New to WLS

nt1432

Hi my name is Nikki. I am currently 376 pounds 5'4"
I went in for my first surgical consult yesterday, interested in gastric sleeve, but as I thought, the surgeon is recommending DS. Now I'm feeling more nervous with this being a more serious surgery. He doesn't think I will lose enough with the sleeve only. I am here just looking for all the support and answers I can find as I make my decision. Thanks

Hi and welcome!
You are so very fortunate to have found a surgeon who does the DS and recognized that it would be the best choice for your circumstances. May I ask who is your surgeon?

Hi, Nikki

Now I'm feeling more nervous with this being a more serious surgery.

gastric bypass is also a serious surgery, but either way it's perfectly normal to be nervous about it.

I am one of the few here who did not have a DS but you will find a lot of experienced, smart people to talk to if you post questions here.

we can be more help if we know more about you so feel free to talk about what you have tried in the past and how it's worked for you.

:welcome2:

Hi and welcome nt1432! DS is a great consideration. Malabsorption is a necessary element for most with respect to keeping the weight off long term.

My sister had a BMI close to yours. She didn’t want the DS. She lost LOTS of weight…and then regained it all and more.

While that CAN happen with the DS, it happens far more frequently with the sleeve because there is no malabsorption*. The sleeve isn’t a “bad” surgery. As you know, it is half of the DS. But many of us need the other half and these days, too many insurance companies are saying that you get ONE bariatric surgery per LIFETIME, and won’t pay for a revision even if you had your first surgery under a different insurance company!

My DS was in 2005. I lost +/-135# and mostly KEPT IT OFF FOR 17 years.

*Malabsorption can cause other issues. Not everyone will have those, but probably most will deal with some issues. You’ll need blood tests to see if your malabsorption is causing any problems that need treatment. My most recent problem was that because I don’t absorb Vitamin K, my blood takes a bit too long to clot. I had to postpone a (non-urgent) surgery and take MEGA Vitamin K pills for a week. Not the end of the world, but a “price I have to pay” to keep the 135# off AND stay healthy. Worth it to me, but some may not think so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back