I have been vomiting for three days now......

cboone

Hi,

I need some more advice. I am 5 weeks post op yesterday. I got dehydrated three weeks ago and spent the night in ER on IV fluids and it took a couple of days to bounce back. I was doing water and protein shakes only. I tried to start vitamins twice now and I am back off them again. Dr. K. orders. I started with just calcium and magnesium two weeks ago and no problems. I added the multi-vitamin three days later and again no issues. On Monday of this week I did morning magnesium and calcium, multivitamin, vitamin D, and 30gms protein shake all in the feeding tube of course. Then mid morning I did the calcium and magnesium repeat. In the late afternoon which says to add vitamin A(but its on back order) I did another 30gms protein shake and Heme Iron. I got very sick and started vomiting stomach bile for the most part. I got was already sick and weak from and on the airline flight the day before. Dr. K. says that flights can dehydrate me and to come back off food and do lots of water and some protein in the feeding tube. I got diarrhea and continued to vomit for two days. The diarrhea stopped, I feel better and had an appetite yesterday. So I tried a bite of a chicken leg and vomited it up. So Dr. K said perhaps a day or so to let me stomach rest and heal. So far this morning I have in front of me one soft scrambled egg and a piece of bacon, I am biting around on them but I am full so I am I put in the protein shake through the feeding tube. The egg and bacon are staying down, I feel normal but I am not taking any vitamins. Not sure when, what etc. I loss 30lbs in three weeks and I am now at five weeks and still at the 30lb weight loss. I am not complaining about that just sharing I hit the three week stall that I read about. I will take any advice I can get on moving forward successfully. Oh Dr. K. just sent an email and said liquid only but too late for this morning.

Last edited:
Follow Dr. K's advice...and give yourself time. You can still do just liquids the rest of the day and for the next day or so. LET your stomach heal.

And chicken, even dark meat is too much for some people that early out. Maybe try some tuna in mayo or a bit of egg salad with lots of mayo as your trip back into food.

Did you see where I posted my post operative notes from 2012 Mexicali and what Dr. K. found during the DS? I would love to get some feedback on it from anyone but the more senior members on this site for sure?

Did you see where I posted my post operative notes from 2012 Mexicali and what Dr. K. found during the DS? I would love to get some feedback on it from anyone but the more senior members on this site for sure?
Yes, I did but I am not qualified to read them and comment. You might want to tag a few people in that thread if you want input from them

How do you get dehydrated with a feeding tube? You can get plenty of nutrition right now with the protien shakes. I still have at least 2 a day cuz eating is still really hard even at 4 months.

Slowwwwwwww dowwwwwwwn and quit trying to rush things! Let yourself HEAL. Don't worry about vitamins just yet. It's only been a couple weeks ferpetesake.

I learned to back way off after something bothered my DS. I was like you, forever pushing forward and it really didn't help me in the long run. I didn't have a feeding tube but if I had so much as a uncomfortable case of bloat/gas, I would stay on beef broth and sugar free Jell-O / popsicles for perhaps a whole day. Cream soups were good. Eggs were hard for me, I couldn't have handled one at 5 weeks. I learned I had to increase my calcium 500 mg a week -- any faster and I had to stop everything to let the constipation clear and then start again.

It took me over 4 months to have the perfect day of protein, water and vitamins with no constipation or sickness. My three month and six month labs were fine. Unless you started this in very bad shape, you have some time to build back up. Listen to your body.

Popsicle, popsicle, popsicle. I never, in my whole life, thought I would want a sugar free popsicle. The dietician talked about them like they were the holy grail at my pre-op meeting, and I thought she was nuts. My first tray of food in the hospital was a popsicle, some broth, cranberry juice, and tea. I can't believe how much better the popsicle makes you feel. Maybe the cold helps reduce the swelling. Maybe it's because you have to consume it slow so you don't get brain freeze. But, now whenever I have a bout of pukiness, as soon as I can get my gag reflex under control, I eat a damn popsicle, and it always helps. I still can't get to my 80 grams of protein. That's just way too much food still, but I have become religious about the popsicles.

I have yet to see sugar free popsicles in grocery stores here. I hate that I might not have that option post-surgery. :( I'll make hubby go look really well, though, just to make sure.

Glad they're helping you! Not being able to keep stuff down is rough.

Latest posts

Back