Pannilectomy and Abdominoplasty

clpeltz

Hello all! Plastics. Lots of wls patients think about it and wonder if they can do it. Financially especially.

I was blessed to be able to have this done on Dec 2, 2013. I am going to be blunt. It hurt like HELL! I vastly underestimated this surgery. Some serious stuff with this I tell you. And, I'd do it again. I am thrilled with the results, even with the swelling.

Insurance covered the Panni part. It was fairly easy. I got a letter from my pcp and my chiropractor stating that it was medically necessary. My pcp addressed the skin issues and my chiropractor addressed the back issues. The surgeon removed 6 lbs of skin. Now, I have dealt with chronic low back pain most of my life. At times it would be debilitating. I was going to the chiropractor 1-2 times PER WEEK just to try and maintain my spine. Since surgery...I haven't had any pain at all! None! I am absolutely amazed. It is amazing how much pain there can be with just a small amount of extra weight hanging off the front.

I paid for the abdominoplasty and TT. There was a 3 inch gap between my abdominal muscles that was filled in with swiss cheese scar tissue. The surgeon said that I would certainly have developed a hernia sooner rather than later. I am happy to have that fixed! Stitching those muscles is painful. I am one month post-op and it still hurts to cough/sneeze. He said it could be months. Total out of pocket for me was $3250. Not bad at all! And so worth it.

Everyone should know and expect that recovery will take a long time. As in months! No lifting more than 10 lbs for two months. No exercise. You need to rest the abdomen so that the skin layer can adhere to the muscle layer again. The more you move, the more you aggravate it and cause swelling and fluid. I still wear my abdominal binder and will continue to.

*Edited to add my 9 week post op pic!

Pre-Surgery One Week Post Op

e827b58c-ced2-4d5d-a83a-bd45e913bcb8_zpse0d1856f.jpg
54df8031-329e-405c-a52a-76f753ed7d6f_zps5a0759cb.jpg
1efe37f0-d0d7-4057-acef-92e220819d1e_zps68d98ee3.jpg

Last edited:
OH, WOW....

I SO want to get rid of the flab on my middle and around my side boobs. But I don't have enough of an issue to be covered by insurance in ANY way so mine would have to be totally out of pocket.

Is it crazy that I'm more scared of plastic surgery than I was about my DS? Or perhaps it's because I hadn't had any surgery before that and didn't know what the hell I was in for until it was too late, but I know now and have heard many people say plastics are worse. Or maybe I'm just a chicken shit :rolleyes::D

Definitely not crazy brooklyngirl. I have definitely developed a healthy respect for plastics now. I would still like to get a boob job and get my arms done sometime. Pulling down the good skin to make my flat belly pulled down my boobs even more, lol. Now there really is not much left. Will definitely wait several years to do anything else though.

Congrats you look fantastic.

I'm very pleased with my plastics overall only thing I would change is doing the LBL and not just the TT.

Happy with arms and BL/BA. I didn't have severe pain the worse part was when the nerves woke up in my breast and the implants rested on them. Total electric shock.

Congrats Peltz. Ew owwwww EN. Take heart BG & Whit. And OMG that sounds intensely painful CG. How long did the electric shock last?

To date I've had a panniculectomy & abdominoplasty and it's the ONLY thing WLS related that insurance has ever covered (including RNY and revision to DS)... so far.

I was having a hysterectomy in 2003 - 2.5 years after RNY and was shocked that insurance approved both pani/tummy and breast lift. I was too anemic for them to get into the breast work and am thrilled I didn't have it done at that time. It was enough (it was a lot) having the hysto and belly stuff. And it hurt like crazy. And it was WEIRD to feel so tight in the abs. AND I was a hormonal wreck from the hysto so I'm not really sure how much of that was the plastics.

Once I land at a maintainable weight (and I haven't lost a pound since 6 months after revision so I may be there.... eh), I'm going to have the breast reduction. Life in a nice, manageable set of double or even triple Ds would be an awesome improvement over the XYZs I live with now. It's funny how the memory of that pain, for me anyway, is not a deal breaker. What it did drive home, though, is the reality that plastics require planning and recuperation time and all the TLC we can give ourselves.

If I have the guts after the BL/BA, it's the LBL and inner thigh lift that I'm totally chicken about having. I mean how do you get comfortable with an incision ALL the way around your body? And my crazy-sensitive inner thighs? (She runs off screeching...)

ETA: Sorry Peltz, I called you Shales... but you're YOU. Corrected that!

Last edited:
Congrats Shales. Ew owwwww EN. Take heart BG & Whit. And OMG that sounds intensely painful CG. How long did the electric shock last?

To date I've had a panniculectomy & abdominoplasty and it's the ONLY thing WLS related that insurance has ever covered (including RNY and revision to DS)... so far.

I was having a hysterectomy in 2003 - 2.5 years after RNY and was shocked that insurance approved both pani/tummy and breast lift. I was too anemic for them to get into the breast work and am thrilled I didn't have it done at that time. It was enough (it was a lot) having the hysto and belly stuff. And it hurt like crazy. And it was WEIRD to feel so tight in the abs. AND I was a hormonal wreck from the hysto so I'm not really sure how much of that was the plastics.

Once I land at a maintainable weight (and I haven't lost a pound since 6 months after revision so I may be there.... eh), I'm going to have the breast reduction. Life in a nice, manageable set of double or even triple Ds would be an awesome improvement over the XYZs I live with now. It's funny how the memory of that pain, for me anyway, is not a deal breaker. What it did drive home, though, is the reality that plastics require planning and recuperation time and all the TLC we can give ourselves.

If I have the guts after the BL/BA, it's the LBL and inner thigh lift that I'm totally chicken about having. I mean how do you get comfortable with an incision ALL the way around your body? And my crazy-sensitive inner thighs? (She runs off screeching...)
The shocks lasted about two weeks. It wasn't constant. It would catch me off guard when I moved certain ways.

I'd like my thighs done but like you I'm afraid of that pain and possible infection/incision opening. Most everyone I've talked to said the thighplasty was the most difficult with less pleasing results.

Wow thanks for sharing your pics Christina. I know I need them, now to win the lottery. ;-) Can't wait to see your pics in a few more months. Looking good.

^^^What JJ said.^^^

I got so caught up in this thread that by the time I started writing, I'd lost track of the generous post from Peltz. Enjoy the results, CP! You are going to love living with your new taught, tiny midsection.

Cello, if you're going to do the reduction thing, go for a size that will making bras and clothing easy, not just "livable." That size varies for everyone, so maybe DD or DDD might do well for you, but I gotta tell you, I love love love being a C. Anything bigger on me would make for blouse fitting issues.

Latest posts

Back