Newbie apology

Vanessa Lucero

As a newbie...I'd like to apologize on behalf of the newbies...for all the asinine newbie posts you vets have to weed through every day.
Good. Lord.
But thank you, thank you, thank you for the valuable information you supply...albeit OVER and OVER again. DSFacts is a valuable tool!

I'm becoming less of a newbie, but no less asinine. I'll second the thanks for the vets who have the patience for newbies and Peter Pan syndrome perma-newbies like me!

I'm becoming less of a newbie, but no less asinine. I'll second the thanks for the vets who have the patience for newbies and Peter Pan syndrome perma-newbies like me!
I think I was about four years out when I dcided I wasn't a newbie anymore.

But, Hilary! You are so well -informed on every topic, I think of you as a vet from whom I should seek advice...and I'm pushing nine years out! Go figure.

Thanks for the kind words, but I clearly need to add disclosures, as I am very much a newbie. I am just now approaching my 2 year anniversary. Beyond that, I frequently make a terrible mess of things! E.g. not having a pill organizer and swallowing enough niacin to turn into a maraschino cherry just last week. Mainly I'm just hoping that others can learn from my mistakes. :)

I am a newbie. 7 weeks out. I have probably had my share of annoying post or questions, but I must say some of the newbies on the Facebook group scare me. I have seen so many ridiculous and ignorant posts on there. This group appears to be much more educated regarding the DS. If nothing else, it appears most newbies on this page at least listen to the advice given. I cannot say the same for many on the FB page.

The problem with Facebook groups is that the format is not conducive to research. Subjects can be discussed on a regular basis but good information is still lost to new members or those that only visit the group occasionally. On a message board you can search and read back posts... especially if they are well organized.

I know that when I was 9 years out and hadn't visited a board in years, I had questions about the current thinking on supplementation. I went to OH and first read back months worth of posts (unfortunately, their board is not very good) to get a feeling for who had the best information, what the dynamics were between members, and what advice had already been given before I posted my first post there.

There is a search function on FB groups. It's not wonderful (though it's a LOT better than OH), but it's somewhat helpful. The people who prompted this thread couldn't be bothered to use it. Drives me batty at times.

The facebook group is where I get a lot of my information. The search function and the files are good. Better than many other forums. I guess what I was referring to on the FB group are the newbies who post a question, get 50+ replies of good advice, than do the complete opposite and come back for more advice. Certain ones make it very clear they won't do their own research and want to be spoon fed every bit. I am a newbie. Super new, but I prefer to research and get several points of view. I don't want people, who have their own life, own job, own family, to do all the research pertaining to my life. I love the support, and advice, but I think people have an obligation, after such an extreme life changing surgery, to do some research on their own. If they aren't going to do it, than at the very least take the advice given from the vets!!

Latest posts

Back