New to group. Need advise

tinkerbellintex

Had Gastric Bypass 20 years ago. Have regained some weight. Need to lose about 60. Went for consultation for revision and he suggests the switch. I’m nervous. Any advise?

Last edited:
Smart doctor. Since you are in TX(?), maybe Ayoola? Good idea!

The standard proximal RNY doesn’t bypass much and by the 2 year mark your body has adapted and many start gaining weight.

Welcome!
You are very fortunate. Most bariatric surgeons would just blame you for regaining, when in reality there is a substantial failure rate for gastric bypass. In other words, the operation failed, not you. Also, he didn't recommend going from proximal to distal bypass, which results in little weight loss, or band over bypass, or one of the endoscopic procedures which (sadly) don't work well.
Revising from gastric bypass to DS is a big operation with substantial risk and is done by only a small number of surgeons. Make sure your surgeon has extensive experience with the DS and with revisions to the DS. But if you are serious about wanting to lose weight and maintain that weight loss, the DS is your best option.
And we would love to know who your surgeon is!

Well... it works.. no more MO.. takes out most comorbidities too.. works well in revision too.

Downside, well most serious problem is said to be nutritional concerns, but, IMO, ... the real concern is farting and pooping... forever more your superpower will be exact knowledge of every toilet in your vicinity, no matter where you are.

Your zinc may be low, you may be anemic, and , post menopause ( if that's your gender) your bones may turn to mush because of calcium deficiency.... but all these difficulties are hidden, and, with care, treatable, and, possibly, avoidable.

The farting, however, is phenomenal, uncontrollable, inevitable, and on public display. If only I had this power as a boy, I'd be the envy of 10 year Olds everywhere: Emptying Auditoriums with a single toot, gaging school chums indoors and out, making long trips in closed spaces a perfect agony for all.

Toot toot....

Well... it works.. no more MO.. takes out most comorbidities too.. works well in revision too.

Downside, well most serious problem is said to be nutritional concerns, but, IMO, ... the real concern is farting and pooping... forever more your superpower will be exact knowledge of every toilet in your vicinity, no matter where you are.

Your zinc may be low, you may be anemic, and , post menopause ( if that's your gender) your bones may turn to mush because of calcium deficiency.... but all these difficulties are hidden, and, with care, treatable, and, possibly, avoidable.

The farting, however, is phenomenal, uncontrollable, inevitable, and on public display. If only I had this power as a boy, I'd be the envy of 10 year Olds everywhere: Emptying Auditoriums with a single toot, gaging school chums indoors and out, making long trips in closed spaces a perfect agony for all.

Toot toot....
Yes, but…a rather complicated routine investigating the effects of FODMAPS on our GI system can produce miracles in two or three days.

Weird stuff…like a sweet, ripe banana can cause gastric chaos, but if it’s greenish…and you eat HALF now and the other half in THREE hours…then, no problem.

And that timing is important. It appears that if we eat and then give our bodies that time to process what’s in there, we DON’T pile food on top of food and cause fermentation to start taking place.

I VERY MUCH recommend getting help from a MONASH UNIVERSITY certified nutritional counselor and maybe the MONASH app…it’s $7 or $8 and worth it. It HAS an option to take their $30 online course but through another site, I paid $99, for three appointments, to work with a live RD who has a several-week-long program to follow. (I haven’t finished. My fault.)

Suggestions:
Most of the literature is directed toward IBS patients. Ignore that and try it anyway.
Often, onions and garlic are a big part of the problem. (Don’t whine at me…I’m half Italian and half Mexican. Try THAT with no onion or garlic.)
Some of the Low FODMAP sites are way too complicated; find better sites!
Don’t try to follow the online charts, too much info is missing.
You don’t need an IBS diagnosis to experience improvement.

Yes, but…a rather complicated routine investigating the effects of FODMAPS on our GI system can produce miracles in two or three days.

Weird stuff…like a sweet, ripe banana can cause gastric chaos, but if it’s greenish…and you eat HALF now and the other half in THREE hours…then, no problem.

And that timing is important. It appears that if we eat and then give our bodies that time to process what’s in there, we DON’T pile food on top of food and cause fermentation to start taking place.

I VERY MUCH recommend getting help from a MONASH UNIVERSITY certified nutritional counselor and maybe the MONASH app…it’s $7 or $8 and worth it. It HAS an option to take their $30 online course but through another site, I paid $99, for three appointments, to work with a live RD who has a several-week-long program to follow. (I haven’t finished. My fault.)

Suggestions:
Most of the literature is directed toward IBS patients. Ignore that and try it anyway.
Often, onions and garlic are a big part of the problem. (Don’t whine at me…I’m half Italian and half Mexican. Try THAT with no onion or garlic.)
Some of the Low FODMAP sites are way too complicated; find better sites!
Don’t try to follow the online charts, too much info is missing.
You don’t need an IBS diagnosis to experience improvement.
I'm half Italian/ half Mexican too....

Latest posts

Back