Newbie from Texas looking for DS surgeon in Mexico or Texas

engrmom40

Hi everyone! Happy to be here. I am planning surgery in August and am seriously considering Dr Esquerra from Mexicali Bariatrics. This will be my 1st (and hopefully only) WLS. A little nervous about leaving the country for a complex surgery so I'm also looking for Texas surgeons as consult. I'm self pay. Any advice is greatly recommended!!

Esquerra grad here. You'll do fine with Esquerra. There are many active threads on him now. Several people here are heading there in the next month.

Hi and welcome!
In TX, the only DS surgeon most people here would recommend is Dr. Ayoola in Denton. I have no idea what his cost would be for self pay but strongly suspect Mexico will be much less. Hopefully more of Dr. Esquerra's patients will chime in.

Hi there! There is also a Dr closer to you, Dr. Alvarez. I've heard a lot of great things about him and he has books on Amazon Kindle a channel on you tube. They pick their patients up even in San Antonio and being them back. Just in case the distance to Mexicali would inconvenient. I don't know if I could give you a link here...
I was considering going to Alvarez but then found my insurance from work actually covers me. I don't have the cash or I probably would have chosen him anyway.
Good luck to you

PS, I'm sorry, I had just checked on Dr. Alvarez's site and it looks like he doesn't do the DS. His practice is located in Piedras Negras, Coahuila

Hi there! There is also a Dr closer to you, Dr. Alvarez. I've heard a lot of great things about him and he has books on Amazon Kindle a channel on you tube. They pick their patients up even in San Antonio and being them back. Just in case the distance to Mexicali would inconvenient. I don't know if I could give you a link here...
I was considering going to Alvarez but then found my insurance from work actually covers me. I don't have the cash or I probably would have chosen him anyway.
Good luck to you

PS, I'm sorry, I had just checked on Dr. Alvarez's site and it looks like he doesn't do the DS. His practice is located in Piedras Negras, Coahuila

There is only one known DS surgeon in Mexico...and that is Dr. Esquerra. There use to be two but one died in a plane crash in 2014 and just this year, after training Dr. Esquerra, Dr. Ungson took a government job and stopped doing surgery.

Hey there, I too am an Esquerra grad!! Had a lapband to DS on Feb 4th 2016. No regrets, think I made a great choice. I would strongly recommend this surgeon and all supporting staff at Mexicalli Bariatrics. I'm down almost 60lbs and feeling good. I have to give special mention to his anesthesiologist Dr Guerrero, he's an awesome anesthesiologist, one of the absolute best I've encountered. I would head straight to Mexicali where not only will you get the most bang for your buck you'll also get one of thee most skilled surgical teams!!!

Latest posts

Back