Hi im new to the group ???

Thank you :) so much I have just decided to go with the Ds but I was told that dr hoddinott was the only surgeon in florida. I have medicaid so I can go to a different state. At first I was excited about the gb, now after learning about the Ds I feel that would be a much better fit for me.

Welcome, Tawanna!

I haven't read anything on other sites about your journey, but do know how easy it is to place trust in the doctors we encounter almost just by dint of their position. After all, after years of being MO or SMO or SSMO and finally making the very difficult decision to pursue WLS, we want to believe that the doctors who tell us they can "fix the problem" can do so. And they are medical professionals - trained, licensed, etc. They speak with confidence and reassurance. But, the truth is, that just as there are good, great and horrible plumbers, teachers, etc., there are good doctors, great doctors and horrible doctors out there. Most are good, but some are not. Unfortunately, it is hard, if not impossible, for a new patient to determine from an office visit how competent a doctor might be at performing a given surgery.

You are doing the right thing by checking around. The DS is a very complicated procedure. You literally are putting your life in the hands of whatever surgeon you select. Make sure it is someone who deserves that trust and who has a proven track record of success with the complicated surgery you are pursuing. The warning bells are ringing here. Don't ignore them. Choose a vetted surgeon.

Having just come to grips with taking time off, pain, recovery, and lifestyle changes, it is difficult to think of having to travel and add more inconvenience and possibly expense in the mix. The inconvenience is temporary. Your life is worth it.

Wishing you all the best,
Hilary

Are you always such a professional victim? Lose the attitude and quit acting like a jerk. You might even consider apologizing for you asshole behavior on the FB group.

Do you want advice from people who know their shit or not?

@DianaCox , where's that "askhole" pic when you need it?

Don't like what I have to say? Use your block button. People who steal my words, and those of others, piss me off.

Look my purpose for being these many sites it to learn , simple that's it. Not one time did I disrespect anyone, but I am willing to apologize to you if you feel that I wronged you in anyway.

Tawanna, welcome!

I think I've seen you on another site, though I'm not certain. In any event, what you have learned here already is that people are outspoken. This is NOT so as to offend you or hurt your feelings. It's to warn you away from a potentially harmful course. The surgeon you are presently considering does not have a good reputation with the DS. Actually, I think he stopped doing them for a long time, and I was surprised to see his name crop up again...and concerned. The DS is a complex operation, and you are higher risk than some because of your bmi - no insult intended, we have all been there to one extent or another, no one here is going to think less of you whether your bmi is 25 or 75 or 100. That's the beauty of a community like this. But we also have to be realistic and accept that some surgical patients are higher risk than others for all sorts of reasons, and that makes it even more important that you get yourself into the hands of the best possible surgeon.
Dr. Smith in GA is has an excellent reputation for the DS. He does require very careful assessment and testing before he operates, but I think that's a good thing, not a bad thing. I hope you will consider him. There are other DS surgeons in the East that would be further but have great reputations and extensive DS experience. My guess is that if you stay with your Fla surgeon you will either end up with a complication, or with just a sleeve, as he won't be able to complete a full DS on you. He'll have some excuse or other - we see this often with patients who pick surgeons who lack experience with the DS, esp if the patient is relatively large (again, no insult intended).
I agree with you that the DS is your best choice to reach a normal or near normal bmi and to relieve your comorbidities. Good decision! Now make a good decision on your surgeon and you'll be all set.

And lastly, take the more strongly worded comments in the spirit in which they are intended, which is to steer you away from a potentially dangerous choice, not to offend. We each have our own way of expressing our opinions, and I think that's a good thing. Some people will respond to a gentle approach, others need to hear strong words. There is a place for both types of communication. But we are all telling you the same thing, and that should tell you something.

Larra

Tawanna, welcome!

I think I've seen you on another site, though I'm not certain. In any event, what you have learned here already is that people are outspoken. This is NOT so as to offend you or hurt your feelings. It's to warn you away from a potentially harmful course. The surgeon you are presently considering does not have a good reputation with the DS. Actually, I think he stopped doing them for a long time, and I was surprised to see his name crop up again...and concerned. The DS is a complex operation, and you are higher risk than some because of your bmi - no insult intended, we have all been there to one extent or another, no one here is going to think less of you whether your bmi is 25 or 75 or 100. That's the beauty of a community like this. But we also have to be realistic and accept that some surgical patients are higher risk than others for all sorts of reasons, and that makes it even more important that you get yourself into the hands of the best possible surgeon.
Dr. Smith in GA is has an excellent reputation for the DS. He does require very careful assessment and testing before he operates, but I think that's a good thing, not a bad thing. I hope you will consider him. There are other DS surgeons in the East that would be further but have great reputations and extensive DS experience. My guess is that if you stay with your Fla surgeon you will either end up with a complication, or with just a sleeve, as he won't be able to complete a full DS on you. He'll have some excuse or other - we see this often with patients who pick surgeons who lack experience with the DS, esp if the patient is relatively large (again, no insult intended).
I agree with you that the DS is your best choice to reach a normal or near normal bmi and to relieve your comorbidities. Good decision! Now make a good decision on your surgeon and you'll be all set.

