I really need your help

What she said. And, if you aren't ready for this, don't do it.

If you aren't ready for the DS for the reasons you stated, you ARE NOT ready for the RnY, either.

Not just because of dumping, but because of other complications:

-Google "bariatric beriberi."
-Or you can read about polyneuropathy:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...f_Polyneuropathy_After_Gastric_Bypass_Surgery

Deal is...these and other complications of RnY exist because vitamins and supplements (and the blood tests required to see what the patients' status is) were needed after the RnY but most patients are not warned about these things.

Adam! These are VERY serious surgeries. Either of them can kill you if you ignore your post-op responsibilities. And, your being super morbidly obese means that your obesity will eventually kill you.

Just be sure you are listening to people who REALLY know about post-surgery life...and Registered Dieticians are probably the LEAST able to understand the DS. They just can't factor in the DS malabsorption. For example, they CONSISTENTLY tell DS patients to go low-fat, even though we malabsorb about 80% of the fat we eat. (The RnY has just enough malabsorption to cause those negative side effects mentioned above, but--long-term--not enough to assist with weight loss over time.)

i dont want to hear to all people anymore.. that's why i am here to hear from u who know much better abt this surgery n i really appreciate ur answers, they help me a lot.
i was freaking out today when i read a post here abt bowel obstruction complication after DS.. is it common to happen or no?

The DS is the only surgery that works almost all the time for almost all the people. The question should be why are all those other people getting something else?

10 people I worked with got WLS in roughly the same time period. 8 RNY, 1 band, and 1 DS(me). Fast forward almost 20 freaking years now and 1 RNY and 1 DS(me) are still quasi normal. All the others are bigger than preop.

Thank u for ur reply
it is true, n this is what all studies say but again when i asked my doc abt DS surgery, he said that all of them give significant result n can keep the weight off for long time..

While the DS is serious business, it has the best long term outcome. The DS has been around since 1988 and works for anyone who fits the criteria to even have WLS.

I was told by my first surgeon that a 35.2 diabetic didn't need the DS cause I wasn't fat enough. I fired him. Found a surgeon who would perform the DS on a lightweight. But just because I was a lightweight, didn't mean I didn't need or WANT the big gun. I wanted to be as normal as possible. I am.

ty for ur reply
Glad to hear that

I know this is a HUGE decision, but I think you are over thinking this. People's post DS surgery vitamin needs vary. I only take 4 a day. Others take more. It's kind of a spin of the wheel as far as I can tell. Perhaps others know more than me on this.

The fact that you are thinking about this for the rest of your life and if you can afford the vitamans when you are older makes me think you are ready for this sugery.

I spent way more on co-morbidity prescriptions before surgery than I do on vitamins now. Stats say if you don't take the weight off, you will get co-morbidities. Sorry, but that is what the data says.

Remember too, there is Medicare and Medicare part D when you get old.

I know this is a big decision and everyone needs to come to their own decision in their own time, but the data is very clear that the only long term effective surgery is the DS.

The vitamans really are not a big deal. Swear. ;-)

Yea i am really ready for this surgery but it is a big decision and i am very worried to regret it one day
ty for ur reply n for ur support, this is the most what i need in this period

So, the other thing is that you are suppose to be scared and freaked out. It's normal. I cried the night before my sugery with my best friend saying I don't want to do this and she said, you don't have to. And I said, I don't know what else to do about this and I'm going to die if i don't do something.

Best decision I ever made. ;-)

So, the other thing is that you are suppose to be scared and freaked out. It's normal. I cried the night before my sugery with my best friend saying I don't want to do this and she said, you don't have to. And I said, I don't know what else to do about this and I'm going to die if i don't do something.

Best decision I ever made. ;-)

i m really very glad that u did it n u r happy with ur decision, i hope i will be the same n never regret it

i m really very glad that u did it n u r happy with ur decision, i hope i will be the same n never regret it

Everyone I know who did it says there only regret is they did not do it sooner. You will be fine. It's scary as hell, but you will have a whole new life and you wont have this weight monkey on your back.

Don't worry about the vitamin thing. Here is the thing, you need to keep up with your tests and vitamins but it's a small price to pay to be skinny.

i dont want to hear to all people anymore.. that's why i am here to hear from u who know much better abt this surgery n i really appreciate ur answers, they help me a lot.
i was freaking out today when i read a post here abt bowel obstruction complication after DS.. is it common to happen or no?
My oldest stepdaughter had a bowel obstruction a couple of years ago. She’s never had any weight loss surgery.

