I have Covid

I suspect that “breakthrough” infections with Delta are far more common than is currently known, because most people don’t have much in the way of symptoms, if any, and aren’t being tested.

That’s both good news and bad news. It’s good, because vaccinated people aren’t getting very sick. It’s bad because the Delta variant is REALLY good at infecting the nasopharynx, where there isn’t very good immune surveillance, and can rapidly multiply and make the possibly asymptomatic person a veritable Covoid Mary, spewing 1000 times as many virus particles when they breathe, speak, cough, and sneeze. I don’t know whether the infection is snuffed out more quickly in vaccinated people, or it just doesn’t spread to the lungs or other organs as easily.

But “breakthrough” is really a misnomer - immunologists know that vaccines don’t PREVENT infections, they prevent people from getting SICK (or AS sick) from the infection, because you will have a premade set of defenses (antibodies) ready to fight the infection off. But while you’re infected, you are still contagious, especially with a respiratory infection, because you’re spewing out virus even as your body is fighting it off.

And both vaccinated and unvaccinated people are spewing about 1000X the virus particles with Delta compared to Alpha, the original virus. So infected asymptomatic vaccinated people are just as dangerous as a coughing unvaccinated person.

WEAR YOUR MASKS AT ALL TIMES IN PUBLIC! ESPECIALLY INDOORS, but look at what is coming out of Manchin’s little shindig, which was supposedly outside. Covoid Lindsey.

I don’t know whether the infection is snuffed out more quickly in vaccinated people, or it just doesn’t spread to the lungs or other organs as easily.
everyone I know is texting me to hear the good news that I'm better, and floored that I'm not. day 6 and no sign of better. maybe today there will be no new symptoms?

the last two evenings I have gotten a stabbing headache where all I could do is lie still and clutch an ice pack to my head. I'm already dreading tonight.

I'm going to call the doctor's office in the morning to see if they can recomend anything but if there is an Rx, not sure how to get it. will they let my landlady pick it up? no idea.

I had to get out of bed about 3 AM because the sheets are soaked with sweat. disgusting and clammy. I've ordered a second set of sheets but they don't get delivered until saturday. I should go through the boxes* and find my twin sized sheets, I could use the flat ones, anyway. the whole mechanics of how to deal with being sick is something I am totally not used to. it's been DECADES since I had a fever for more than a day or two at the most.

*I never finished unpacking from my move and then I had a houseguest. now that I'm home, I'm thinking I can finish....as soon as I feel better.

plus it's cold when the sheets are wet. YUCK.
well, I will get out the full sized ones and use those - just need a layer to soak up the sweat. probably more important to find more liquids I can tolerate and start taking people up on their offers to help. I ate watermelon before and I will ask for that.

I wish I had some idea how long this fever is going to last. it's gone this morning - yay - but expect it will be back. my ears feel less plugged up, though. that's good.

I wish I had some idea how long this fever is going to last. it's gone this morning - yay - but expect it will be back.
My daughter and son-in-law had Covid last fall (pre vaccine). His lasted 5 days. Then it broke and he had to be fever free for 48 hours before he was considered cured.

Could your ask your primary care or an urgent care doctor to provide a referral for a monoclonal antibody infusion?

Could your ask your primary care or an urgent care doctor to provide a referral for a monoclonal antibody infusion?
I could ask, even if I doubt they would do it for me. is it to get better faster?

I talked to them on the phone yesterday ( a "nurse" is all I know) and she basically listened to my symptoms and what I was taking and said try adding flonase since it's an OTC sterioid and the stabbing pain I'm having (the last three evenings now) is inflammation, not congestion.

last night's headache was just as bad as the two nights before, and even lasted longer, BUT I am cautiously optimistmic because the fever hasn't been back. also, no coughing.

progress!

ETA: still no sense of smell

I could ask, even if I doubt they would do it for me. is it to get better faster?

I talked to them on the phone yesterday ( a "nurse" is all I know) and she basically listened to my symptoms and what I was taking and said try adding flonase since it's an OTC sterioid and the stabbing pain I'm having (the last three evenings now) is inflammation, not congestion.

last night's headache was just as bad as the two nights before, and even lasted longer, BUT I am cautiously optimistmic because the fever hasn't been back. also, no coughing.

progress!

Sorry for the headaches and pain. Glad there's progress and hope you fully recover soon!

The monoclonal antibody infusions are intended to limit progression to severe COVID-19 and avoid the need for hospitalization.

per https://www.fda.gov/emergency-prepa...-covid-19/covid-19-frequently-asked-questions

Q: What is a monoclonal antibody?
A: Monoclonal antibodies are laboratory-produced molecules that act as substitute antibodies that can restore, enhance or mimic the immune system's attack on cells. Monoclonal antibodies for COVID-19 may block the virus that causes COVID-19 from attaching to human cells, making it more difficult for the virus to reproduce and cause harm. Monoclonal antibodies may also neutralize a virus. "

Q: Where are infusions of monoclonal antibody treatments available?
A: The following websites contain information regarding access to monoclonal antibody treatments for COVID-19:

Monoclonal antibody treatments for COVID-19 may only be administered in settings in which health care providers have immediate access to medications to treat a severe infusion reaction, such as anaphylaxis, and have the ability to activate the emergency medical system (EMS), if necessary. Please speak with your doctor or contact your local or state public health department for more information.

my ears are clogging up at midday so likely I am going to have the headache again tonight: I got some Flonase and it's a once a day thing. wonder what time I should take it. the serious pain has been starting around 5 pm....

anyone have any experience with this? expect "nasal burning" :frown:

I really wouldn't want to take it if the pain hasn't been so bad.

Latest posts

Back