Hi im new to the group ???

Tawanna Atkinson

I am in the process of getting all my required visit done so that I maybe approved for the DS. I am 37 5'3 my bmi is 75. I weigh 423 lbs. I have hbp, predieabeties and sleep apnea, I will be meeting with Dr Kevin Hoddinott of Ocala, Fl. Have any of you had any expr with him? I have heard great thing thus far but I want to be sure because the DS I've heard is a move involved procedure.

Hello and welcome. Congratulations on starting the process towards the DS.

I am not familiar with your surgeon and I don't see him on the vetted list on DSFACTS.COM but, I am sure there will be some people along shortly to give you advice.

His rep wasn't so good in the old days...4 or 5 years ago. I would definitely look at the list on dsfacts.com. Dr Smith in Atlanta might be a good option location wise. I understand his office might be difficult to deal with but that may be hit or miss.

You've been warned about him elsewhere already. There is a surgeon named Jawad in FL who has no sanctions or malpractice convictions on his record. If you can't figure out how to cross the state line to find a reliable DS surgeon, at least consider an unknown entity with no recorded fuckups.

Welcome, Tawanna!

images

Hoddinott is a big fat NO. Jawad is an unknown. I wouldn't have surgery in FL, period. You are also VERY big - you need someone with lots of experience in operating on SSMO people, not someone who is just learning to do the surgery, or who already has multiple bad outcomes.

Also: (1) Don't expect to get the answer you want about your choice of surgeon by shopping for different opinions on different DS sites - the crossover membership is pretty much 100%. And (2) if you start deleting your threads here, expect the same result - the same people are here too.

Welcome Tawanna! Best of luck in your search for a good surgeon to perform this difficult procedure. Remember, convenience is no substitute for competence and skill. Look for a Dr. who has experience doing DS's...and NOT just revisions to DS's. I was going to use a guy who I later found out was doing the procedure completely wrong-as I heard from his own lips! I asked him if he followed the Dr. Hess approach in determining the common channel length, and he replied "Well...I just make it 2 meters.....err....1.9 meters. It still lets you lose some weight, but without all the risks of malabsorption and risk of diarrhea." WTF?!? That's a common channel length of 190 cm's....almost double the longest Hess does. It would completely gut the strength of the procedure, and clearly indicates he lacks an understanding of exactly why this procedure is the most successful for big people like us. We NEED malabsorption! Anyhoo, please try to be patient and learn from experienced vets here who've been though it all already. It can save you a lifetime of heart ache if you are humble enough to receive from them. Anyone can have a pleasant chittychat with you and blow smoke up your ass, but only a true friend will care enough to tell you the unvarnished truth. I want the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!!! I'm sure you do as well. Best of luck...and welcome!

Welcome, Tawanna!

I haven't read anything on other sites about your journey, but do know how easy it is to place trust in the doctors we encounter almost just by dint of their position. After all, after years of being MO or SMO or SSMO and finally making the very difficult decision to pursue WLS, we want to believe that the doctors who tell us they can "fix the problem" can do so. And they are medical professionals - trained, licensed, etc. They speak with confidence and reassurance. But, the truth is, that just as there are good, great and horrible plumbers, teachers, etc., there are good doctors, great doctors and horrible doctors out there. Most are good, but some are not. Unfortunately, it is hard, if not impossible, for a new patient to determine from an office visit how competent a doctor might be at performing a given surgery.

You are doing the right thing by checking around. The DS is a very complicated procedure. You literally are putting your life in the hands of whatever surgeon you select. Make sure it is someone who deserves that trust and who has a proven track record of success with the complicated surgery you are pursuing. The warning bells are ringing here. Don't ignore them. Choose a vetted surgeon.

Having just come to grips with taking time off, pain, recovery, and lifestyle changes, it is difficult to think of having to travel and add more inconvenience and possibly expense in the mix. The inconvenience is temporary. Your life is worth it.

Wishing you all the best,
Hilary

You've been warned about him elsewhere already. There is a surgeon named Jawad in FL who has no sanctions or malpractice convictions on his record. If you can't figure out how to cross the state line to find a reliable DS surgeon, at least consider an unknown entity with no recorded fuckups.

Hoddinott is a big fat NO. Jawad is an unknown. I wouldn't have surgery in FL, period. You are also VERY big - you need someone with lots of experience in operating on SSMO people, not someone who is just learning to do the surgery, or who already has multiple bad outcomes.

Also: (1) Don't expect to get the answer you want about your choice of surgeon by shopping for different opinions on different DS sites - the crossover membership is pretty much 100%. And (2) if you start deleting your threads here, expect the same result - the same people are here too.

I know that I am large, but thanks for pointing that out! The only answer thast I am searching for is the true. It a shame that we can't be adults. If I wanted to play I have three kids for that! By the way what results did I get when deleting my post and self? Nothing! I thought I was joining these groups to learn from the vetts but I guess not, it gang up on Tawanna day, how classic, but thanks for the information you did provide.

Welcome Tawanna! Best of luck in your search for a good surgeon to perform this difficult procedure. Remember, convenience is no substitute for competence and skill. Look for a Dr. who has experience doing DS's...and NOT just revisions to DS's. I was going to use a guy who I later found out was doing the procedure completely wrong-as I heard from his own lips! I asked him if he followed the Dr. Hess approach in determining the common channel length, and he replied "Well...I just make it 2 meters.....err....1.9 meters. It still lets you lose some weight, but without all the risks of malabsorption and risk of diarrhea." WTF?!? That's a common channel length of 190 cm's....almost double the longest Hess does. It would completely gut the strength of the procedure, and clearly indicates he lacks an understanding of exactly why this procedure is the most successful for big people like us. We NEED malabsorption! Anyhoo, please try to be patient and learn from experienced vets here who've been though it all already. It can save you a lifetime of heart ache if you are humble enough to receive from them. Anyone can have a pleasant chittychat with you and blow smoke up your ass, but only a true friend will care enough to tell you the unvarnished truth. I want the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!!! I'm sure you do as well. Best of luck...and welcome!

I know that I am large, but thanks for pointing that out! The only answer thast I am searching for is the true. It a shame that we can't be adults. If I wanted to play I have three kids for that! By the way what results did I get when deleting my post and self? Nothing! I thought I was joining these groups to learn from the vetts but I guess not, it gang up on Tawanna day, how classic, but thanks for the information you did provide.
Are you always such a professional victim? Lose the attitude and quit acting like a jerk. You might even consider apologizing for you asshole behavior on the FB group.

Do you want advice from people who know their shit or not?

@DianaCox , where's that "askhole" pic when you need it?

Don't like what I have to say? Use your block button. People who steal my words, and those of others, piss me off.

Latest posts

Back