Need help with swallowing vitamins and drinking protein shakes

Thanks everybody. I will try all of these suggestions until I find something that works. I have purchased some the calcium and the magnesium in a liquid. I have not tried it yet. I got the vitamin K2 in a sublingual form that dissolves under the tongue. I have a chewable multivitamin. I have not found the Vitamin D yet well actually I got that in prescription but I know that will not work after surgery. The garden lf life probiotic does not look that big I got it on sale yesterday. I do not have the heme iron, vitamin A, or the vitamin D which I think will all be a pill.

Yes, ^^^ this. I had trouble with large pills as a pre-op and I struggled afterward, but it gets easier. Trial and error taught me what Whit said about the capsules, and the opposite for the tablets- head back and they go right down. Plus I found it much easier to swallow anything when drinking from the protein shaker than with anything else, I think it has to do with the amount of liquid flowing directly from the center? Using a straw is still hard for swallowing the big vites, but I can do it if I need to.

Lots of Dr. K patients say their feeding tube, while annoying, is a saving grace for the early stages of recovery since they don't have to worry about whether or not they can get down their protein and whatever else they would ordinarily need to swallow.

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Also, it's worth mentioning that most of these supplements are small. The only things that are large (in my arsenal) are the multi, calcium and magnesium, and I use the petite calcium to help with that even though I don't even really need to anymore. All the other ones I can do a 3-4 at a time now :)

@cboone around 6 months. But anyone who knows me knows I've been a problem child since day one. My incision busted open. I had problems with vomiting to the point it would be coming out my nose. Dr K said that the j tube was my insurance he didn't care how long I kept it. I just needed to be able to sustain my own hydration and nutrition. He said as bad as I didn't want him to have to open me up was as bad or worse that he didn't want to have to. Lol

Latest posts

Back