Oprah....one more time

Razbry

I think it would be hard for anyone to miss Oprah's latest disemboweling of her inner fat feelings. It is well timed with the new year coming. I have to say that the only difference between Oprah and any other desperate fat person is that she now owns Weight Watchers. What a business decision...it works for her on so many levels. Now I've got nothing against Weight Watchers, because as weight loss programs go it's one of the most sane programs out there. Oprah, I'm not feeling so warm and fuzzy about. She led me (and so many others) through optifast. Yes, we lost the weight didn't we? But then we gained it all back. Now, with Weight Watchers, well she has already lost 15lbs and doubled her investment of 150,000,000 so win win for her. I hope she loses all her excess weight and keeps it off forever, I really do. However, I think the reality for her, and the many people she will take with her for this ride will be that they will land back where they started, or even worse, minus a lot of money. And, as long as I'm on a toot, every time I see promos for The Biggest Loser (the one where they offer the person $40,000 if they give up their diet) I yell at the TV....take the money and get surgery! They can't hear me. :( Despite some of my personal ups and downs of the DS, I am grateful I made the DS choice. I love facing every new year without the guilt ridden fear and dread of finally trying to make my life right.

However, I think the reality for her, and the many people she will take with her for this ride will be that they will land back where they started, or even worse, minus a lot of money. And, as long as I'm on a toot, every time I see promos for The Biggest Loser (the one where they offer the person $40,000 if they give up their diet) I yell at the TV....take the money and get surgery!
I saw the Oprah WW commercial and my thought was, just get the DS.

But weight loss is big business and there is no lack for people who think, just one more time...I know I can do it. I just need this or that. But we, as a group, know that for 95+% of those people, failure will happen. It's not like it's just 10-20 lbs...which is hard enough to lose but for the morbidly obese, it's a battle lost before it's begun.

Oh, and the Biggest Loser...I don't bother watching. Don't even know which network carries it. I have better things to watch.

I agree with the Oprah comments.

And the biggest loser. I used to LOVE it. The promo I see now about Temptation, no. It's just wrong. I haven't watched the past two seasons and I don't have any desire to watch it this season, especially given the theme. I know it has changed some people's lives (the show) but there are plenty of former contestants that are very unhappy with the program. And those that have gained their weight back. And the one's who are successful, and I follow a lot of them because I find them inspirational, spend 2-3 hours at the gym every day and are on a diet 24/7, with an occasional cheat or whatever. That to me seems very overwhelming.

And then there is the "eat in moderation" group. Which I have attempted so many times, sometimes successfully, but always gain the weight back. Again, I follow these people for inspiration, they learned how to let go of the power of food. A few were morbidly obese, but some just had 50 pounds to lose, or had a normal BMI, they just had eating disorders, etc. I read Andi Mitchell's book after hearing her story somewhere. She did a TedTalk that was amazing. I love Geneen Roth's books and would love to go to one of her workshops.

I don't know. I guess to each his own. I am thankful for surgery. It's needed, especially after trying it without malabsorption, I know I have tried and done everything I could, even had surgeries that were not as invasive, but when it comes down to it. I need malabsorption. And I know that it's ok to realize the need for surgery.

I strongly dislike Opra's preachy attitude and the fact that we all know diets don't work and that is what Weight Watchers is, a diet. Not to mention that is a terrible commercial.

When I see these weight loss commercials, ads, blogs and or FB comments I so want to post this.....

Beat the statistics with ‪#‎WeightLossSurgery‬. "The chance of an ‪#‎obese‬person achieving a normal body weight without the use of‪#‎bariatricsurgery‬ is 1 in 124 for women and 1 in 210 for men. In the case of severe ‪#‎obesity‬, this rate increases to 1 in 677 for women and 1 in 1,290 for men." ‪#‎DuodenalSwitch‬

Wow i just started here and feel so insure about my choice to do DS as my revisiOn from m lapband but after reading these posts i feel more confident i need surgery.

The malabsorption worries me for long term health and complications but so does staying fat.

Wow i just started here and feel so insure about my choice to do DS as my revisiOn from m lapband but after reading these posts i feel more confident i need surgery.

