Introduce yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome @DolphinTeam ! You and I are almost the exact same starting weight, I went to my initial consultation inquiring about the lapband, then was suggested the RNY by the first surgeon I saw, then the second surgeon recommended the DS. I thank god for him for suggesting something I had never even heard of, as well as for Larra for luring me away from OH and getting me aquatinted with tons of knowledgable vets who helped me make an informed decision. Don't get discouraged, I had many setbacks along my path to surgery, but in hindsight, they were only minor blips on the road to the best decision I ever made! Best of luck on your journey!

Hi all! My name is Kimberly and I am scheduled for my DS surgery on Sept 11, 2014.

I have researched WLS for 3 years before coming across the DS. For some reason, it did not come up in any of my computer searches over the last 2 1/2 years until January 2014 when I did another search after my annual Cardiologist visit. As soon as I read about it, I knew it was for me. I almost had the RNY, but it never felt right. Glad I waited.

I have a severely weak heart (cardiomyopathy) that started in 12/06. I have had congestive heart failure w/ pulmonary adema twice. In the past 8 years my weight has climbed from around 200# to 335# now. In the past 4 years of being 335#, I have not been able to successfully loose any weight and keep it off. But I have not gone above 340# either. I have noticed this past summer my health has gone down hill from last summer. I mow lawns for the neighbors (riding mower) and I love to grow fresh vegetables in my gardens (many small plots instead on one big one). I become exhausted much faster and takes longer to recuperate my energy afterwards. I am not used to this kind of restriction as I grew up on a farm and most of my jobs I've held in life have been very physically demanding. The last 20 years of working I was a chef.

I was 5"9" tall in my early 20's and now I am 5' 7 1/2" tall (I am 49 now). I don't like the shrinking. Maybe once I get rid of some of this weight, I will spring back up some. :D If I don't get a WLS of some type, my heart is going to give out on me. It is not even strong enough to be carrying around one body, much less what two people could weigh. The DS fits perfectly in my life because it offers the most malabosrbtion (sp) but gives me a stomach that I could eat a semi- normal meal.

I look forward to learning from those who have had the surgery already, and being able to contribute back to someone who is where I am now. I also looking forward to being lighter and healthier, and getting into some of the clothes in my closet that got too small for me to wear. :)

:welcometotheforum:@KimberlyB and @James Hampton! There is a ton of knowledge to be had here. Read, read and then read some more. If you can't find what you are looking for in past posts the vets here know so very much.

I'll start....I am Elizabeth, aka southernlady or southernlady5464 depending on where else you may know me.

My husband and I both had weight loss surgery (the Duodenal Switch) about 3 years ago. He had his 3 year surgiversary in Dec, mine is the end of this month.

We live in Western North Carolina near family. But we are emtpy nesters...okay except for all the furchildren (6 cats and 2 dogs). I'm 59 years old.

I was on 11 medications pre-op including an insulin pump as I WAS an insulin pump dependent type 2 diabetic. Now, I maintain a 100% EWL, am on only 2 prescription medications (both unrelated to needing surgery). The insulin pump is long history.

I chose the DS for two reasons, I needed to be able to take NSAIDS as I have severe arthritis in my back. And I wanted the BEST shot at resolving my diabetes.

Come introduce yourself!
hello just wanted to introduce myself hi my name is Linda Atkisson and my husband is the one whom will be taking the Bariatric Sleeve and i am scared i my be the one the get him off the meal plan because i am a country girl and live strictly on beans and bread
picture210.jpg

:rainbowwelcome: @linda1mom9x21 and glad you joined. I enjoyed talking with you this morning and I hope it helped. It might help to know that around here the Bariatric Sleeve is usually abbreviated as the VSG (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy) or just the sleeve.

We have a few long term sleevers here one of our moderators is one, Tagging @JackieOnLine

wow, lots of new people posting - good deal

hello James Hampton, Georgia, and Linda

:welcomebanner:

Hi. I am a Lap band patient wanting to have a DS revision. Living in Melbourne, Australia so wanting some info in particular about Professor Nottle. Very scared about procedure, havent even got a surgery date as yet. Im thinking the more info I have the better off I will be (hopefully).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back