More health concerns....lovely...

catecholamine

Resident Nerd
Didn't know where to put this, as off-topic seemed more light-hearted.
Well, as some of you know, I had some pre-op labs run recently. It showed a lot of things - one of which is blood in my urine.
I figured, big whoop, maybe an infection. I went to my PCP today. He said it's unlikely to be an infection as my white cell count is normal. They checked my urine today and found no blood in it. He said he's concerned and wants me retested for blood 2-3 times after surgery when I feel well enough to come into the office. He's worried about bladder cancer. The big C. I've had bladder issues I assumed everyone had for a while now - urgency, or feeling like you have to pee a ton and you get to the bathroom and it's like a thimble-full. I thought that was, well, not that abnormal. But it would seem it is not normal for a 25yr old.
I honestly wish he'd never mentioned cancer. It never occurred to me prior to him saying it. Now I'm gonna worry....
Also, surgeon called to say he wants me to see a hematologist.

:(

That HAS to be scary.

I went thru a cancer scare about 20 years ago...so I do understand. Thankfully it tested negative but it could just have easily been positive.

(((((((My little neurotransmitter)))))))

Scary for sure. You're going to be in a much better position to fight it if you need to in a few weeks.

Hoping it's nothing and very glad you did get it checked out and have the wheels in motion.

Here's to false positives and happy endings.

It's hard not to worry, but I'm glad to hear that you are establishing a relationship with a hematologist. Honestly, that's a great specialty to have on your team. I think that relationship will really help you get as healthy as possible. I'm also glad that someone is listening to you and wanting to get you healthy BEFORE surgery. Some doctors seem to want to blame obesity for everything instead of looking at all of the facts.

Oh ack! I'm so sorry you're having a scare. :( That really sucks on top of everything else, BUT hopefully that's all it is and it's God/fate/destiny making sure everything is as it needs to be before you have the surgery. Keeping you in my prayers and sending positive happy thoughts your way! :) Don't let your thoughts run away with you...you're just getting a little more in depth testing to make sure you're fine - the white blood cell count is encouraging!

Well...so far, my surgery is still on schedule for wednesday... but this is just more stuff to worry about. When I go back to see my PCP after the surgery, I'm getting a referral to a hematologist.

I'm healthy enough for surgery.... if I wait for everything to be perfect, I'll never have surgery. The urine test thing, he wants me to wait a few weeks and come back anyway. It can take a few weeks for the blood to come back if it's cancer...it comes and goes... I'm getting iron infusions for the iron deficiency.

Saw your other thread. I disagree that you are healthy enough for elective surgery and I think you are walking into some very hard, hard times. As someone who has fought her way through complications for the last 6 months, I have to speak up and say please don't do this yet. Please get your ferritin levels up first with infusions and get to the bottom of the blood in your urine.

I hope you will be ok. I really do. Saying this because I not only care but KNOW how bad things can get.

I will be FINE. They said they will have blood on hand if I need it and I'll be getting iron infusions in the hospital. My actual anemia is not even that bad - my hemoglobin is only a tiny bit low. I'm just very iron deficient and my iron stores are used up and it is just beginning to affect my hemoglobin, etc. I will be alright.
I will be following up with a hematologist.

Iron is a cofactor for the making of collagen involved in wound healing. your iron deficiency will impair your bodies ability to heal after this major surgery. That is why your albumin is low because iron is necessary for your body to make use of ingested protein. Take care of the iron deficiency before surgery, give your body a chance to get in the swing of making protein again...then schedule your surgery.
ETA* 2 to 3 weeks after the iron infusions should be sufficient.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back