Hi everyone!

LorraineC

Haven't checked in in a while, but I've been here reading the posts. Currently I'm 28 days post op (Rabkin) and 40 pounds down! Incision site is infected, but other than that, no major complications (let's hope this isn't a major one either)
Drinking my water, eating popsicles and yogurt and trying to find protein that I can stand. I had all kinds of Syntrax Nectar and the taste of it, Premier and Muscle Milk just make me gag. Looking at Isopure and Paleo protein as well as trying to find some others. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm more than willing to try them! TIA!

The only ones I could stand at that point were the pre-mixed Adkin's shakes. cheapest place I found was Walmart. I later learned about Pure Protein at Trader Joe's, which has 35 gm of protein in 11 oz. The chocolate flavor tastes pretty good if you add just a little milk.
You would be able to eat soft solids by now. Try the canned chicken from Costco (NOT regular store stuff) or tuna with mayo, shrimp, scallops, mild fish, that sort of thing. It will get better, it just takes time.

The only ones I could stand at that point were the pre-mixed Adkin's shakes. cheapest place I found was Walmart. I later learned about Pure Protein at Trader Joe's, which has 35 gm of protein in 11 oz. The chocolate flavor tastes pretty good if you add just a little milk.
You would be able to eat soft solids by now. Try the canned chicken from Costco (NOT regular store stuff) or tuna with mayo, shrimp, scallops, mild fish, that sort of thing. It will get better, it just takes time.
Thank you! I have zero appetite, but I will try forcing down some canned chicken with mayo.

I do not find any of the protein drinks delicious. Try to think about protein drinks as medicine rather than something tasty. In that way, you won't be disappointed! I currently use Jay Robb whey protein or egg protein. Jay Robb protein uses stevia as the sweetener, which I prefer. I add ice and a little mint extract and whip it up in a blender. Viola! My daily breakfast. It is not bad, but not delicious.

Yay on the 40 pounds!!!! Good bye and good riddance. Alas your appetite will come back.

So, I posted this already today. The protein I like is actually what Bill Hartman's office sells - I hate everything else. Bill is the psychologist who comes to Dr Rabkin's group at the end.

https://dietonsale.com/mocha-pudding-and-shake-mix/
https://dietonsale.com/marshmallow-chocolate-chip-pudding/
https://dietonsale.com/dulce-de-leche-caramel-pudding/
https://dietonsale.com/tangy-lemon-pudding-with-fiber/

The protein power he sells is by far the best and has tons of vitamins in it. I bought it Bills shop right after surgery, but now i buy it online because it's less money and easier to have it delivered. But I would go get some from Bill's place and try it before you order it. Mocha is my fave. I make it and eat as pudding, not a shake. I let it chill for a few hours too.

I do not find any of the protein drinks delicious. Try to think about protein drinks as medicine rather than something tasty. In that way, you won't be disappointed! I currently use Jay Robb whey protein or egg protein. Jay Robb protein uses stevia as the sweetener, which I prefer. I add ice and a little mint extract and whip it up in a blender. Viola! My daily breakfast. It is not bad, but not delicious.
I'll look into them. My main problem is that if I try to drink the shakes I end up puking them up 5-10 minutes later.

Yay on the 40 pounds!!!! Good bye and good riddance. Alas your appetite will come back.

So, I posted this already today. The protein I like is actually what Bill Hartman's office sells - I hate everything else. Bill is the psychologist who comes to Dr Rabkin's group at the end.

https://dietonsale.com/mocha-pudding-and-shake-mix/
https://dietonsale.com/marshmallow-chocolate-chip-pudding/
https://dietonsale.com/dulce-de-leche-caramel-pudding/
https://dietonsale.com/tangy-lemon-pudding-with-fiber/

The protein power he sells is by far the best and has tons of vitamins in it. I bought it Bills shop right after surgery, but now i buy it online because it's less money and easier to have it delivered. But I would go get some from Bill's place and try it before you order it. Mocha is my fave. I make it and eat as pudding, not a shake. I let it chill for a few hours too.
Thank you! Definitely going to look through and maybe order something. Anything that will help me get protein I can stand!

Thank you! Definitely going to look through and maybe order something. Anything that will help me get protein I can stand!

I like this protein power a lot!!!!! All the other ones taste gross to me. I like the Mocha and the chocolate marshmallow (it has little marshmallows and chocolate chips.. The other one that is good from that group is the creamy chicken soup and tomato soup. You can add your own spices and spice it up. I add lots of garlic and herbs to both.

Make them as a pudding though. They are much better

Yeah I couldn't do protein shakes at all because the smell alone made me gag, and just about no food or drink had any appeal to me so I really struggled the first several months. One thing that really helped me with getting some protein and staying hydrated (I had to go to ER a few times for IV fluids because I just couldn't force myself to drink) was when I started eating nuts and sunflower seeds. It was mainly cashews but some pistachios as well. They tasted good and the salt made me thirsty so it was a double win. I also ate a spoonful of PB as well.

Regarding the incision please keep a close eye on it and I assume you are on antibiotic. After my revision with Dr K where hed did hand assisted lap leaving a wound about 3-4 inches long (top of pubic area to umbilicus) Well after I got back to Illinois roughly 7 or 8 days after surgery my wound was looking nasty so my PCP told me not to bother coming to see him because he didn't want to mess with a surgeon's work and to go to the ER. Thankfully I did because they said it was definitely infected and I had gone septic. They also did a CT and thought I likely had a perforated bowel because I had substantial air and fluid in my peritoneal cavity. It ended up not being a bowel perf but interventional readiology had to drain the air and fluid. I spend three days in hospital on a big gun antibiotic. I am sure your's isn't that bad but definitely want to watch it and if it is oozing yellowish or green stuff and or inflamed, let Dr R know right away..

Anyway, glad that other than that bump everything else seems to be going well. Congratulations and welcome to team DS!

I like this protein power a lot!!!!! All the other ones taste gross to me. I like the Mocha and the chocolate marshmallow (it has little marshmallows and chocolate chips.. The other one that is good from that group is the creamy chicken soup and tomato soup. You can add your own spices and spice it up. I add lots of garlic and herbs to both.

Make them as a pudding though. They are much better
Man that would have killed me at that time but I know others who loved tomato soup early on. The milk, the acidity of the tomato and the garlic would have been really rough on my system, but I am glad it worked for you. I actually ate cream of wheat with half and half and a little splenda early on because it really was the only thing that didn't taste absolutely horrible. I didn't have but maybe five teaspoons max but it was so good and gave me a tiny bit of sustenance. I know that Cream of Wheat would have absolutely killed other people and the carb police would go nuts :D but it worked for me just like those soups worked for you.

BTW, I used to love cream of chicken soup but now days I don't really like it at all anymore. That is one of the few foods that I recall that I liked pre DS and don't now that I am post DS.

I'll look into them. My main problem is that if I try to drink the shakes I end up puking them up 5-10 minutes later.
How about greek yogurt? I was able to eat a tiny bit of that, even though it was really tart and tangy to me then.

How about greek yogurt? I was able to eat a tiny bit of that, even though it was really tart and tangy to me then.
I have a bit of greek yogurt, but it's super heavy in my stomach. I have to force it. 1 container takes me about 3 hours to eat.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a bit of greek yogurt, but it's super heavy in my stomach. I have to force it. 1 container takes me about 3 hours to eat.
Yeah, that is pretty normal early on. That is how you have to eat at this point. Slow and easy. Too fast or one bite too much can have not so fun consequences. Sounds like you are doing great though and this time will pass. It gets better everyday and before you know it you will be eating without worrying.

Latest posts

Back