New here. 5 weeks out and I can't take it anymore

I'm so sorry to hear what a bad time you are having. I hope it is nothing serious and is resolved soon.

In terms of pure symptomatic relief for nausea, I'm a simple machine: If you say "nausea", I say "ginger". I'd try sucking on sliver of pickled (sushi) ginger or maybe candied ginger. Though I didn't have much nausea right after the DS, I have occasionally had nausea throughout my life and have never had a little bit of ginger fail me.

Sorry you are having a hard time. Have you tried the patches? Sometimes those work well.

Why would ANY surgeon leave in an already compromised gallbladder...

Show low AZ. So far no one in Phoenix will see me. We are still calling around.
K when you said the valley I wasn't sure which valley. I lived in Chandler for 3 years.

To my knowledge the only DS surgeon in Phoenix is/was a butcher who you want to run from... Some others will know the name.

Dr Keshshian just did my revision buy he is in Pasadena..... If your surgeon office isn't helping he can advise

Sorry I thought I posted this response this afternoon, but I guess I didn't hit reply.

In any case, I think Larra and others have given some pretty solid advice. I hope you can get some relief soon.

Show low AZ. So far no one in Phoenix will see me. We are still calling around.
I grew up in the White Mountains, but just a little ways into NM. I really miss that country. My mother lives near Payson.
I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time.

I had TPN once in the hospital. Not since I've been home a week and just barely got a banana bag today. Called my PCP and requested it be mixed with D5 instead or norm saline bc I can't put on a shirt without leaning against a wall. I haven't eaten in 5 weeks. No one seems to be overly worried that I CAN'T F'ING EAT!! My surgeon is in Mexico, so can't manage any of my issues. I'm getting a Hyda scan next week. I've had just about every diagnostic test. It's beyond frustrating.
I'll talk to doc about TPN , wasn't wild about the diarrhea, but did feel better 24 hours later as far as fatigue.
Thanks!!

Umm you need to go see your surgeon before your being sick, sick, sick turns into something worse like dead dead dead. To be honest if I were in trouble like that again I do not believe that there is a Dr. In AZ that I feel could help me out. When I did get in trouble Dr. K dictated my care from CA. Then when I went to nursing home and home with ten in my picc line the home health nurse and dietician took charge but before one move was made the had to get Dr K approval. Who put you on the TPN? YOU do have TPN running not just I've fluids.

@Charris
I had TPN once in the hospital. Not since I've been home a week and just barely got a banana bag today. Called my PCP and requested it be mixed with D5 instead or norm saline bc I can't put on a shirt without leaning against a wall. I haven't eaten in 5 weeks. No one seems to be overly worried that I CAN'T F'ING EAT!! My surgeon is in Mexico, so can't manage any of my issues. I'm getting a Hyda scan next week. I've had just about every diagnostic test. It's beyond frustrating.
I'll talk to doc about TPN , wasn't wild about the diarrhea, but did feel better 24 hours later as far as fatigue.
Thanks!!

If your gall bladder is full of sludge it needs to come out. Mine was sludged and when the surgeon took it out he said it was definitely bad. BTW, you won't be able to have a HIDA scan with a sludge filled gallbladder.

Sounds like you might need a barrium swallow and follow to rule out a stoma.

I am trying to read back through the posts but there is a lot of stuff to sift through. Do you have a PICC line and a feeding tube? Did Dr ungson tell you he had to deal with a lot of adhesions or anything else that would make your healing slow? It does take a while for the stomach to heal and my first month was horrible with me being on Carrafate in addition to my normal omeprazole for GERD. THe carrafate helped immensely.

In any case it sound to me like a stoma is very possible so if you aren't getting anything from your PCP or Ungson I would suggest you get hold of Dr K. If you explain what is going on he will respond quickly...he is unbelievable in that regard and will tell you what he thinks might be a good course of action.

I would also get your op report from ungson and find out what size he made your sleeve. I am a huge advocate for a large a sleeve as possible as I think restriction is highly overrated and excessive restriction is just cruel and unusual punishment.

@DSRIGGS recently It seems Dr
K is wanting out of state patients that arent his to deal with dr. In their state. Trust me when I tell you that.