The malabsorption worries me for long term health and complications but so does staying fat.
Their should be no concerns about malabsorption as long you choose a DS surgeon who does the DS the proper way. Makes your common channel (CC) and alimentary limb (AL) a percentage based length of your total small bowel length (SBL) as opposed to a cookie cutter DS where CC & AL are predetermined (can work for many but can cause gross malabsorption for some like me, and inadequate weight loss for others)

Weight Watchers: I think this is a sensible program for people who have <50 lbs to lose. I've known many who have taken off weight and kept it off with WW. Of all the diet programs I have been on in my life, this was the least predatory. (I actually liked it better in the old days -- I was never a fan of the points.)

Oprah: She had access to and the money to pay for the best obesity experts in the world and fat lot of good it did her. I have thought "If this woman can have more money than god and still be fat there is no hope for me." I certainly can't fault her for promoting Optifast when it (briefly) worked for her - after all that was what was being promoted as the best option by the medical experts. She was as much a vulnerable obese victim as anyone else. Geez, it was bad enough when I packed on pounds and had to stand up in front of business associates -- she had to get on TV in front of the world. Will WW work for her long term? Probably not.

Biggest Loser: I watched one episode when it first began and was in tears before the first commercial. This is the sickest program I ever watched -- Hoarders comes in second. Who can possibly think this is entertainment??? Putting MO in tight crop tops and shorts -- no top for men -- for the world to see their rolls is the ultimate in fat shaming. In the episode I saw they brought them in to a room with tables laden with sweets and dared them to eat. How humiliating. And I don;t understand how compelling a sedentary MO or SMO person to go from zero to hours and hours of strenuous exercise is medically advisable (and while a trainer shouts insults). I stuck it out through the one episode but was so upset by it, I'd actually get sick feeling if it came up on the screen while channel surfing. And yes I've seen the "$40k to quit" ads and think "take the money and get the hell off that horrible show".

Oprah... Bah! Humbug!

I have watched her preach this or that over the years and while I feel for her I can't understand why she doesn't just fix the problem.

What makes me angry is the people she takes with her. She is a freaking BILLIONAIRE. She has her own gym, chef, and personal trainer. Her full time JOB is looking good. Oprah doesn't have to come home after 12 hours on her feet at some crap job and try to figure out how to feed, bathe, do homework, laundry, and lunches for the kids. She doesn't have $50 to feed three people when payday is a week away.

We would all look and act differently if we had her resources. She lives in another world far, far away.

She is a lying hypocritical douchebag. She knows full well that WW isn't going to work for the majority of her followers. I wouldn't be surprised if in fact she is getting some sort of WLS, perhaps a sleeve, while pretending that WW is going to finally cure her obesity - because she's bought 10% of the company.

I think she's a crook.

Also, she has what I guess might be a disabling kind of "affluenza." At a recent family gathering, I made a snide comment about the Hollywood A-lister one of my relatives occasionally works for. It was explained to me that after a few years of having others take care of your every need, you apparently lose the ability to THINK like an adult. You merely express that you have a desire or a possible need, as a child might do, and your staff makes things happen.

This family member sees this MAJOR star every couple of months, in the star's home, usually for days at a time...and has for several years. The family member knows this actor, as well many others from the past...and, we are told, MOST OF THEM...even the bright ones...become unable to do anything...and the longer you watch them up close, the more obvious it is.

So maybe Oprah believes.

Welcome Cassie! I just had a lapband to DS revision in October and life is amazing! I'm losing the weight and eating as much as I want - of course making sure I eat the right things, which for me is extremely easy because the "right" things are the things I love anyway... meats, cheeses, and other proteins. I don't feel at all like I'm on a diet (oh how I hate diets, and I totally suck at them!!) so I'm very happy about having had the DS even though I had to pay for it myself. Worth EVERY penny. :)

Welcome Cassie! I just had a lapband to DS revision in October and life is amazing! I'm losing the weight and eating as much as I want - of course making sure I eat the right things, which for me is extremely easy because the "right" things are the things I love anyway... meats, cheeses, and other proteins. I don't feel at all like I'm on a diet (oh how I hate diets, and I totally suck at them!!) so I'm very happy about having had the DS even though I had to pay for it myself. Worth EVERY penny. :)
Thank you sooooo much bebezed!!! I need to hear this! From some reasons i'm so scared and worried about everything! But i really think that need the DS.
Just trying to grasp all the changes and understand life w DS. You give me courage and strength.

Latest posts

Back