NEED SOME REASSURANCE

Barbara

Well I am 3 1/2 weeks post op (7/13). Also had spleen, gall bladder and appendix removed. Was in rehab for 11 days. Home a week. Feeling emotional - to be expected, I know. Very weak. Suggestions for getting strength back? Unable to drive. PT says I can't. Feeling very discouraged.

Barbara, you will get stronger every day. Force yourself to walk a little bit more each day and don't judge your weakness or fatigue. Your surgery was complicated and I'm sure you are impatient to be feeling better. bUT, this will all seem like a distant memory very soon. Hang in there!

Barbara I am sorry you have had a rough go so far but it will get better and the strength will slowly but surely come back. It isn't always what we want to hear but this is marathon and not a sprint, so please know that it is perfectly normal to be very tired and weak at this stage... Especially having endured what you have.

I can't remember if you are on a feeding tube and if you are able to eat now? Either way hydration and just walking around the house or apartment is really the best thing you can do for yourself physically. You still need a lot of sleep at this stage as well.

Emotionally this board is a great place of support so take advantage of the people here. Ask questions and just stay engaged.

You can do this and we are here to help.

Hang in there Barbara. Take it one day at a time. This surgery knocked me on my ass too. I was so weak in the beginning I had to sit down to take a shower. I was exhausted just walking up the stairs to my bedroom. It will get better it just takes time. It's a slow progression as your body heals and as you're able to take in more food. Make hydration your first priority. Rest too. Walking is good but don't overdo it since you're feeling so weak. It was between 6-8 weeks when I began to notice a significant improvement.

I remember I took a 5 day trip to Austin, TX in late May and a week long trip to Seattle 2 weeks after that and I felt great on both those trips. So that was around 3 1/2 to 4 months post op. I was down a significant amount of weight and feeling somewhat normal. That's not too far off for you. You'll get there! The first month to 6 weeks you just have to get through as best you can. It's all worth it. You can do this!

It takes time, Barbara. You will get there. I know at the 3 month mark I was renovating a kitchen and bathroom but it took at least 8-10 weeks to get there. And MINE was JUST the DS and done lap to boot!

I didn't have half as much surgery as you did and was still knocked off my feet post-op. Give yourself the gift of time. Just try to walk a little bit more, or a couple more times, each day. Keep up on your hydration and get in as much protein as you can. One of these days, you will realize that you are feeling so much better, but it takes awhile for the exhaustion to resolve and the benefits of the weight loss to kick in.

Hang in there a while longer. You are not 19 years old. You had a HUGE open surgery. I realize it feels like it has been forever, but you've only been at home for a matter of days. It's already getting better. In a few more weeks this will be a distant memory.

All I did was walk around the park near my apt. Started at twice a day and made it up to four. I was exhausted, weak and unsteady. Just give it time.

Just thinking of you and hoping you feel better soon! I can't recall offhand others having their spleen removed with a bariatric surgery. That's quite a lot for your body to endure all at once. It will get a bit better every day. Please stay hydrated - in my view, it is the most important thing!

I was knocked on my arse. Walking short distances was difficult. But I kept trying to walk a little farther. Some days I did, some days not so much. Take care of yourself, it's process ((((hugs))))

Hang tough, Barbara and know that every day is a little better than the one before. Do what you can, but allow your body the time it needs to heal as it will. You will get through this and as EN said, it will all soon be a distant memory.
:hugs:

Thanks everyone. I wish I felt more positive. My PT doesn't want me walking outside yet. Notsturdy enough. Can't walk through my very small house twice without being out of breath. Nothing interests me-- tv, reading, internet. Just find I stare into space. And an hour goes by. I'll be 4 weeks Monday. Thought I'd be in better shape.

Latest posts

Back