I can't take it anymore.....

Dave0168

…the SMELL!

Someone once said "everyone likes their own brand", well this smell belongs to someone else!

It paints the walls and soaks into the carpet.

I can't "leave" it in another room; there is a chain on it I must drag around.

An entire pack of lit matches doesn't' even dent the foul odor.

Spraying air freshener only creates a shit cocktail that makes me imagine I've killed those "lilacs" or soiled the "clean linen".

With every bowel movement or passing of gas I'm left with the following image:
2332598109_c5db451dd9_b.jpg

Aside from completing this necessary business inside of a negative pressure chamber equipped with atmospheric scrubbers there HAS to be some sort of product out there that will bring some relief to my rapidly eroding olfactory senses and the potential of being forever alone once I've driven my family away.

How far out are you? Are you taking a probiotic (preferably with very high content of a lot of different types of bacteria including Saccharomyces boulardii)?

The first few weeks are the worst - especially because YOUR sense of smell is particularly sensitive (not to diminish your family's pain). It calms down. Also, in the immediate post-op period, you are probably eating carbs that make it worse - once you can manage the proper low carb diet, it will also help.

Dave, I feel your pain. The first month was horrid. After the first month and I was able to eat regular FOOD, esp protein, things did improve.
If they don't improve in the next few weeks, take a good HARD look at what you are ingesting. Could be any number of things, esp the chemical shit storm of processed foods. Or dairy or hell, even onions as one DS'er I know found out. Processed foods are the very devil to me cause I didn't make it myself so I don't know how the chemicals/additives are gonna make my gut react, except by experiment. It's also why I do a LOT of cooking from scratch if I can.

Diana's so right. You're a few weeks out.

When I'm alone:
  • I barely notice it most of the time;
  • When it's hot, I do notice it more in the bathroom;
  • But with the gas; it has to be really bad for me to be bothered by it.

Hi Dave, the good news is, it does get better, somewhat. If you go back and look at my mid-late Feb posts right after surgery, I wrote pretty much the same thing. I was even leaving “Oil Slicks” in the toilet and had to scrub after each use. Fortunately, that all stopped about a month out. I even put a high velocity high volume CFM air blower in my bathroom to move mass volumes of air quicker.

Now, I’ve learned to live with it and actually use this to my advantage sometimes as my own personal stealth “Weapon of Ass Destruction”…:laugh:...example:….There is this major BUTT WIPE at work that is a horrible person to everyone and tries to make himself look good by making everyone else look bad, you know the type…Well….EVERY GD morning for the last TEN years, this POS goes in to the bathroom and brushes his teeth and NEVER washes the sink out after he’s done and leaves ALL his nastiness in the sink for everyone else to see and smell when we go to wash our hands…Well, I now got it timed perfectly so that right when he starts sawin on his gums, I drop a morning DS load, (DSL), delivery right when he’s brushing his teeth! It’s been so bad sometimes I’ve even heard him gaging and choking on his toothbrush…:laugh::laugh::laugh:.

Prior to the DS….I NEVER farted. My little girl even asked me, "why don’t you ever fart Dad like normal guys do"? Well, the other day…she said, "I want my old Dad back, you know, the one that never farted"…lol, so, I guess I’m making up for lost time. Lemons, lemonade kind of thing.

I’m four months out as of yesterday, and it does really get better, hang in there and make the best of it…lol!

Last edited:
Poo Pourri, Dave, Poo Pourri. You spray three sprays into the toilet before you go and it traps the smell in the water.
Yes, it works. It tends to be the least expensive on QVC.

As far as the toxic gas goes...I have had to deal with that as well. My dog won't even sleep under the covers anymore. As a matter of fact, he prefers to sleep on the floor of my room near the door. Some nights, he just stays in the living room.

I take a probiotic with 10 billion things in it everyday to combat it. I will tell you that at six weeks out, the gas is getting better, but the foul odor from the DSL (to borrow Robs description) is being combatted with my beloved Poo Pourri.

I'm 3 months out. I carry poopouri around. I have the refillable 1 ounce spray. It works well.

I honestly do not have chronic smelly issues. Maybe 5 times since surgery have been really bad smelling. I am not on a probiotic either. Everyone is very different.

It may be a good thing to look into what you're eating and drinking.