@Raqandro your dr is in Mexico. So who put you on the picc line? You have a perfectly good picc line and are not using it for TPN? I know TPN is expensive you definitely need a Dr to advocate for you. A bag with out the lipids was costing my insurance 1000 the one with lipids was almost 2000. Then of course the TPN company dietician felt I needed to have the lipids every day instead of twice a week. Uggh. I'd get to a different ER. I'd try the Mayo clinic or if worse came to worse Thunderbird in Glendale. That's where I was and they had no clue about anything DS to do but we're willing to learn and ended up saving my life.

If your surgeon is in Mexico have you at least made contact and sought guidance from him? If you let yourself get as bad as I was before I went to ER NONRESPONSIVE you may die. I know Show low is a long way, couple of hours, from Phoenix but you have to do something. If you can't eat can you at least get some protein drinks down?

Just wanted to offer some (((HUGS))). I am glad you reached out on here and I hope you get some relief soon.

My PCP is directing my care. I contact my surgeon every other day. They've not offered much else except what my PCP is already doing. I'm definitely not letting myself deteriorate. I've had every scan, ultrasound, swallow, EGD test there is. My PCP has now ordered a hyda scan. Im an NP and hubby is a physician, so we reasearch everything with an understanding of what it is. I've been disappointed with my surgeons aftercare. It's his internist that does the aftercare, not the surgeon. Next week, we're going to demand to speak with my surgeon.
I'm contacting my PCP today about TPN. thanks for forcing the issue, I think you're right. At this point I've met my deductable, staying in the hospital 6 days. My PCP guided my care there too, not the ER Doc. Once I was admitted, I was no longer in the ER.
Thanks again!

@DSRIGGS recently It seems Dr
K is wanting out of state patients that arent his to deal with dr. In their state. Trust me when I tell you that.

@Raqandro your dr is in Mexico. So who put you on the picc line? You have a perfectly good picc line and are not using it for TPN? I know TPN is expensive you definitely need a Dr to advocate for you. A bag with out the lipids was costing my insurance 1000 the one with lipids was almost 2000. Then of course the TPN company dietician felt I needed to have the lipids every day instead of twice a week. Uggh. I'd get to a different ER. I'd try the Mayo clinic or if worse came to worse Thunderbird in Glendale. That's where I was and they had no clue about anything DS to do but we're willing to learn and ended up saving my life.

If your surgeon is in Mexico have you at least made contact and sought guidance from him? If you let yourself get as bad as I was before I went to ER NONRESPONSIVE you may die. I know Show low is a long way, couple of hours, from Phoenix but you have to do something. If you can't eat can you at least get some protein drinks down?

Raqandro, I am so sorry for all this shit you are going through. At a month out I was right where you are physically. Not the same problems, but nutritionally, sure sounds similar. and yep, I had big old buyers remorse! I think the idea of TPN is great to get you over the hump. If your GB is bad then it too, could be causing the pancreatitis. I remember looking at my intake thinking, hell no wonder I felt like hell, I was starving. I did not need TPN as I was finally able to eat. Since you are a NP and you sleep with a doc, you have a good understanding of what is going on. Hell, without protein intake your incisions cannot heal.

I hate your surgeon is in Mexico, he is the one that should be handling all this and your ass should be in the hospital getting it taken care of. I am pulling for you, and know that this will pass.

You cracked me up!! "Sleeping with a doc".

We're calling my surgeon tomorrow demanding he collaborate with my PCP, who is super sweet but just not educated on the DS well enough.

I've read such great things about Dr Ungson but really have been disenchanted with his aftercare. He should Def be more worried about his patient starving for 5 weeks.

Thanks for the loving words everyone, they mean a lot!

Raqandro, I am so sorry for all this shit you are going through. At a month out I was right where you are physically. Not the same problems, but nutritionally, sure sounds similar. and yep, I had big old buyers remorse! I think the idea of TPN is great to get you over the hump. If your GB is bad then it too, could be causing the pancreatitis. I remember looking at my intake thinking, hell no wonder I felt like hell, I was starving. I did not need TPN as I was finally able to eat. Since you are a NP and you sleep with a doc, you have a good understanding of what is going on. Hell, without protein intake your incisions cannot heal.

I hate your surgeon is in Mexico, he is the one that should be handling all this and your ass should be in the hospital getting it taken care of. I am pulling for you, and know that this will pass.

@Raqandro it might do you well to have a copy of one the super docs year lab slip with you when you seek help, So that the doctors can see what exactly they should be checking to get you better

Latest posts

Back