Hi everyone

writegirl

Work in Progress
So, obviously I'm new and I've been prompted to say hello *waves* :) I'm in the early stages in my WLS journey and nervous about the whole process. I've been assured by my surgeon's office that I have good insurance and it should cover wls "very well," but I'm still nervous about any glitches that might arise. My surgeon said I am a great candidate for a sleeve or DS. I am leaning toward DS (I think) because I'm afraid of regain and I know my chances are better for sustaining WL with the DS.

Still, this is all quite overwhelming! Hope y'all are having a great weekend.

~Tori

Tori,

Welcome! Pretty new too, but on the other side of surgery. People here are big fans of the DS, so you should ask questions if you want.

So, obviously I'm new and I've been prompted to say hello *waves* :) I'm in the early stages in my WLS journey and nervous about the whole process. I've been assured by my surgeon's office that I have good insurance and it should cover wls "very well," but I'm still nervous about any glitches that might arise. My surgeon said I am a great candidate for a sleeve or DS. I am leaning toward DS (I think) because I'm afraid of regain and I know my chances are better for sustaining WL with the DS.

Still, this is all quite overwhelming! Hope y'all are having a great weekend.

~Tori
Welcome! Did I hear someone say Tennessee? Middle tennessee here, I had DS surgery on June 10 with Dr. Esquerra in Mexicali, Mexico. I was self-pay so found an excellent surgeon at a price I could afford too! Ask whatever questions you want.

Hi and welcome!
You're thinking is right on target. Weight regain is a big problem with sleeve as a stand alone after a few years (sometimes sooner). There are people who succeed with the sleeve, but it takes much more discipline and effort, and sometimes even that isn't enough. Sleeve also doesn't do as well with resolution of the major comorbidities - something to consider if you have type 2 diabetes, or sleep apnea, or high blood pressure.

Stick around and read the stuff that's already here - lots of good info. Ask questions if needed. Whatever decision you make, make it an informed decision.

Welcome, @writegirl
I notice you are in TN, Boyce's office? Good surgeon but get your vit/after you are healed eating advice from here.
Yes! Dr. Boyce has been so kind and reassuring. I feel lucky to have him :) I just realized you're also a Boyce patient (read the small print!). Your weight loss has been incredible! Congratulations on that. I am facing down a BMI of 50, I weigh just under 300lbs and I'm terrified of being trapped in this cycle of weight-loss and regain for the rest of my life. My sister has a RNY like 20 years ago and she's endured some substantial weight gain since that time. She's much better off than she would have been--she started at over 500lbs--but it's still been a struggle for her.

I see the writing on the wall with my own continual weight gains. I honestly feel like I will die young if I do not get wls now.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome!
You're thinking is right on target. Weight regain is a big problem with sleeve as a stand alone after a few years (sometimes sooner). There are people who succeed with the sleeve, but it takes much more discipline and effort, and sometimes even that isn't enough. Sleeve also doesn't do as well with resolution of the major comorbidities - something to consider if you have type 2 diabetes, or sleep apnea, or high blood pressure.

Stick around and read the stuff that's already here - lots of good info. Ask questions if needed. Whatever decision you make, make it an informed decision.

Thank you for the reassurance. It's actually my second time returning to my surgeon. The first was back in 2012 when he was taking patients on for the plication clinical trials. He accepted me in to the trial, but then a number of things got in the way--sick parents, I was in the midst of a PhD program where the insurance was horrendous so I would have been self-paying a lot, and the timing was all wrong. After talking with my surgeon this time around, I'm so relieved I did not go with the plication--not that anything went terribly wrong with them or there were complications--but because after a few years the surgeon lost confidence in the procedure to some degree and that weight regain has been one of the reasons why.

Everything for a reason, I suppose ;) I will be asking lots of questions. I'm glad there is a community here to turn to--it's all rather overwhelming!

Welcome! Did I hear someone say Tennessee? Middle tennessee here, I had DS surgery on June 10 with Dr. Esquerra in Mexicali, Mexico. I was self-pay so found an excellent surgeon at a price I could afford too! Ask whatever questions you want.

Yes--Knoxville here. I teach at the University of Tennessee. You are so brave to have traveled to another country for surgery. I'm sure many people do the same because our health costs in this country are absurd. How are you feeling? I hope you got to experience a little bit of Mexicali while you were there. I love Mexican food so it would have pained me a little to be there while on the liquid pre-surgery diet, lol. I'm so glad to "meet" someone else who's been on the other side of DS in TN :)

Yes! Dr. Boyce has been so kind and reassuring. I feel lucky to have him :) I just realized you're also a Boyce patient (read the small print!). Your weight loss has been incredible! Congratulations on that. I am facing down a BMI of 50, I weigh just under 300lbs and I'm terrified of being trapped in this cycle of weight-loss and regain for the rest of my life. My sister has a RNY like 20 years ago and she's endured some substantial weight gain since that time. She's much better off than she would have been--she started at over 500lbs--but it's still been a struggle for her.

I see the writing on the wall with my own continual weight gains. I honestly feel like I will die young if I do not get wls now.
I lived in Knoxville when I had my surgery. But moved to NC in 2013. Still have friends in the area.

I was 56 when I had mine...had done the diet/regain most of my life. Knew the DS was my only real chance.

Now, as I said, great surgeon but the advice they dish out is RNY advice. Esp for eating long term. They consider fat the enemy...it ISN'T. I eat LOTS of fat and my last total cholesterol was 145. It's also how I stay unconstipated. Read all the threads here. There is a bookmark feature for keeping stuff that you want to find later. And pay particular attention to the Vitamin & Lab forum.

I lived in Knoxville when I had my surgery. But moved to NC in 2013. Still have friends in the area.

I was 56 when I had mine...had done the diet/regain most of my life. Knew the DS was my only real chance.

Now, as I said, great surgeon but the advice they dish out is RNY advice. Esp for eating long term. They consider fat the enemy...it ISN'T. I eat LOTS of fat and my last total cholesterol was 145. It's also how I stay unconstipated. Read all the threads here. There is a bookmark feature for keeping stuff that you want to find later. And pay particular attention to the Vitamin & Lab forum.

That's interesting. Dr. Boyce told me point blank that with the DS surgery he needed me to understand I had to commit to no less than 60 grams of protein a day. He did use the term "healthy proteins" but then he followed up with saying that it wasn't a fat restriction but that some fat might not be as easily digested because each patient is different. I wonder if things have changed some in there now. I'm so glad this forum is here to help me get educated on what life will be like throughout this process. So much to learn!

That's interesting. Dr. Boyce told me point blank that with the DS surgery he needed me to understand I had to commit to no less than 60 grams of protein a day. He did use the term "healthy proteins" but then he followed up with saying that it wasn't a fat restriction but that some fat might not be as easily digested because each patient is different. I wonder if things have changed some in there now. I'm so glad this forum is here to help me get educated on what life will be like throughout this process. So much to learn!
60 is waaaayyy too low for a DSer. 100+ is what many doctors recommend. Others say 125+. I'd say a great many of us follow the 125+. And why not? It keeps us full and happy. And is good for us.

Yeah, 60 is way too low for a DSer and for us, most protein is healthy...including "fatty meats".

After surgery, aim for 30 grams of protein per day by 30 days, 60 grams by 60 days, 90 grams by 90 days, and possibly 120 by 120 days. But you base it on your labs. That will tell you if you need to increase it or not.

Latest posts

Back