And lastly, take the more strongly worded comments in the spirit in which they are intended, which is to steer you away from a potentially dangerous choice, not to offend. We each have our own way of expressing our opinions, and I think that's a good thing. Some people will respond to a gentle approach, others need to hear strong words. There is a place for both types of communication. But we are all telling you the same thing, and that should tell you something.

Larra

Thank you :) I am willing to listen the only thing is I have fl medicaid and I no that I can't get a surgeon out ga.,

Last edited by a moderator:
@Tawanna Atkinson , just some helpful hints. It is considered bad manners on Facebook to delete your post. The reason for this is because on a DS Facebook forum, the threads can be "bumped" up so more newbies can benefit from our answers to your questions. Also, when you delete your post, all of our words are essentially stolen. So it's not nice to delete your original post like you did. THAT is why people are upset, just so you know.

Also, like Diana Cox already explained, a lot of us here are also on the many Facebook DS forums. So, yes, we remember you. We help a lot of people. Don't get nasty with people, it will blow back in your face in a spectacular manner. I picked a fight early out with Diana Cox, so I know what I'm talking about. She is one of the very best veterans on this site, she helps people fight for and get the DS with their insurance companies. We have many professionals on this site who are willing to help you, but not if you misbehave. So drop the attitude and we'll get along just fine.

Finally, Dr. Hoddinnot has serious sanctions against him. Most of us here know about his sanctions. What a sanction is meant for is to warn future patients AWAY from a bad surgeon. He is not who you want cutting on you. You will end up traveling for your DS, because there are NO good DS surgeons in Florida ("good" being the important word). Listen to the vets here and you will do well.

Thank you :) I am willing to listen the only thing is I have fl medicaid and I no that I can't get a surgeon out ga.,

Would you restate this, please? I can't tell if you must stay in FL or if you can go to another state.

Also, all you have to do here is hit REPLY and the quote will show up automatically.

Oh...and when someone here says that you a big or heavy or very big or very heavy, understand that all of us have been or are at least morbidly obese. No one is calling you a fatty. But there are DEGREES of morbid obesity and the heavier someone is, the more dangerous ANY surgery is going to be. With a BMI of 75, you need a VERY experienced surgeon...one who is known for his or her success with the SUPER morbidly obese.

I know that I am large, but thanks for pointing that out! The only answer thast I am searching for is the true. It a shame that we can't be adults. If I wanted to play I have three kids for that! By the way what results did I get when deleting my post and self? Nothing! I thought I was joining these groups to learn from the vetts but I guess not, it gang up on Tawanna day, how classic, but thanks for the information you did provide.

Also, lose the attitude. All of us post-ops eat way less than we used to, but most of us here could eat you alive while tap dancing and playing our own music on the piano at the same time. You just don't want to go there.

Tawanna hope I didn't offend you by saying "big people like us" but Spiky Bugger is correct-we're and/or were ALL big here. I too am in the 400's. You and I though with BMI's over 50 fall into the super morbidly obese category. It's all the more critical that we have an expert surgeon working on us, rather than some guy still learning the procedure. I'm sure you'll find a great surgeon and all will be well.

@Tawanna Atkinson , just some helpful hints. It is considered bad manners on Facebook to delete your post. The reason for this is because on a DS Facebook forum, the threads can be "bumped" up so more newbies can benefit from our answers to your questions. Also, when you delete your post, all of our words are essentially stolen. So it's not nice to delete your original post like you did. THAT is why people are upset, just so you know.

Also, like Diana Cox already explained, a lot of us here are also on the many Facebook DS forums. So, yes, we remember you. We help a lot of people. Don't get nasty with people, it will blow back in your face in a spectacular manner. I picked a fight early out with Diana Cox, so I know what I'm talking about. She is one of the very best veterans on this site, she helps people fight for and get the DS with their insurance companies. We have many professionals on this site who are willing to help you, but not if you misbehave. So drop the attitude and we'll get along just fine.

Finally, Dr. Hoddinnot has serious sanctions against him. Most of us here know about his sanctions. What a sanction is meant for is to warn future patients AWAY from a bad surgeon. He is not who you want cutting on you. You will end up traveling for your DS, because there are NO good DS surgeons in Florida ("good" being the important word). Listen to the vets here and you will do well.

Ok, sorry about deleting the post, and I didn't know anything about stolen words. Thanks for telling me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks and that is what I'm trying to do! I'm asking around on different site about hoddinott but I am aware that he is not the surgeon I need to be dealing with.

Even with FL Medicaid, you may be able to argue that there is no surgeon in-state who is experienced and qualified enough to be your surgeon, due to your size and high surgical risk. I think Dennis Smith in GA might be OK and I know he takes Medicare (or did - and I realize state Medicaid is different than federal Medicare, but he might be cooperative, but you could at least check out whether he would cooperate with FL Medicaid).

Failing that, I really think I would rather go to unproven Jawad, than Hoddinott. But I REALLY wouldn't want to use either of them. I would BET you would not end up with a proper DS.

Latest posts

Back