Hi from FLorida

gypsygirl2015

Hi Everyone

Been a lurker for some time now but figured its time to join and get some support. I am a 36yr old mom(Name is Monica) from Orlando Florida, currently in the beginning stages of this process.

I have completed all my requirements( blood work, psch eval etc) but still have 2 more appts with my doctor and NUT left as required by my insurance(aetna requires 90 days of a supervised diet etc).

At my first appt with the surgeon (Dr Jawad) I expressed I wanted to explore the options of the traditional DS and he agreed. I am still unsure of what I want to do but just recently found out Dr Jawad only does the SADI loop and for the life of me I cannot find any surgeons in FL who does the traditional DS. I want to actually talk/meet with a doctor who does the traditional DS so if anyone knows of a doc in FL or even GA who does the traditional DS, please let me know. i have tried searching but can't seem to find out a whole lot. Thanks for taking the time to read....

Dr. Dennis Smith in GA does the Ds, and last I heard was moving to Florida, though I don't remember any details about exactly where he is going or what his practice will be in his new location. He is a very well regarded DS surgeon.
Sadly, there are to my knowledge no DS surgeons in your state unless he starts doing the DS there. Since you already discussed the DS with Dr. Jawad, I would recommend contacting him again and seeing if he really does or does not do the DS and not just the SADI. I have heard both stories and don't know which is the truth. Get your info straight from him and not from office staff if at all possible. And if he really doesn't do it, get used to the idea of travel. Many people travel substantial distances to get the DS. It's inconvenient, but it's really just a matter of logistics. It's well worth the effort to endure a short term inconvenience to get the operation that will help you most in the long term.

Dr. Dennis Smith in GA does the Ds, and last I heard was moving to Florida, though I don't remember any details about exactly where he is going or what his practice will be in his new location. He is a very well regarded DS surgeon.
Sadly, there are to my knowledge no DS surgeons in your state unless he starts doing the DS there. Since you already discussed the DS with Dr. Jawad, I would recommend contacting him again and seeing if he really does or does not do the DS and not just the SADI. I have heard both stories and don't know which is the truth. Get your info straight from him and not from office staff if at all possible. And if he really doesn't do it, get used to the idea of travel. Many people travel substantial distances to get the DS. It's inconvenient, but it's really just a matter of logistics. It's well worth the effort to endure a short term inconvenience to get the operation that will help you most in the long term.
Thanks so much for the heads up and I go in to meet with Dr Jawad at the end of the month to discuss it with him. I am willing to travel for this, I just want to find an ideal match for me and that's why I figured would post on here. Thanks for the kinds words though, really appreciate it:)

Welcome Monica! Just make sure you know what you are getting and you are OK with it! No one really knows enough about the SADI to say for sure if it's as good as the DS. Not enough data available. My best guess is it's better than the RNY and not as good as the DS. You will lose some weight with any procedure but the real proof is being able to KEEP it off long term.

If you know you need the DS, don't settle for less.

Welcome, @gypsygirl2015

As to Dr. Smith...he is moving to Celebration, FL with the intention of teaching but do not know if he will be accepting DS patients as part of that.

Your next closest options are Dr. Boyce in Knoxville or Dr. Sudan in Raleigh.

:rainbowwelcome:
Hi Everyone

Been a lurker for some time now but figured its time to join and get some support. I am a 36yr old mom(Name is Monica) from Orlando Florida, currently in the beginning stages of this process.

I have completed all my requirements( blood work, psch eval etc) but still have 2 more appts with my doctor and NUT left as required by my insurance(aetna requires 90 days of a supervised diet etc).

At my first appt with the surgeon (Dr Jawad) I expressed I wanted to explore the options of the traditional DS and he agreed. I am still unsure of what I want to do but just recently found out Dr Jawad only does the SADI loop and for the life of me I cannot find any surgeons in FL who does the traditional DS. I want to actually talk/meet with a doctor who does the traditional DS so if anyone knows of a doc in FL or even GA who does the traditional DS, please let me know. i have tried searching but can't seem to find out a whole lot. Thanks for taking the time to read....

Welcome to ya Gypsygirl2015! I'm in Florida also but I chose to travel to Mexico to have mine done by the great Dr. Alberto Aceves in Mexicali. Unfortunately, he died in a plane crash 1 month after my procedure. The DS was supposedly covered by my job insurance, but there was no DR. in our plan performing the procedure, so I paid out of pocket to have it done. Don't give up! You'll find your doctor here on this site I'll bet. There are some of the most knowledgeable people regarding DS in the world right here on our little website. LISTEN TO THEM. They know of what they speak, or know how to put you in contact with those who do. Pay particular attention to the diet and vitamin supplement information provided here. Many doctors out there, including surgeons who do the DS, are less informed regarding supplementation needs than many of the seasoned DS veterans here. Trust me on that. You and you alone are going to need to learn MUCH going forward. I know you are going to do well, and I'm excited for the new life that awaits you! Grats on making this life changing decision, and for having the wisdom to seek out information by joining this site.

Latest posts

Back