Part 2 - bowel obstruction - the nervous breakdown

buffalobillsfan

I don’t know if I’m being paranoid or what. I just have no idea what is normal after this type of event and surgery. I have only had a few hours of pain relief since getting out of surgery. It’s when they added an extra dose of pain meds on top of my pain pump. I guess because I had almost no pain in my stomach during my DS that I’m concerned. I think I may have just gotten lucky and stayed ahead of the pain during that laparoscopic, virgin procedure where this one was open. My back hurt with both surgeries since I am a stomach sleeper and hours on the table do a number on me. I told them in the hospital that I was in pain but they treated me as if it was normal. It has decreased, albeit slightly, over time.
I don’t know how sensitive the repairs are. Getting up and down was quite a battle in the hospital. Of course I needed to engage my core muscles, which is right where my surgery was. Could one push too hard undo everything? Everyone looked at my stomach and no one seemed to think anything was wrong. I feel like I have swelling in that area and a small bubble at the top of my incision. This began in the hospital. It isn’t worse or better since getting home.
I didn’t progress to soft foods until I came home. I was instructed not to eat anything that you need a knife to cut. If I can eat/cut it with a fork or spoon it was ok. Surprisingly I have had an appetite and no problem finding things to eat. I was told to avoid nausea and vomiting and not to eat everything at once. Liquids and foods have not given me any troubles. I had very small amounts of scrambled eggs, fake crab with mayo, a few protein shakes, and yogurt until last night. I had some wonton soup. It was so good so I ate about 4-5 wontons and broth. A few minutes later I started having the same pain in my stomach that I had prior to surgery in the exact same spot.
Of course the very thought of having another surgery gives me absolute panic attack (NYB – not sure HOW you did 2 surgeries in 2 days – OMG!!!). Could the pain just be from being swollen/sore inside where the repairs are? I was instructed to follow up with my PCP in 2 weeks and Dr. Rabkin in 4 weeks.
I still have a lot of gas coasting around my insides and FINALLY had my first bowel movement last night before I ate the wonton soup.
As I write this I guess my pain is getting better. I just had a burning bowel movement but I’m sure all the stuff pumped into me will make it abnormal for at least a little while. I am afraid to eat anything with texture now. I’ll probably stick to the yogurt and protein shakes again today.
I keep trying to remind myself that I just had major surgery 5 days ago and that all of this is normal pain and healing. I’m so traumatized by it though that the thought of another surgery or complication scares the crap out of me. I worried about no gas or bowel movements in the hospital and Dr. Rabkin would just smile and me and tell me not to worry. Since then those have resolved. Will the pain after eating resolve, too?!
I would love to hear in detail how everyone who had a bowel obstruction healed. I know I need to call Rabkin’s office but I think it’s also important to hear from people who experienced this surgery and how they recovered. If I could say exactly what is going on inside my head it would sound like this (don’t judge) “I’m a big baby, I hate pain, I hate that I had to have surgery, I want someone to hold my hand and do medical tests to make sure I’m normal. I want guarantees. I want my pain to go away. I want another CT scan to make sure I’m fixed inside. I want to be in denial. I never want to go to a hospital ever again so if that CT scan can come to my house and be done I’d feel better. I don’t want Dr Rabkin or people on the board to think I’m crazy, over exaggerating, yell at me or tell me to go to the hospital. I will absolutely hate myself and hate my life if I f&^%ed up this surgery by something I did. Did I %&^% up my last one and that’s why I’m in this situation? I wish my mom didn’t die 3 years ago because I can’t imagine going thru this or anything else without her wisdom, guidance, phone calls and her soothing voice. I want to cry but I’m afraid I won’t stop.”
Thanks again for listening.

1) You'll be fine
2) Reglan can make you crazy

That probably doesn't help, especially since I haven't had an obstruction, but that's my contribution :)

It sounds like you need better pain meds, preferably not narcotics (unless the pain is so bad that you really need narcotics) as narcotics slow down the intestines, which you don't need to happen (this applies to anyone, not just someone with a history of bariatric surgery).
You are getting better! It's just slow, and a very different experience from your DS. Sounds like lots of cutting was done on the inside to free up the intestines from the mesh and the adhesions. Intestines don't like being handled. They don't work right at first. But they WILL function properly again at some point. And that's in addition to the open incision. So you have a lot to recover from, and probably with meds messing with your brain, and without your mother to reassure. We can't possibly replace your mother, but I hope you will gain at least some measure of reassurance from us.

