Newbie getting a revision that does not really have a name

QBB

I am a newbie here. I had the army bypass in 2003 . I'm now getting a revision that does not really have a name. They are keeping my pouch and bypass in place . They will now bypass from the colon and count up 150cm to bypass. They said it's close to a DS but not specifically the same based on my current bypass staying in place.

That is nothing like a DS because you don't have your pylorus in tact. Please reconsider what you are thinking about doing.

You are not that special - that surgery has a name - it is either a distal or extended RNY (AKA ERNY). It is the WORST of both DS and RNY. I promise you, you will regret this. I hope you weren't planning to lose any more weight, because it is unlikely anything you lose at first will stay off, especially as a revision - but you WILL be miserable from both pouch issues and GI issues - and weight regain.

Please do yourself a favor and STOP!!! Go see a real DS revision surgeon like Rabkin or Keshishian. Get a REAL DS.

You do not have an "army bypass". There is no such thing. You had gastric bypass, commonly shortened to RNY, which stands for Roux-n-Y and describes the intestinal configuration.
It's clear at this point that you don't understand what you have now and why the revision planned by your surgeon is 1) not remotely like the DS, and 2) unlikely to be of much benefit, and 3) will leave you stuck with all the problems you have now from your gastric bypass and potentially add some new GI problems to the mix.
You need to take a step, a giant step back, recognize that the people here, who have nothing to gain from spending their time trying to help you, really are trying to help you to see that you are being offered only what your surgeon knows how to do and NOT what will be an effective revision. You have absolutely nothing to lose by having a consult with a DS surgeon - a real DS surgeon, not someone who tells you - incorrectly - that you will still have your pouch and stoma and that somehow that will be "like a DS" when it won't. Get a second opinion with a real DS surgeon who does RNY to DS revisions. If you then decide that you want go with your local surgeon because that's the path of least resistance, that's your choice. But you should at least know what a DS really is and why what you are getting isn't a DS.

Your bariatric surgery group sure got lucky when you walked in the door!

To stay in business they need people who do not understand what they already have and what the surgeon is about to do next...and who have cash or good insurance.

All they have to do is bullshit you with double talk and convince you (again) that they can help you. Looks like they have succeeded.

If you do not, after all that has been explained to you here, understand that you are simply VERY confused and VERY uninformed and VERY MUCH going to the wrong place to get the VERY wrong procedure...then maybe we are all wasting our time.

I mean...this is what we do...but most people figure out that that the people who are trying to get your money are more likely to be the ones not telling you the truth...and then those people decide that it wouldn't hurt them to at least CONSULT with a decent DS surgeon like those of us who are not trying to get your money have advised.

You need to decide if you are able to be one of those people or if you simply prefer to believe the bullshit. Get whatever surgery you want, but at least know WTF you are getting.

Last edited:
And to elaborate on this:
I mean...this is what we do...but most people figure out that that the people who are trying to get your money are more likely to be the ones not telling you the truth...and then those people decide that it wouldn't hurt them to at least CONSULT with a decent DS surgeon like those of us who are not trying to get your money have advised.
We get NOTHING from trying to help you figure out what you want. No toaster, no accolades, etc. JUST the knowledge that even if we don't help you, in particular, we tried and it might help others reading this forum. That's why we are here...to help others with accurate information on their journey to health with bariatric surgery. REGARDLESS of which kind. Yes, we lean heavily to the DS but we also understand that the DS is not for everyone.

Hi. I'm in the midst of a revision from RNY with lapband to DS (via sleeve). The surgeries are confusing and you will likely hear conflicting things from doctors based on their experiences and biases. I would just urge you to please investigate further before you make any decisions. I lived with that RNY for far too long. I should have had a DS right off. That's me. We are all different. I wish you luck and please feel free to ask any questions to help clarify further.

Hi. I'm in the midst of a revision from RNY with lapband to DS (via sleeve). The surgeries are confusing and you will likely hear conflicting things from doctors based on their experiences and biases. I would just urge you to please investigate further before you make any decisions. I lived with that RNY for far too long. I should have had a DS right off. That's me. We are all different. I wish you luck and please feel free to ask any questions to help clarify further.
Welcome Revision! Strange thing. Some people don't want to hear anything that doesn't agree with what they are going to do anyway! Best of luck to you!!!

I had a Distal Rny. Could eat and was always anemic beyond belief. My pouch never stretched like it was supposed to and I couldn't eat meat. Good luck. I wish I had known about the DS in 2000. Desperate people do desperate irrational things...

Thank you all....I have been away from the board for a while. My 27 year old nephew passed away suddenly. We are devastated. He dies from a diabetic coma. He did not know he was diabetic. He had not been to a doctor in about 2 years. I'm am happy for all your advice. I have just been so caught up in my family's struggle I have not been on the boards. I have not had surgery yet. I started a supervised nutrition program they offer and have lost 31 lbs on my own so far. Still looking at the revision. My initial message had a typo. I had the rny bypass in 2003.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your nephew.
On the news today, I heard that in my state (CA) half of the adults in the state are either diabetic or prediabetic. About 9% of the adult population is diabetic (mostly type 2) and aware they are diabetic, and about 40% are either diabetic or pre-diabetic and aren't aware of it. Those numbers are so alarming that I don't know if I trust them, or if maybe some of that 40% are at risk for becoming diabetic and not aware of it and not truly prediabetic.
but none of that matters when it's your beloved family member that is lost. What a shame! I hope, in the midst of the grief and family turmoil, you won't forget about caring for your own health. Have a consult with a real DS surgeon who does revisions of RNY to DS. A consult doesn't commit you to any course of action and it's a great way to learn what are the potential risks and benefits of such a major revision.
Stay with us, you won't find the kind of support and information that we have here anywhere else.

Thank you all....I have been away from the board for a while. My 27 year old nephew passed away suddenly. We are devastated. He dies from a diabetic coma. He did not know he was diabetic. He had not been to a doctor in about 2 years. I'm am happy for all your advice. I have just been so caught up in my family's struggle I have not been on the boards. I have not had surgery yet. I started a supervised nutrition program they offer and have lost 31 lbs on my own so far. Still looking at the revision. My initial message had a typo. I had the rny bypass in 2003.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had a Distal Rny. Could eat and was always anemic beyond belief. My pouch never stretched like it was supposed to and I couldn't eat meat. Good luck. I wish I had known about the DS in 2000. Desperate people do desperate irrational things...
Wow you are so close. I'm happy for you!

Thank you for the kind words. I'm working on daily exercise and a supervised diet at the moment. My sister had her sleeve done the week after we buried her son. It's been a tough road. I'm preparing myself by changing habits and getting used to a new way of eating before going forward. Emotionally I am very fragile. I must be successful this time.

Latest posts

Back