My "Nothing to be worried about" 3 Month Labs

Brandy

Freddled gruntbuggly
Below are the values that are out of range from my three month tests.

upload_2014-12-24_12-53-57.png

Nothing seems too out of whack to me. Am I'm missing anything?

The doctor said the ALT and CRP and Red Blood Cells were probably all just a little off because I'm still recovering from the surgery.

The Ferritin .vs. Iron Saturation seem to saying opposite warnings, something like, "Yes, you have lots of iron stored, but the saturation is low." Does anybody understand this? Especially since a H RDW and a L MCHC can mean anemia. Anemia runs in my family and I have fought it all my life. I am taking one Proferrin a day now, should I up that? (I'm post menopausal and I make sure I eat a lot of steak.)

According to the internet, PT Patient might mean I should up my K. My straight up K1 test said that I in the middle of the range. Is this a K2 thing?

Thanks in advance!!!

I can't not say how relieved I was by my calcium/PTH (9.7 / 32). I've been having a devil of time upping my calcium dose without having my whole system shut down with constipation. I'm up to 1500 a day now and it's nice to know that I can continue a slow and steady increase without too many bad consequences down the road.

Disclaimer...I know NOTHING about science, in any form.

Civilian Opinion...

•At three months, your body is surprised that with whatever the hell happened in there, you are still alive...I'm not sure ANYTHING needs to be normal yet.

•Have you been taking, maybe, double multivitamins or other vitamin "cocktails," such that you are taking more B6 than you need?

•Here's some info on iron tests... http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/serum-iron/tab/test/

•One little complaint about doctors...they tend to forget to factor in how long it takes us...with malabsorption...to recover from something that is just "a little" out of range. We like to keep an eye on them when they don't want to go after a result that is heading the wrong way...and once it IS out of range, we need keep an eagle eye on it.

Are you taking a B Complex and or the Calcium Citrate by Kirkland? These are usually where the extra B6 shows up. Why Kirkland stuck B6 in their calcium citrate, I have yet to figure out but it's why MY husband and I stopped using that particular calcium.

Are you taking a B Complex and or the Calcium Citrate by Kirkland?

Good catch!!! I take two Kirkland Calcium Citrate Magnesium and Zink, which gives me 10 mg of B6, which they say is 500% of the RDA for normal people.

After the note for my B6 results, my lab results say "Reference range applies to individuals who are not taking Vitamin B6 supplements."

Does that mean I shouldn't worry about being above the range or that the whole test is invalid or something else?

Disclaimer...I know NOTHING about science, in any form. ... One little complaint about doctors...they tend to forget to factor in how long it takes us...with malabsorption...to recover from something that is just "a little" out of range. We like to keep an eye on them when they don't want to go after a result that is heading the wrong way...and once it IS out of range, we need keep an eagle eye on it.

Yes, I figure the point of the three month tests is really so that when you take your six months tests you can see trends. I knew I was being a little silly, but I was worried about a bad surprise since I didn't have any pre-surgery blood work. And I was worried about my calcium/PTH levels 'cuz I struggle getting the calcium in. But even then, three months in nutrition time is awfully short.

Thanks!

Good catch!!! I take two Kirkland Calcium Citrate Magnesium and Zink, which gives me 10 mg of B6, which they say is 500% of the RDA for normal people.

After the note for my B6 results, my lab results say "Reference range applies to individuals who are not taking Vitamin B6 supplements."

Does that mean I shouldn't worry about being above the range or that the whole test is invalid or something else?

If that were my result, I would do what I could to stop taking too much B-6. I need A LOT of calcium. When Kirkland adds B-6 to the calcium I'm taking A LOT of, I'm then ALSO taking A LOT of something that, in excess, has toxicity issues. I can't think of a reason to do that.

Meanwhile...my calcium is this one...four chalk flavors...chocolate chalk, wild cherry chalk, cinnamon chalk and mint chalk. But easily doable. I chew up five to six per day.

I do not do the chewy bites, because they have sugar alcohols.

https://www1.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog/us-en/2/Calcium

Toxic levels of B6 can cause permanent neurological damage. Switch away from the calcium with B6 added. Which multi are you taking and how much cause the B6 in JUST your multi may be plenty.

You want B6 in range not above or below BUT like PTH, B6 can be low NORMAL and be fine.

My b6 has been twice the upper limit for as long as it has been tested....since 2011. With an upper limit if 125 at my lab...my highest result was 325 and it was 225 this last go around. I take no additional b6, nor have I ever. There is sime in my multi and that is all. How can I get this down if I am really not taking any extra? Stumpt, lol.

