Need help with swallowing vitamins and drinking protein shakes

cboone

Hi Everyone,

My surgery date is in 10 days with Dr. K. I am researching protein shakes and vitamins. I have a problem swallowing big pills. I think they get stuck in my throat and sometimes vomit. I cant tell the size of the vitamins before ordering. It would be helpful if they were all liquid or chewable. Can anyone tell me which ones are chewable and/or liquid and where to get those from? I also get my pills down with them stuffed into a spoon of ice-cream. If I had to use ice-cream, could I use no sugar added ice-cream or would that have a negative effect on my DS surgery/weight loss efforts?

I also had the hardest time finding a protein shake I could drink without holding my nose. I use the GNC Go lean ready made protein shakes in chocolate only. I hate the strawberry and the vanilla. But I notice that it is a protein blend and not a protein isolate? It would ne nice if I could sample some first but any recommendations?

Hi Everyone,

My surgery date is in 10 days with Dr. K. I am researching protein shakes and vitamins. I have a problem swallowing big pills. I think they get stuck in my throat and sometimes vomit. I cant tell the size of the vitamins before ordering. It would be helpful if they were all liquid or chewable. Can anyone tell me which ones are chewable and/or liquid and where to get those from? I also get my pills down with them stuffed into a spoon of ice-cream. If I had to use ice-cream, could I use no sugar added ice-cream or would that have a negative effect on my DS surgery/weight loss efforts?

I also had the hardest time finding a protein shake I could drink without holding my nose. I use the GNC Go lean ready made protein shakes in chocolate only. I hate the strawberry and the vanilla. But I notice that it is a protein blend and not a protein isolate? It would ne nice if I could sample some first but any recommendations?
The best protein is ONE YOU WILL drink and can afford. Just be aware that blends have more milk in them and may make you sick after surgery if you become lactose intolerant. And what tastes good pre-op may be nasty post-op.

As to vitamins...most of the ones that Vitalady sells under her Tender label are very small. Her calcium is in a capsule and CAN be taken out of the capsule and added to water/soft food/etc. The only one that really might be an issue is the multi...find a centrum equivalent that is very petite.

Just do NOT even think of ice cream for now...1) you may become lactose intolerant and if it happens, ice cream is off the table for the most part...2) it is a carb...a carb you need to take out of your life except for an OCCASIONAL treat (like maybe once every year) until you reach goal...and then not often.

It's not a never again...altho for me it is as I became severely lactose intolerant right after surgery...even now, milk and ice cream are off the table.

I have issues swallowing large pills too. Always have. I cut the tablets in half. For capsule if you tip you head forward they will float to the back making it easier to swallow.

I like Cytomax Chocolate from Costco. I have been using it from day one.

I was lactose intolerant with my RNY and my RNY-Revision for a while afterwards but not too long. This scares me because I know my existence involves taking vitamins. Dr. K says that I will have a feeding tube for 6 weeks that will help with the protein shakes initially. I am going to need a breakdown of the size of the pills. I need to take them normally like everybody else. I am going to work on that.

Get a pill cutter. About $5 at Walmart and probably at every drugstore around. I have the same problem and this has been the solution for the large pills I sometimes need (like for example certain antibiotics).

I was lactose intolerant with my RNY and my RNY-Revision for a while afterwards but not too long. This scares me because I know my existence involves taking vitamins. Dr. K says that I will have a feeding tube for 6 weeks that will help with the protein shakes initially. I am going to need a breakdown of the size of the pills. I need to take them normally like everybody else. I am going to work on that.
@cboone without being too nosey (if that's possible) can you tell me why you will be on a feeding tube for 6 weeks? I too will be r n y revision to DS. Thanks.

I think Dr. K said the feeding tube would be used to reintroduce food to the system and more importantly to ensure nutritional needs are being met.

I am a Dr. K revision patient. I went home with a feeding tube. I used it for all water and protein (liquid). It was no big deal. I know he trys to have you eat and drink by mouth. But everyone is different. The tube is incase you can not. I needed mine. When I was able to get nourishment by mouth I used it to get all my water and protein in if I needed it. I crushed my pain killers and put them in the tube as well.

Early out you do not need to worry about Vits.

For capsule if you tip you head forward they will float to the back making it easier to swallow.
Yes, ^^^ this. I had trouble with large pills as a pre-op and I struggled afterward, but it gets easier. Trial and error taught me what Whit said about the capsules, and the opposite for the tablets- head back and they go right down. Plus I found it much easier to swallow anything when drinking from the protein shaker than with anything else, I think it has to do with the amount of liquid flowing directly from the center? Using a straw is still hard for swallowing the big vites, but I can do it if I need to.

Lots of Dr. K patients say their feeding tube, while annoying, is a saving grace for the early stages of recovery since they don't have to worry about whether or not they can get down their protein and whatever else they would ordinarily need to swallow.

In the hospital when I was really sick and they had to give me my pills they put like 6 to 10 pills inside of pudding depending on the size. Then when I went to the nursing home they used all natural apple sauce. You know as many pills as we/I was taking they didn't want to take the time for me to swallow each pill one by one especially since I was choking a lot. It worked and now my sil makes sure that I have an unlimited supply of both to get my meds in.
Edit spelling

@Barbara every revision with Dr K gets a j tube (feeding tube) I had problems in the beginning( I KNOW Most of you can't believe it lmfao) and had my j tube FOREVER but it was a miracle/life saver.

Also the are tons of vies that come in liquid and chewable I believe Vitaly has a mostly chewable option

Latest posts

Back