Hi everyone!

Yeah I couldn't do protein shakes at all because the smell alone made me gag, and just about no food or drink had any appeal to me so I really struggled the first several months. One thing that really helped me with getting some protein and staying hydrated (I had to go to ER a few times for IV fluids because I just couldn't force myself to drink) was when I started eating nuts and sunflower seeds. It was mainly cashews but some pistachios as well. They tasted good and the salt made me thirsty so it was a double win. I also ate a spoonful of PB as well.

Regarding the incision please keep a close eye on it and I assume you are on antibiotic. After my revision with Dr K where hed did hand assisted lap leaving a wound about 3-4 inches long (top of pubic area to umbilicus) Well after I got back to Illinois roughly 7 or 8 days after surgery my wound was looking nasty so my PCP told me not to bother coming to see him because he didn't want to mess with a surgeon's work and to go to the ER. Thankfully I did because they said it was definitely infected and I had gone septic. They also did a CT and thought I likely had a perforated bowel because I had substantial air and fluid in my peritoneal cavity. It ended up not being a bowel perf but interventional readiology had to drain the air and fluid. I spend three days in hospital on a big gun antibiotic. I am sure your's isn't that bad but definitely want to watch it and if it is oozing yellowish or green stuff and or inflamed, let Dr R know right away..

Anyway, glad that other than that bump everything else seems to be going well. Congratulations and welcome to team DS!
Wow! I talked to Dr Rabkin yesterday and he's on the case. Got everything I needed today and he examined it. He'll examine it when I go back on 4/3 as well. Thank you!!!

Wow! I talked to Dr Rabkin yesterday and he's on the case. Got everything I needed today and he examined it. He'll examine it when I go back on 4/3 as well. Thank you!!!
Good deal and you are quite welcome...but if it is warm, oozing bad stuff, red at all don't wait for 4/3.

For reference this is what mine looked like before it really got nasty.

11903741_10205365921010595_2228316299281947668_n.jpg

fyi it looks very smooth now.

Good deal and you are quite welcome...but if it is warm, oozing bad stuff, red at all don't wait for 4/3.

For reference this is what mine looked like before it really got nasty.

11903741_10205365921010595_2228316299281947668_n.jpg

fyi it looks very smooth now.
I'll definitely remember this, thanks. It's not red or warm, or even oozing right now. I think I squeezed all the pus out yesterday.

I didn't actually like any protein drink (or food, really) early out. For months I just used the least offensive protein drink like medicine. After MONTHS, I finally found some I liked as slushees, or made into a mocha.

Are you OK for soft foods? Eggs made into soft custard sweetened with splenda made a difference for me early on, and I still nom it.

I didn't actually like any protein drink (or food, really) early out. For months I just used the least offensive protein drink like medicine. After MONTHS, I finally found some I liked as slushees, or made into a mocha.

Are you OK for soft foods? Eggs made into soft custard sweetened with splenda made a difference for me early on, and I still nom it.
I'm good for any food now. Yesterday I forced down some chili sans beans with cheese and sour cream. I just have no appetite. I'll definitely try the eggs made into a custard! Thank you!

Tuna, I could handle, chicken not so much and mine WAS the one from Costco. I had to make my shakes with water cause I developed lactose intolerance. Still have it for some foods.

Yogurt and I are still best friends.

We're all so different in what we can eat. Early foods for me were cottage cheese, greek yogurt, a little bit of refried beans with melted grated cheddar cheese. I also liked Wendy's chili although it would take me days to finish a container. (I couldn't really tolerate dense protein for 9 months. I couldn't keep eggs down for a year and they're still not my favorite thing.) Non-dairy protein drinks: Unjury chicken broth. he only protein drink I really like is RTD Premier Protein chocolate and maybe banana.

I'm just two weeks post-op, so I've been hunting for palatable protein sources, too.

I know you said that Greek yogurt is tough for you, have you tried the Oikos Triple 0? It seems lighter to me and has 15g of protein per serving.

I also eat the Underwood White Meat Chicken Spread. It's very smooth and nicely seasoned.

I'm just two weeks post-op, so I've been hunting for palatable protein sources, too.

I know you said that Greek yogurt is tough for you, have you tried the Oikos Triple 0? It seems lighter to me and has 15g of protein per serving.

I also eat the Underwood White Meat Chicken Spread. It's very smooth and nicely seasoned.
I have tried the Oikos Triple 0. It's still hard to eat. I've had some chicken in a can and chicken salad, as well as rotisserie chicken and all are hard to eat. Every protein I've come across has this weird aftertaste as well from Isopure to Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard to Syntrax Nectar to Julian's Kitchen Paleo Protein and certain Atkins shakes)
I kind of miss the days when I could eat anything, but I know with time it'll pass.

Since you are having so much trouble with protein you might get in touch with your surgeon to see if something else is going on.

Are you taking a PPI?

I have tried the Oikos Triple 0. It's still hard to eat. I've had some chicken in a can and chicken salad, as well as rotisserie chicken and all are hard to eat. Every protein I've come across has this weird aftertaste as well from Isopure to Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard to Syntrax Nectar to Julian's Kitchen Paleo Protein and certain Atkins shakes)
I kind of miss the days when I could eat anything, but I know with time it'll pass.
Right now, the zero fat yogurt is fine but after a month or two, you need to make sure you are starting to get enough fat in. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/fats-are-not-the-enemy.3185/

Chicken took me 4 or 5 months. I really hard a hard time with anything dense and it hurt. Now 7 months out, I can handle anything.

So, the other thing that worked for me was cheese. Melted cheese. I would get smoked Mozzarella from trader joes and just melt it and eat it. And fresh Mozzarella worked, it's so soft. I would mush it up and add olive oil and vinegar. Feta cheese mixed with yogurt and spices worked too.

Oh and the other thing that worked quickly for me was Tofu. Now I generally don't like Tofu, but I would go to a Japanese restaurant and get Agedashi tofu which is basiclly tofu tempura in sauce. It's very soft because of the sauce.

Within 6 weeks, I could do shrimp salad with lots of mayo. But, chicken, was so hard and so was beef. Pork was easier.

It was very hard at first and I always had a tough stomach. But, my tummy was really unhappy with me. I remember, I had an olive and I love olives and even with just putting it in my mouth and having the watering mouth from the olive upset my tummy.

Last edited:
Since you are having so much trouble with protein you might get in touch with your surgeon to see if something else is going on.

Are you taking a PPI?
I am! Everyday. Rabkin says it's normal to not be that hungry right now, so as long as I can find a protein shake that doesn't come up, I'm ok.

Right now, the zero fat yogurt is fine but after a month or two, you need to make sure you are starting to get enough fat in. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/fats-are-not-the-enemy.3185/

Yes ma'am. That's one of the things I've learned from here and the FB group. As soon as I can handle more, I'll be adding fats in. Concentrating hard on protein right now, but hoping to feel well enough to add in fats in a couple of weeks maybe a month at most.

Latest posts

Back