My daughter is getting WLS

I am going to be honest. Won't she just be miserable with the sleeve and destined to fail? If she is too irresponsible to take vitamins what makes you think she will eat properly like you have to do with a sleeve only? I never considered bariatric surgery until I learned of the DS because I knew that I would not be able to do it and would fail. If I wold have been told the sleeve or nothing I would have said thank you but no thank you. That was just me and I was able to be honest with myself.

I
Funny you say tbat. Yes she is depressed and im not trttrying to be funny but she doesn't take her depression medication as prescribed

Could your doctor recommend a counselor, psychologist, or social worker who can help her choose to take care of herself? For me, being overweight was connected to depression, but I wasn't able to approach weight loss surgery until I changed my thinking about my weight. The most important think was not how I looked or all the trauma that led to overeating. It was about health and living longer for my children. If someone could work with her about choosing to be healthy, she could be ready for DS. I face this choice everyday when I take my meds.

Has she started using a seat belt yet?

Not in her car! She hates my new car because my seat belt buzzer will go off until the person puts the seat belt on. Thats very annoying to me so the car doesn't move till all seat belts are in place.

Not in her car! She hates my new car because my seat belt buzzer will go off until the person puts the seat belt on. Thats very annoying to me so the car doesn't move till all seat belts are in place.
When seat belts first came out as mandatory (not optional equipment) sometime in the mid 50's, my daddy started enforcing the rule that the car didn't start til all front passengers were buckled in. When they added back seat belts, then he said all seat belts. So I basically grew up with the "seat belts always on".

In my state (CA) seat belt use is the law for all passengers. I won't start my car until everyone is buckled in. Despite the law seat belt use is still not 100% and it seems like every time there's an accident where someone is thrown from the car, that person, usually someone young, was not wearing his or her seat belt. They tend not to survive.

We even have restraints for our dogs in the back seat. I never used them much until I was in the Air Force. The consequences of not using them were so unpleasant; thus the making of a habit and mind set that exists today. No belt? No go.

In my state (CA) seat belt use is the law for all passengers. I won't start my car until everyone is buckled in. Despite the law seat belt use is still not 100% and it seems like every time there's an accident where someone is thrown from the car, that person, usually someone young, was not wearing his or her seat belt. They tend not to survive.

Well i know AZ has a seatbelt law for the front passengers. But put all that asside. My car flipped 6 times on March 18. Everything including my glove box was thrown from the car Besides ME! Why? Because I had my seatbelt on. Yes , the Seat belt broke both sides of my ribs but I stayed in the car ALIVE. She saw 1st hand how jacked up I was i BROKE EVERYTHING EXCEPT my left leg, arm and knee. So she should want to keep her seatbelt on. Imagine had i not had a belt on!!! She says its too uncomfortable. I told her law is car dealerships have to give you and extender if you need one. I didn't know that when i was super obese. She still does not put Toot in his car seat as he should be. Plus if he takes it off she keeps driving. When we went to Cali no matter where we were on the road if he took it off i pulled over popped him on his fat part and made him put it on. Needless to say by the end of the trip he was tired of getting that butt tapped and put it on and kept it. For 2 weeks she didnt even have a seat in the car for him. There's no excuse for it I purchased my own so I didnt ever have to ride him without one. To be honest @Larra the child is just TRIFLING!

Last edited:
@Charris OMG. Toot sounds like my grandson when he was younger. They were visiting and I needed to go into the job place for something, so naturally I wanted to show off my grand-baby. I lost count of how many times we pulled over to put him back in his seat. He'd wriggle out of it. He wasn't much better about being restrained on the next visit when he was in his booster. He kept it on, but whined and whined.

@Charris, I'm sure your daughter is a good hearted person and that you love her dearly, but she just doesn't sound responsible enough to take on the DS. Maybe someday... but not yet. Stick to your guns, and let's hope she makes the most of a sleeve.

@Charris, I'm sure your daughter is a good hearted person and that you love her dearly, but she just doesn't sound responsible enough to take on the DS. Maybe someday... but not yet. Stick to your guns, and let's hope she makes the most of a sleeve.

My point exactly. She will be darn there dead within 6 months of getting a DS. She is so noncompliant with EVERYTHING. When she grows up she can get switched if need be. I did what i could by telling Dr. K the truth but at the end of day if her and Dr.K choose a different plan I cant stop it because she is grown, on paper anyways.

@Charris does she know she can be pulled over and cited for failure to restrain Toot? And anyone who sees her CAN report it:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0315/p1558.html
And here is the actual law: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/00907.htm

If she got cited enough, they could remove Toot from her care. called child endangerment.

Of course see knows about all of that. Toot was seen by officers rolled down the window and was waving to officers saying Hi. Police honked got her attention pointed to him and she pulled over and put him in his seat. She does not believe it will go far enough ever for her to get consequences. I tell her i hope she can forgive and live with herself when he gets hurt or killed. Then i trll her because i wont be able to forgive her.

Latest posts

Back