My daughter is getting WLS

Charris

Now an angel
She has been ssying she wants it. Well yesterday at my appointment she had her consult. If course Dr. K thought the DS. I Told him she is not responsible enough for a DS. She didnt take her prenatals and she has NEVER finished any prescribed medication. So i told him what about a sleeve. He thinks it might work for her but of course DS IS BETTER. HERES my thing i follow the regime of meds and look how sick i have been! I cant even image what will happen to her. Plus when she grows up if she needs part 2 its an option.

What are your thoughts on this?

I couldnt resist takibg and posting this picture. We are still in CA at mu uncle's house. When i tell you i get up and mzke it every day because if this little guy, its no lie. Oh and this little guu is crazy about his granny. He cries to go with me and will just be oit of nowhere i want my granny when they have been gone too long. I loving every second of it...

Attachments

• 20161001_073615.jpg
    20161001_073615.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 27
The sleeve is half way to the DS and if it fails, she can get the 2nd half done.

However, I see people with failed sleeves almost every day now. The bottom line is it's a diet with a smaller stomach and restrictive only procedures have a high failure rate. If she could find a way to just take the supplements the DS could fix her forever.

One of my biggest regrets is not having the DS a few decades sooner.

The sleeve is half way to the DS and if it fails, she can get the 2nd half done.

However, I see people with failed sleeves almost every day now. The bottom line is it's a diet with a smaller stomach and restrictive only procedures have a high failure rate. If she could find a way to just take the supplements the DS could fix her forever.

One of my biggest regrets is not having the DS a few decades sooner.

I know that the DS is best for anyone and the sleeve is just a lifetime diet wirh a kick start. I know that right now in her life she will be in trouble within the 1st year. She wouldn't take her prenatals. I brought chewables and everything. I got her some gummies and had to physically hand the viramins to her and watch her eat them. We all know gummies eill nit work solely for all the DS requirements I know she's grown but here's the thing i dont want my child dead. Toot has sever asthma and she does not give him his medications as directed. Ill be honest she's lazy and irresponsible. Im just keeping it real

real is important - I think the sleeve only is better for her. irresponsible and lazy with supplementing the DS is just not a good plan.

what's her health like over -all?

You know your daughter best so, I won't comment on her specifically.

For the general population, DS is almost always best. @Charris, you wrote "HERES my thing i follow the regime of meds and look how sick i have been! I cant even image what will happen to her." What everyone needs to know is that the least of your problems has been the DS. Well, if it was just the DS anyway. You are a special snowflake, you had a revision plus many complications and other stuff thrown on top like a rotten cherry.

Most people who have a regular old DS take some vitamins according to what their labs say, eat a diet high in protein and low in carbs and they sail through life happy.

Your grandson is cuter than can be!

I know that the DS is best for anyone and the sleeve is just a lifetime diet wirh a kick start. I know that right now in her life she will be in trouble within the 1st year. She wouldn't take her prenatals. I brought chewables and everything. I got her some gummies and had to physically hand the viramins to her and watch her eat them. We all know gummies eill nit work solely for all the DS requirements I know she's grown but here's the thing i dont want my child dead. Toot has sever asthma and she does not give him his medications as directed. Ill be honest she's lazy and irresponsible. Im just keeping it real
You know her best. Perhaps she'll be ready for the DS when she gets older. Perhaps not. But I think you make a reasoned argument.

Only you actually know her. Sure, DS may be more effective, but with what you describe, I'd take "sleeve and maybe still heavy" over "thin and sickly or dead" if she gets a DS. Glad she is going to Dr K. He's a wise man, and may guide her.

It's good that you're being real. You have the data on your daughter - if she didn't comply with prenatals when her kid was involved, why is she likely to comply with a stricter/more complex DS regime for herself? That's just the way some people are. And we have read plenty of stories of non-compliant DS people who get into real trouble.

I don't think it's worth the risk.

I'd go with the sleeve. If she miraculously changes her tune in the future, it'll cost another fee for the DS surgery, but that's nothing compared to her life.

Your grandkid's a keeper, btw...

I am a firm believer in the DS, but I also am convinced that it's not for everyone. There are some people in this world who just won't take vitamins. I don't understand it, but there it is. Maybe your daughter will mature enough at some future date to take the nutritional requirements of the DS to heart, maybe not, but for now, she isn't there, and at least with a sleeve she'll get the kick start (I love how you put it) and hopefully some degree of lasting benefit. If not, maybe that will help her grow up and take her health more seriously.
You've done all you can. She's an adult. It's up to her now.

Adorable. :) And you're right. DS is only for responsible adults who can keep up with supplementation. Mom knows best.

Could this be a sign of depression? Is counseling a possible direction? Being resistant to things that would benefit her health raises questions. I totally agree she isn't ready for DS and maybe isn't ready for VSG at the present time, since there are rules and vitamins with that. Glad you are there to be on her side and to advocate for her. Lucky you to have a grandchild!

Could this be a sign of depression? Is counseling a possible direction? Being resistant to things that would benefit her health raises questions. I totally agree she isn't ready for DS and maybe isn't ready for VSG at the present time, since there are rules and vitamins with that. Glad you are there to be on her side and to advocate for her. Lucky you to have a grandchild!

Funny you say tbat. Yes she is depressed and im not trttrying to be funny but she doesn't take her depression medication as prescribed

Latest posts

Back