It sounds like you need better pain meds, preferably not narcotics (unless the pain is so bad that you really need narcotics) as narcotics slow down the intestines, which you don't need to happen (this applies to anyone, not just someone with a history of bariatric surgery).
You are getting better! It's just slow, and a very different experience from your DS. Sounds like lots of cutting was done on the inside to free up the intestines from the mesh and the adhesions. Intestines don't like being handled. They don't work right at first. But they WILL function properly again at some point. And that's in addition to the open incision. So you have a lot to recover from, and probably with meds messing with your brain, and without your mother to reassure. We can't possibly replace your mother, but I hope you will gain at least some measure of reassurance from us.

Thank you Larra!!!!! Your words of wisdom mean more to me than I can express. You are so right. I feel better already. I CAN do this! I am on 5mg Oxycodone and 375mg of Acetaminophen. Is that ok? I take 2 every 4 hours.
This was my husband and one of my dogs sleeping on the couch with me last night. They had a great night's sleep. How cute is this?

Attachments

• randy and lily.jpg
    randy and lily.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 14
I'm always a bit hesitant to give my two cents on things like this, as our experiences are all so different, and causes of the obstruction can be different too.

I've had two blockage surgeries, one immediately post op, where some intestine was poking into an incision and getting strangled. I was still recovering from my initial surgery, so no idea which surgery caused which pain.

The second time I was operated on I'd been having intermittent, partial blockages. I had the gallbladder out at the same time. It was apparently a LOT of adhesions that were causing the obstructions, and everything was tethered to my other organs. It took them long time to take down most of those adhesions, and all that fiddling around in there did in fact leave me in much more pain afterward than my initial WLS. The gallbladder had been removed too, but that area didn't hurt as much as the area with previous scar tissue where the blockages were originating.

Also, when I ate I'd often feel when it got to the spot that the blockages had happened. Scared the bejeebers out of me, but then it would just subside, and not progress into a painful episode of blockage BS. I assumed things were just tender and angry there, and not really as normal as they'd been prior to any surgery, but it seemed to get back to normal. It's been 2 years since that surgery, and I never feel anything uncomfortable in that area now, it just took a long time.

I'm someone who will make excuses for something going on, as I REALLY don't want to go into ER, but it's good to find where to strike a balance. I'm glad you are being vigilant, and hope you will not hesitate to go back in if you think something has changed or needs evaluation, but, at least for me, the adhesion removal for the obstructions was a more painful recovery than my DS, and taking everything slowly was a necessity.

OK, I went and saw another post from you about this. There are similarities between our obstructions, and yes, I would think you would be quite sore after all of that. Also, like was mentioned above, narcotics slow down the bowels. It does sound like you need to insist on something else for pain if your level is still at at 7 - that just too high. I did learn when I had my adhesions taken down and gallbladder out, that morphine does not work on me. I had no idea, but do know dilauded does, so I told them. They need to find something that works better for you. It should be improving by the day.

Last edited:
I'm always a bit hesitant to give my two cents on things like this, as our experiences are all so different, and causes of the obstruction can be different too.

I've had two blockage surgeries, one immediately post op, where some intestine was poking into an incision and getting strangled. I was still recovering from my initial surgery, so no idea which surgery caused which pain.

The second time I was operated on I'd been having intermittent, partial blockages. I had the gallbladder out at the same time. It was apparently a LOT of adhesions that were causing the obstructions, and everything was tethered to my other organs. It took them long time to take down most of those adhesions, and all that fiddling around in there did in fact leave me in much more pain afterward than my initial WLS. The gallbladder had been removed too, but that area didn't hurt as much as the area with previous scar tissue where the blockages were originating.

Also, when I ate I'd often feel when it got to the spot that the blockages had happened. Scared the bejeebers out of me, but then it would just subside, and not progress into a painful episode of blockage BS. I assumed things were just tender and angry there, and not really as normal as they'd been prior to any surgery, but it seemed to get back to normal. It's been 2 years since that surgery, and I never feel anything uncomfortable in that area now, it just took a long time.

