My daughter is getting WLS

You know, I kind of had a different reaction to to this. I would have her talk to the Dr and really understand the consequences of not following the regiment here and have her talk to people. Take her to a post op group. Let her make the decision of what she wants. It's her life and her body.

You know, I kind of had a different reaction to to this. I would have her talk to the Dr and really understand the consequences of not following the regiment here and have her talk to people. Take her to a post op group. Let her make the decision of what she wants. It's her life and her body.

I agree with you. However, when she gets sick it will be me dealing with it. She knows first hand what could happen. In the last 3 years since my DS she has seen me on deaths door 3 times. Has talked to the doctors and been told to make my funeral arrangements. Had to put me on and off the toilet. Fed me. Seen the sores all over. saw me loose my mind due to low protein. Helped her brother carry me because i couldn't walk. I had all this happen and i take the vitamins. Every vitamin and mineral in my body was depleated and I follow the rules. She's watched me carry an iV of TPN on my back for 18 of 35 months At the end of the day @galaxygrrl i have no say so and she will do what she wants because legally she's grown. I have to consider my grandson. He's 2 if she successfully kills herself right now i am physically unable to take care of him. So if i can deterr the worse from happening then as a mother I'd be wrong not to try

Normally, I'd agree with you...but I asked the seat belt question because I was aware that Daughter has not yet established an Adult-Type track record in doing PITA things...even those that will save her life. I very recently watched yet another friend bury an adult "child" who had not yet gotten around to making excellent decisions. I've been going to funerals like that for 41 years when my BFF buried the first of her children to die as the result of bad choices.

Sure, she can decide what she wants, but Dr. Keshishian needs to know that she won't even use her damned seat belt, when it could easily be the thing that would allow her to live long enough to see Toot graduate from HS and get married and all that stuff. I'm pretty sure that Keshishian would encourage a two-step DS before he'd perform a surgery that, without compliance, will certainly lead to malnutrition and all the related medical, neurological, dental and psych bad news.

I'm busy enough "straightening out" CHarris' health care team...I just don't have time for her daughter's team, too! LOL

#~#~#~#~#~#

ETA: These were not "bad kids" robbing banks or taco trucks or anything...one of these deaths was the result the deceased swimming in a river at night, with friends on the shore too loaded to notice she had jumped in but had not come up. Another death occurred while trying to get a friend OFF drugs, the dead kid in question drove his suspended license friend to pick up some stuff at another druggie friend's house...he waited in the car...while someone walked up behind him, hit him on the head with a 2-by-4...and took his wallet...by morning he was dead. Might not have died, but he didn't like doctors and hospitals...his daughter's caregiver just "prayed over" him...and his 5-year-old daughter no longer had a daddy. Just...not taking into consideration that if you are the only sober person, maybe a solo night swim in a river you've never seen before is not a good idea...not going to a known druggie-infested neighborhood, at night, and waiting in a car, alone until someone who WAS thinking figured out that you might have money...and...one funeral I did not attend was for a 22-year-old not wearing a seat belt.

Also...some of the malabsorption involving a shortage of B vitamins can cause disordered thinking...so once a person chooses to be non-compliant, it becomes almost impossible to convince them to START taking supplements.

Signed,
Susie Sunshine

Last edited:
Normally, I'd agree with you...but I asked the seat belt question because I was aware that Daughter has not yet established an Adult-Type track record in doing PITA things...even those that will save her life. I very recently watched yet another friend bury an adult "child" who had not yet gotten around to making excellent decisions. I've been going to funerals like that for 41 years when my BFF buried the first of her children to die as the result of bad choices.

Sure, she can decide what she wants, but Dr. Keshishian needs to know that she won't even use her damned seat belt, when it could easily be the thing that would allow her to live long enough to see Toot graduate from HS and get married and all that stuff. I'm pretty sure that Keshishian would encourage a two-step DS before he'd perform a surgery that, without compliance, will certainly lead to malnutrition and all the related medical, neurological, dental and psych bad news.

I'm busy enough "straightening out" CHarris' health care team...I just don't have time for her daughter's team, too! LOL

#~#~#~#~#~#

ETA: These were not "bad kids" robbing banks or taco trucks or anything...one of these deaths was the result the deceased swimming in a river at night, with friends on the shore too loaded to notice she had jumped in but had not come up. Another death occurred while trying to get a friend OFF drugs, the dead kid in question drove his suspended license friend to pick up some stuff at another druggie friend's house...he waited in the car...while someone walked up behind him, hit him on the head with a 2-by-4...and took his wallet...by morning he was dead. Might not have died, but he didn't like doctors and hospitals...his daughter's caregiver just "prayed over" him...and his 5-year-old daughter no longer had a daddy. Just...not taking into consideration that if you are the only sober person, maybe a solo night swim in a river you've never seen before is not a good idea...not going to a known druggie-infested neighborhood, at night, and waiting in a car, alone until someone who WAS thinking figured out that you might have money...and...one funeral I did not attend was for a 22-year-old not wearing a seat belt.

Also...some of the malabsorption involving a shortage of B vitamins can cause disordered thinking...so once a person chooses to be non-compliant, it becomes almost impossible to convince them to START taking supplements.