As someone else mentioned, you typically hear from the handful that has issues, not the hundreds to thousands just living their life.

Keep in mind that the further you are out from surgery with RNY the more vit/min supplements you need. My vit/min list was not that different from the DS. You have the same risk of malnutrition, anemia, vit/min deficiencies, plus ulcers and dumping syndrome. Most surgeons do not tell you (because they do not have a clue) about what type of supplementation is needed with either procedure. Many of us learned the hard way.

Tip: Never count your vit/mins. Take what you need based on lab, not on the number of pills you count. Yes, the protein and supplements can be expensive but morbid obesity is also expensive and takes a huge toll on us physically and psychologically.

Keep in mind that the further you are out from surgery with RNY the more vit/min supplements you need. My vit/min list was not that different from the DS. You have the same risk of malnutrition, anemia, vit/min deficiencies, plus ulcers and dumping syndrome. Most surgeons do not tell you (because they do not have a clue) about what type of supplementation is needed with either procedure. Many of us learned the hard way.

Tip: Never count your vit/mins. Take what you need based on lab, not on the number of pills you count. Yes, the protein and supplements can be expensive but morbid obesity is also expensive and takes a huge toll on us physically and psychologically.

Thank u very much for the info
i can see from ur profile that first u did RNY n then u did a revision to DS so u r definitely the best person to tell abt the 2 experience and what is the best from ur view. Do u regret ur decision? what should i consider while taking the decision btw these two surgeries?
ty

Adam,

If you don't mind me asking, if you have decided to get surgery, why are you so apprehensive about the DS over the RNY? I would have stayed fat over getting the RNY, I did not want to dump and I wanted to be able to eat. I have a great diet. Watch the carbs and eat all the fat I want.

I would get the Sleeve over the RNY. And if vitamins are your concern, I think the sleeve would be a better choice.

Thank u very much for the info
i can see from ur profile that first u did RNY n then u did a revision to DS so u r definitely the best person to tell abt the 2 experience and what is the best from ur view. Do u regret ur decision? what should i consider while taking the decision btw these two surgeries?
ty

I wish I had the DS the first time. My insurance would not pay for it (it was experimental at that time) so I went with the RNY. I lost some weight (around 273 to 165) but quickly regained all of it. It was difficult to eat meat or dense protein because of the little pouch and I would throw up. It was so painful that I *wanted* to throw up. In fact, I learned to throw up into a bag while driving. I learned to eat "slider foods" (carbs usually - they slide down the pouch with a beverage) and then gained weight. It really sucked to have RNY, vit/min deficiencies, iron infusions, an ulcer, puke from protein, and still be fat. I felt like a loser until I realized that an extremely high number of RNY patients go through the same thing. I would not recommend the RNY to anyone.

The DS is pretty serious. It does take a lot of careful thought and research. I never directly recommend the DS to anyone because it takes a high level of understanding and commitment to the lifestyle. I never know if someone is capable complying with the lifestyle from internet postings. People who do not comply with protein and vit/min supplements get very ill and can even die. It is no joke.

The downside of the DS is eating a high protein low carb diet and taking the supplements. Some people tolerate carbs (starches, sugars) better than others, but it will slow your weight loss and make you regain. The carbs can also result in bloating, gas, and nasty poops. It is really a matter of getting into the habit of eating high protein, low carb, and doing a little planning. Another downside is that doctors are not informed about the procedure and the lifestyle requirements. They won't be a lot of help when it comes to your bloodwork and vit/min levels. You must advocate for yourself.

The upside to DS. It is great to not have the burden of the extra weight. It is psychologically and physically freeing! It is great not to have to think about activities based on weight (will I fit? Can I walk that far? What would I wear? Will everyone notice that I gained weight?) and instead focus on having a good time and doing what I want without regard to weight or size. The upside - when it comes to supplements and food choices, you can "talk" to the vets here as they have the best advice because they have been living with the surgery for many, many years. You can post your labs and ask for feedback and they will help. Of course, do not seek "medical advice" here, but you can learn from their experiences.

For me, the downside of the DS (diet, supplements, bathroom habits) is worth the overall benefits.

Latest posts

Back