamins – I bought 2 (two) 30-day organizers, so every other month I load them up & then I am good to go. I get my dry vits from vitalady, I take the Celebrate chewable multi with adek 3x per day, and I get everything else from Costco or vitashoppe. At one point I thought ‘what the heck have I signed up for, taking all these damn vites 4x per day for the rest of my life?!?’, but I got over it. I chalk it up to hormones. Seriously, it is a very small price to pay for my health!

HUNGER – in the beginning, I was NEVER hungry. It was great! Now, I do get hungry sometimes, but its very different then pre-DS. It used to be this ‘I MUST EAT NOW OR I WILL FAINT’ feeling. Now, its like ‘gee, I am hungry. Did I remember to pack some nuts? Oh, I didn’t? I guess I’ll head home… or grab some chicken strips or bunless-burger from a fast food joint’. Very different!

Hair Loss – not so much for me. Around the 6 month mark I noticed more hair coming out when I washed it, but nothing totally major. This lasted about a month or 2. I asked my hair dresser, and she agreed it was a little thinner, but not noticeable to anyone else. I now have some new hair growing in, so I was not imagining it. I use an anti-frizz hair treatment... its called “sleek” by suave... it just keeps the hair smoothed down so I don’t look like a chia-pet :).

I think that covers the main things I was worried about pre-op. I hope others find it helpful. I was terrified going into this surgery. I knew there were a TON of outcomes, and some of them VERY SCARY. But what it all came down to for me was that with the surgery there were a lot of “what if’s”, but without it, there were only “whens”. My journey could not have been more textbook and I am so very thankful to God & humbled by his grace (of which I am totally undeserving!). I am also so very thankful for the vets and regular posters so that I had a clear vision of this surgery & a place to go for real help (just feel like I should give thanks where deserved! :) )

Congrats on your surgeversary, Janey! It DOES really help to hear everyone's story as a pre-op and I really appreciate you taking the time to post yours. I wish you continued success in your journey!

congratulations!! :038: very good post, lots of info for pre-ops.

as for your image and how people react to you - all this will take time, your mind does not change as fast as your body does. you will adjust! (meanwhile, don't underestimate how stressful the change is - even change for the better.)

Latest posts

Back