Signed,
Susie Sunshine

Yea @galaxygrrl what @Spiky Bugger said! Spiky has her hands full trying to keep me alive she definitely does not have time to chase after my non compliant daughter! Lol

@Charris I feel for darling. Having 20 and 22 year old boys who are stubborn as flipping mules (they clearly get that from their mother and not me. :p ) it would be so nice to be able to wave a wand and have them do as I wish. Life would be so much better for all of us and they wouldn't be muttling through life at the moment. Both are smart but one's bad decisions with drugs, booze and the impact that has on finances has left him unable to get student loans now to finish school. He will have to figure out a,way to get by and through school. Collin just doesn't think he needs school because he doesn't know what he wants to do and of course making $13/hour and working 60 hours,a week is great....yeah great when splitting rent with three other dudes when you are 20. He also decided against joining the Navy. I am very frustrated with both and want them to have an easier path in life than I did, but they are choosing the wrong path right now. They have to figure it out on their own. I just hope sooner than later. I hope your daughter does as well.

I can relate. They do have to figure out their own path, but it is very rough for this generation. Graduating from college is no guarantee they'd be working. Mother of a 22-year old job hunter here. Wish she had learned a trade like electricity or carpentry, because having a 4-year degree from a great state school is not worth what I paid for it, apparently. The tens of thousands of dollars would have been better spent paying for an apprenticeship. The salaries are better, the job security is better, and you can be your own boss eventually. Her two unpaid internships and two temp jobs haven't led to a full time job. Now, I am supposed to pay for graduate school apparently, but I think I'd just be pouring money down the same drain. Of her 9 cousins, only 2 have full time jobs, one in a jail and one working for the state. The others piece together a living with part time jobs, and all but one has a college degree. The one that makes the most money is a masseuse, and he didn't need a degree for it. One owes for student loans and is working at a fast food restaurant. So, you are not alone among the anxious parents out there.

I don't think these kids really understand the stress they put on their parents.. plus unfortunately to be honest i don't believe they even care. Lol

I can relate. They do have to figure out their own path, but it is very rough for this generation. Graduating from college is no guarantee they'd be working. Mother of a 22-year old job hunter here. Wish she had learned a trade like electricity or carpentry, because having a 4-year degree from a great state school is not worth what I paid for it, apparently. The tens of thousands of dollars would have been better spent paying for an apprenticeship. The salaries are better, the job security is better, and you can be your own boss eventually. Her two unpaid internships and two temp jobs haven't led to a full time job. Now, I am supposed to pay for graduate school apparently, but I think I'd just be pouring money down the same drain. Of her 9 cousins, only 2 have full time jobs, one in a jail and one working for the state. The others piece together a living with part time jobs, and all but one has a college degree. The one that makes the most money is a masseuse, and he didn't need a degree for it. One owes for student loans and is working at a fast food restaurant. So, you are not alone among the anxious parents out there.

Kathryn and @Charris...my baby was fortunate to have parents who were able (because I decided, in my mid 40s, to finish college, take some post-grad classes and get a better job...and my ENTIRE paycheck, for four years went to "the college of your choice") to pay for most of college as she went and to pay off the student loans when she graduated. And she's a Gen Xer, not a Millenial...a good percentage of which group strikes me as clueless, but anyway...

She had wonderful, exciting jobs with decent pay and many opportunities, hanging with movie stars and the president and people like Jane Goodall and talented composers and musicians. We have photos of her with presidents and rock stars, riding an elephant, and with Crystal (the real name of Dexter, the Capuchin monkey from Night at the Museum.). Even the unexciting, low-paying jobs had perqs that allowed her multiple trips to Europe and to New Zealand.

HOWEVER, her parents kept reminding her that her jobs did not offer job security or defined benefit retirement plans, which we have and which helped keep her afloat during unemployment and all. We frequently reminded her that HER retirement plan consisted of, "First, Mom and Dad die..."

So at age 40, she bit the bullet, took a thousand dollar a month pay cut, and took a job that was extremely stressful, had rugged hours, was considerably beneath her intellectual ability and kept her in a"probationary" status for 18 long months...and, for the first time ever, she was just one of the Indians instead of the Chief. It will eventually pay more than she WAS making, even without any promotions. And there are many promotional paths. Meanwhile, she has MUCH BETTER benefits which will continue to save her money over time AND a retirement plan that will keep her from grocery shopping in the cat food aisle. (She stopped by this morning on her way to get fitted for a few pieces of the employer-provided uniform. So she doesn't even have to bounce for "work clothes.")

We feel like we can finally exhale.

But she is (now) 41 and is nowhere near as goofy as Millenials are.

So, find yourselves doctors who will write prescriptions for Ativan and/or Valium and/or X-anax...and have a seat. It might be a long ride.

Great for her. Lucky you. My son is 34 and has a good full time job with benefits. I keep thinking I must have raised her differently, more pampered with fewer expectations, but I am beginning to think it's just the current economy. She got an offer of another temp job today which she will take. At least she is building a resume. I like having her living with us, it beats the empty nest. But, like your daughter, she has to have security without us. I also like the idea of Antianxiety drugs or a well timed glass of wine for me. Maybe she will marry well. I'm looking on her behalf!

Latest posts

Back