I'm someone who will make excuses for something going on, as I REALLY don't want to go into ER, but it's good to find where to strike a balance. I'm glad you are being vigilant, and hope you will not hesitate to go back in if you think something has changed or needs evaluation, but, at least for me, the adhesion removal for the obstructions was a more painful recovery than my DS, and taking everything slowly was a necessity.

OK, I went and saw another post from you about this. There are similarities between our obstructions, and yes, I would think you would be quite sore after all of that. Also, like was mentioned above, narcotics slow down the bowels. It does sound like you need to insist on something else for pain if your level is still at at 7 - that just too high. I did learn when I had my adhesions taken down and gallbladder out, that morphine does not work on me. I had no idea, but do know dilauded does, so I told them. They need to find something that works better for you. It should be improving by the day.

Thank you SO much!!! It is scary to have similar pain and reminding me that this is a big surgery and it's normal to be in pain. I had no time to mentally prepare for this surgery. It just swooped in and changed my whole plan for the month. I also feel bad for leaving my coworkers shorthanded at work. We are already stressed as it is. I also have every right to be emotional. This too shall pass. Thanks again for sharing your experience!!!

Thank you SO much!!! It is scary to have similar pain and reminding me that this is a big surgery and it's normal to be in pain. I had no time to mentally prepare for this surgery. It just swooped in and changed my whole plan for the month. I also feel bad for leaving my coworkers shorthanded at work. We are already stressed as it is. I also have every right to be emotional. This too shall pass. Thanks again for sharing your experience!!!

Don't underestimate how long it can take the body to rid itself of the anesthesia, and the effects of other drugs they give you. They made me a moody mess. On top of that, I had had such intense pain from the obstruction, and it took so long for it to be diagnosed and treated, that I had something like ptsd from it. When I first had pain after surgery in that spot, I freaked out and was sobbing, certain they didn't figure it out after all, and I was going to have to kill myself rather then endure increasing episodes. I laugh about it now, but it was very hard to be level headed when I felt like road kill.

Be easy on yourself, your co-workers will understand, and manage.

Don't underestimate how long it can take the body to rid itself of the anesthesia, and the effects of other drugs they give you. They made me a moody mess. On top of that, I had had such intense pain from the obstruction, and it took so long for it to be diagnosed and treated, that I had something like ptsd from it. When I first had pain after surgery in that spot, I freaked out and was sobbing, certain they didn't figure it out after all, and I was going to have to kill myself rather then endure increasing episodes. I laugh about it now, but it was very hard to be level headed when I felt like road kill.

Be easy on yourself, your co-workers will understand, and manage.

You nailed my exact thoughts! PTSD and they didn't fix it and if not, I want to die instead. I can't wait to laugh about it. Maybe we can have a Laugh Fest 2014! Ironically I got flowers and a balloon from work today. They don't hate me. Yippee! I'm feeling much more optimistic today!

You know, this is actually a VERY important thread - the frequency of having extreme depression, lack of logical thinking, and suicidal ideation post-op is really a "thing" that people should know about, expect, be prepared for, and not feel ACTUALLY crazy asking for support to get over. I still can't believe I went through it after my relatively "small" first and only plastic surgery, which stopped me from undergoing the rest of the planned procedures. It was utterly overwhelming to me.

You know, this is actually a VERY important thread - the frequency of having extreme depression, lack of logical thinking, and suicidal ideation post-op is really a "thing" that people should know about, expect, be prepared for, and not feel ACTUALLY crazy asking for support to get over. I still can't believe I went through it after my relatively "small" first and only plastic surgery, which stopped me from undergoing the rest of the planned procedures. It was utterly overwhelming to me.
I remember you having this. It was hard to see because I felt helpless to help you. Especially because it was always YOU who had all the right answers. It's a very, very lonely place and support and understanding is probably better than other meds to combat it. I'm feeling better but I still have a ton of fear as everything makes me nervous and anxious at the thought of backsliding or needing a do-over. I remember posting after my DS that it's important to remember that what is happening today/or how you feel today is not going to be the case for the rest of your life. Boy, it sure feels like it when you are in the moment.

Latest posts

Back