I like to use Febreze double duty 2X. It seems to work better than most air fresheners. I also like to spray some nicely scented stuff after the Febreze as kind of a double whammy. My current favorite is a Wal-Mart brand Mainstays Odor Neutralizing room spray, Wild Honeysuckle. Seems to really help.

@robs477 I had never before considered this particular use for the power of the DS. We should put you in charge of the war on terror. I laughed myself silly over your post.

@Dave0168 I love your vivid imagination. Is that photo from the bombing of Germany towards the end of WWII?? Really, it's not THAT bad...is it?

Seriously, it will get better with time as your innards adjust and your diet stabilizes. You will learn what foods work well for you and which ones are weaponized (or would be for Robs, anyway), get going on a really good probiotic and it really will get better.

@robs477; DSL, that's awesome! And your re-purposing of your new found "superpowers", classic! I am kind of freaked out by the oil slicks too but also kind of expected them. Still weird.

@GirlFriday thanks for the link. I'm going to try some. Hopefully I can find some Trap-A-Crap or the Master Crapsman pack LOL

@Larra sometimes I can be quite imaginative but seriously after my first atomic DSL (see @robs477, you just may have coined a new term) I began having these types of images until I reached fresh air.

I have been taking Keifer periodically but have been off it as of late. Maybe I need to add it on a daily basis.

To be perfectly honest, I've gotten pretty good at shit-and-run so as to minimize my exposure time. Doesn't fare well for the next poor sucker who needs the facilities.

And fart fans? Phfffttt, unless they are the size of a chicken house exhaust fan, forget it. Like stuffing a bale of cotton in vacuum cleaner hose.

You may be sensitive to lactose or carbs - those triggered epic winds in my early days...

You may be sensitive to lactose or carbs - those triggered epic winds in my early days...

That could be although my stomach seems to tolerate them.

Come to think of it, I do notice a foul wind more often after I eat something carby but the smell is pretty consistent across all foods: rotten.

Here I was, spouting my oh-so-knowledgeable knowledge, when I had One Of Those Days. We are traveling and I ate half of my Thai curry last night and the other half for a late lunch. I am in my office in VA for the first time in over a year. I am a partner and some of the new staff doesn't know me.

I suddenly had to go at about 5:30 PM. So off to the ladies room I go, although I realize (too late) that the other professional woman in the office is allergic to bathroom sprays and asked for them to be removed from the bathroom.

I'm in one of the two stalls pooping a pretty noxious witch's brew, when several ladies on our staff come in and started making comments about how it stinks. I'm trapped - I don't want to embarrass them by having them realize it's a partner they are talking about, so I'm just being as quiet as possible. Suddenly, they realize that there is someone in the other stall, likely the perpetrator, and they all get very very quiet too. It's a standoff - even though I'm done pooping, I'm waiting for them all to leave, because I don't want either of us to see each other when I leave the stall. They finally left - and I slunk out of the bathroom and my trail of stink. And of course I couldn't spray anything in the bathroom.

Fortunately, I work from home most of the time, and I rarely have to go poop in public when I DO go out. But that was a bad one and amusingly timed with this thread (literally nothing like that has happened to me in years).

Here I was, spouting my oh-so-knowledgeable knowledge, when I had One Of Those Days. We are traveling and I ate half of my Thai curry last night and the other half for a late lunch. I am in my office in VA for the first time in over a year. I am a partner and some of the new staff doesn't know me.

I suddenly had to go at about 5:30 PM. So off to the ladies room I go, although I realize (too late) that the other professional woman in the office is allergic to bathroom sprays and asked for them to be removed from the bathroom.

I'm in one of the two stalls pooping a pretty noxious witch's brew, when several ladies on our staff come in and started making comments about how it stinks. I'm trapped - I don't want to embarrass them by having them realize it's a partner they are talking about, so I'm just being as quiet as possible. Suddenly, they realize that there is someone in the other stall, likely the perpetrator, and they all get very very quiet too. It's a standoff - even though I'm done pooping, I'm waiting for them all to leave, because I don't want either of us to see each other when I leave the stall. They finally left - and I slunk out of the bathroom and my trail of stink. And of course I couldn't spray anything in the bathroom.

Fortunately, I work from home most of the time, and I rarely have to go poop in public when I DO go out. But that was a bad one and amusingly timed with this thread (literally nothing like that has happened to me in years).

:ROFLMAO::laugh::ROFLMAO::laugh:.......

Latest posts

Back