I Had me a Rib-eye, I, I Had me a Rib-eye, I Had me a Rib-eye!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you Rob. I remember when eating many thi gs was hard up until around 6 months post op. Now I really can eat pretty much anything I desire and in significant volume.

That being said, I am certainly not the norm so I doubt many will be able to eat the volume I can eat (can eat a half bbq chicken, fries, corn bread muffin and some bbq beans with no problem)

I am not sure I have ever had ribeye - just not something I learned how to cook, nor developed a taste for. I love filet mignon in the steak food group, and price-wise, they are about the same. How about posting some DETAILED recipes so I can consider trying to make one? Include how you pick the meat from the store too, please - sometimes, that's half the trick of making something yummy.

I am not sure I have ever had ribeye - just not something I learned how to cook, nor developed a taste for. I love filet mignon in the steak food group, and price-wise, they are about the same. How about posting some DETAILED recipes so I can consider trying to make one? Include how you pick the meat from the store too, please - sometimes, that's half the trick of making something yummy.
Either you grill it to your taste or a Reverse Sear method:
I've done the Reverse Sear, it's an awesome steak, esp if you are in the middle of winter and grilling outside is hampered by snow.
I like mine Medium rare and so does DH. It doesn't need a recipe at all but an herbed butter on top like they do on steaks in Europe is a good topping.

As for picking rib eye...just pick a well marbled cut. If you can pick a filet, you can pick a rib eye.

I would LOOOVE to cook a nice juicy Rib-Eye for you and Charles! Wish I could! A Rib-Eye has the highest fat content. If you get a nice USDA prime grade cut, it has "marbling" in between all the muscle fibers and that keeps it really juicy and tender when cooking. I get the grill SUPER HOT and then I take about a 2" X 10" inch area of the coals towards the back and put some Pecan and Oak or Pecan and Hickory. I have two Pecan trees in my yard, and Oaks, so I use mostly that. Once the wood starts smoking, I close the lid. let it get even hotter AND smoky and then I put the Rib-Eyes on. The key to cooking ANY steak or any meat is temperature control. When I put the Rib-Eye on, I ONLY FLIP IT OVER ONE TIME, that is one of the secrets. From experience, I know exactly how long and what will give me the rare center and that varies according to thickness. BUT, the most foolproof way, especially with someone with less experience, is to use a thermometer. ALL my friends and I have a "Thermapen"...(link below)....It is cool as it can be and is foolproof for cooking ANY meat to PERFECTION! Its NOT cheap, but, its well worth it! Use those tips along with the Meat cooking temperature chart below and you cant fail!! Its like anything else, its ALL in the prep work with the grill. You should also pull the meat out of the fridge a few hours before grilling to let it get room temperature. This allows for even temp distribution and no cold/hot spots. All I do with the meat is to salt/pepper it about an hour before it goes on the grill. And, BTW...I love filet Mignon also, but love Rib-Eye's most, plus its better for us since its loaded with fat, about 38%, the highest of any steak.

http://www.amazon.com/ThermoWorks-Super-Fast-Professional-Thermocouple-Thermometer/dp/B003P601S2

For the best results, cook steaks using an accurate Meat Thermometer instead of a timetable. Steaks should be allowed to rest up to 10 minutes before serving. This resting period allows the juiced to distribute in the meat. Keep in mind that your meat will continue to cook while it is resting, so adjust grilling times accordingly (temperature of meat can raise up to 10 degrees).

Rare:
120° to 125°F
(Center is bright red, pinkish toward the exterior portion).

Medium Rare
130° to 135°F
(Center is very pink, slightly brown toward the exterior portion).

Medium
140° to 145°F
(Center is light pink, outer portion is brown).

Medium Well
150° to 155°F
(No pinkness)

Well Done
160°F and above
(steak is uniformly brown throughout).

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was so inspired by your post that I ate some leftover ribeye for a snack last night. Delicious!

I made sure to cook enough to have leftovers for ALL week!!! I then pre-cut and packaged them in to 2 oz baggies and can just lightly warm them up and eat ALL week long. BTW, just as more info for anyone...Beef doesn't microwave very well and also works best to let it get to room temperature first and then microwave in short bursts like 10 secs or so to gently warm it up.

Thanks - I think I will try a ribeye - Costco has them all the time, and I like the quality of most of their meat.

"if you are in the middle of winter and grilling outside is hampered by snow." LOLOLOL.

On the other hand, inviting anyone who would like to visit to cook one FOR me sounds even better - maybe we can plan another DS party for the summer ...

On the other hand, inviting anyone who would like to visit to cook one FOR me sounds even better - maybe we can plan another DS party for the summer ...

I have SIX weeks of vacation time that I HAVE to use this year and one of the things on the TOP of my "Bucket List" is to see the California Redwoods, so it would NOT take much to convince me!!!

Just get your plans in place quickly, so we can work around whatever RV trip(s) we are planning for the summer ... which redwoods are you planning to visit? We have quite a few ...

Oh, and if you want to come NOW, that's OK too - it's quite lovely here in the SF Bay Area now. And I'm not very busy at work.

Just get your plans in place quickly, so we can work around whatever RV trip(s) we are planning for the summer ... which redwoods are you planning to visit? We have quite a few ...

I think the ones around Yosemite? Isn't that whole area like the place to go for redwoods? We would probably be looking at mid July to mid August time frame hopefully. With me just getting getting back to work, I couldn't see getting out much earlier. But, who knows, it may even be june when school gets out. Need to look in to it :D

Latest posts

Back