My b6 has been twice the upper limit for as long as it has been tested....since 2011. With an upper limit if 125 at my lab...my highest result was 325 and it was 225 this last go around. I take no additional b6, nor have I ever. There is sime in my multi and that is all. How can I get this down if I am really not taking any extra? Stumpt, lol.
Okay, THAT has me stumped.

Check all your vitamins and see if any have it added...besides your multi. Are you taking a B Complex or the Kirkland brand of Calcium Citrate? Those are the only places I can think that it might be besides the multi.

I just did a quick search on "Foods High in B6." http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-vitamin-B6.php

Is there a chance you are eating a lot of something like one of these?

#1: Sunflower Seeds
Vitamin B6 in 100gPer cup (140g)Per ounce (28g)
1.35mg (67% DV)1.88mg (94% DV)0.38mg (19% DV)
Other Seeds High in Vitamin B6 (%DV per ounce): Sesame Seeds (11%), Flaxseeds (7%), and Pumpkin & Squash Seeds (2%).
pistachios.jpg

#2: Pistachio Nuts
Vitamin B6 in 100gPer cup (123g)Per ounce (28g)
1.12mg (56% DV)1.38mg (69% DV)0.31mg (16% DV)
Other Nuts High in Vitamin B6 (%DV per ounce): Hazelnuts (9%), Walnuts (8%), Peanuts (6%), Macadamia (5%), and Cashews (4%).

tuna.jpg

#3: Fish (Tuna, Cooked)
Vitamin B6 in 100gPer ounce (28g)Per 3oz (85g)
1.04mg (52% DV)0.29mg (15% DV)0.88mg (44% DV)
Other Fish High in Vitamin B6 (%DV per 3oz, cooked): Wild Salmon (40%), Salmon (29%), Halibut (27%), Swordfish (26%), and Herring (22%).

chicken.jpg

#4: Turkey & Chicken (Turkey, Light Meat, Cooked)
Vitamin B6 in 100gPer ounce (28g)Per 3oz (85g)
0.81mg (40% DV)0.23mg (11% DV)0.69mg (34% DV)
Other Poultry High in Vitamin B6 (%DV per 3oz, cooked): Ground Turkey, Fat-free (46%), Chicken Breast (28%), and Chicken Wing (26%).

pork-chop.jpg

#5: Lean Pork (Sirloin, Cooked)
Vitamin B6 in 100gPer roast (985g)Per 3oz (85g)
0.79mg (39% DV)7.73mg (387% DV)0.67mg (33% DV)
Other Cuts of Pork High in Vitamin B6 (%DV per 3oz, cooked): Ground Pork (36%), Pork Tenderloin (31%), and Pork Chops (30%).

#6: Dried Fruit (Prunes)
Vitamin B6 in 100gPer cup (132g)Per 1/2 cup (66g)
0.75mg (37% DV)0.98mg (49% DV)0.49mg (26% DV)
Other Dried Fruit High in Vitamin B6 (%DV per 1/2 cup): Dried Apricots (16%), and Raisins (14%).

roastbeef.JPG

#7: Lean Beef (Rib, Cooked)
Vitamin B6 in 100gPer pound (454g)Per 3oz (85g)
0.68mg (34% DV)3.10mg (155% DV)0.57mg (30% DV)
Other Cuts of Beef High in Vitamin B6 (%DV per 3oz, cooked): Sirloin Steak (29%), Filet Steak and Rib Eye (28%).

banana.jpg

#8: Bananas
Vitamin B6 in 100gPer cup, mashed (225g)Per banana (118g)
0.37mg (18% DV)0.83mg (41% DV)0.43mg (22% DV)
A medium banana provides 105 calories and only 0.39g fat.
avocado.JPG

#9: Avocadoes
Vitamin B6 in 100gPer cup, puréed (230g)Per fruit (136g)
0.29mg (14% DV)0.66mg (33% DV)0.39mg (20% DV)
Half an average avocado provides 114 calories and only 1.4g saturated fat.

#10: Spinach (Cooked)
Vitamin B6 in 100gPer cup (180g)Per 1/2 cup (90g)
0.24mg (12% DV)0.44mg (22% DV)0.22mg (11% DV)
A cup of cooked spinach contains just 41 calories and 0.47g fat.

(I deleted some of the photos to meet the 7 image limit.)

Latest posts

Back