I'm Starving!

Parousia

Okay, I need to know: how did you get through the pre-op Optifast diet? I failed on my first day, because I was just too hungry! Now I remember why I gave up on liquid only diets. Ugh! :cry2:

Thankfully I didn't have to...I was only given a 12 hour pre-op NPO. (Nothing by mouth in doc speak). But then my BMI was SO close to the lower cutoff my surgeon did not want me to lose an ounce. I still lost 3 lbs in the last week eating everything I could.

Now, my surgeon and his partner typically require a 2 week diet (not opti-fast) for those under a 50 BMI and a 4 week for those over a 50 BMI.

Hang in there, and don't beat yourself up. Does it HAVE to be opti-fast or will any protein shakes work?

I didn't have to do that bullshit. Dr. Peters asked me to use whatever method I could live with to lose SOMETHING. I did a very structured diet for about six weeks: measured breakfast, meal replacement lunch and "diet entrée" with veggies dinner, and equally structured snacks so that I ate 5-6 times daily, but real food. I lost about 15 pounds and he was thrilled.

I think these liquid diets are bullshit. If I were in your shoes, I would make a sincere effort to comply, but I would have at least one SENSIBLE solid meal per day. I'm confident you know how to diet well enough to know how to choose a sensible option.

more water? more shakes?

I would guess if you can do it for 3 days, it will get a lot easier.

good luck! and you can do ANYTHING for just the little bit of time in front of you. just for today....

@southernlady He said Optifast, but I can't imagine it matters if it's that or another meal replacement/protein drink. The thing is, I just don't find the liquid filling at all. I fill up very quickly on solid food, though.

@Elizabeth N. After a lifetime of dieting, I have a fair idea of what would be good to eat :). I think I may follow your advice, at least for the first week. Hopefully, by the second week I will have adjusted to having replaced 2 meals a day with Optifast, so that including a 3rd meal replacement will be easier. I am recording everything I'm eating/drinking.

more water? more shakes?

I would guess if you can do it for 3 days, it will get a lot easier.

good luck! and you can do ANYTHING for just the little bit of time in front of you. just for today....
I know getting through the first 3 days would help. The problem is getting there! lol I did double my last Optifast drink, and that helped, but it's so pricey here, I can't afford to keep doing it. I will increase my water intake. I need to do that anyway.

Okay, I need to know: how did you get through the pre-op Optifast diet? I failed on my first day, because I was just too hungry! Now I remember why I gave up on liquid only diets. Ugh! :cry2:

I made it through day 1, 2, and 3 and "cheated" today. I'm lucky because I wasn't put on pre op plan and no one is expecting weight loss or liver shrinkage from me...but I still feel terrible. I am PMSing, which makes hunger worse..well mine aways lol. Sleeve? WHAT SLEEVE? GIVE ME FOOODZZZZ.

It wasn't a huge fail, but Im still feeling disappointed in myself. As long as we have more success that slip ups, all should be well. Good luck DS twin!

I know myself wayyyyyyyyy to well. If I didn't do this, I would put on weight. At least this way with a cheat here and a cheat there I should still hit my goal of being under 200kg on DS day :)

I didn't have to do that bullshit. Dr. Peters asked me to use whatever method I could live with to lose SOMETHING. I did a very structured diet for about six weeks: measured breakfast, meal replacement lunch and "diet entrée" with veggies dinner, and equally structured snacks so that I ate 5-6 times daily, but real food. I lost about 15 pounds and he was thrilled.

I think these liquid diets are bullshit. If I were in your shoes, I would make a sincere effort to comply, but I would have at least one SENSIBLE solid meal per day. I'm confident you know how to diet well enough to know how to choose a sensible option.

I absolutely agree with EN on this one. Replace one liquid meal with a sensible real food meal (lean meat, veggies, complex carbs).

I, fortunately, never had to do any diet before my surgery and I had a pretty high BMI.

Good luck!

Have you tried some bulking agents - psyllium fiber, chia, or pectin for example. It helped me feel full when I did liquid diets. Be warned that the fiber can change your bathroom habits.

Ya know...they are trying to shrink liver fat pre-op...if you are starving, there are plenty of low-fat, non-fat foods that will accomplish the same thing without the torture.

Latest posts

Back