Hey hey! Tryin to be persistent in Vegas

Sorry but the crapband is not worth the cost of the plastic to make it. Yeah, I know they say it is outpatient and minimally invasive. Totally reversible. All true but they don't tell you it doesn't work and it has the highest stats for additional surgeries because of problems down the road! You should go out to dinner with a bandster! Welcome and I hope you do a LOT more research before you commit to anything! I live in Vegas too and you are right, it will be a battle. I don't know all the docs here but I don't know of any I would let operate on me. Luckily we are close to Cali and MX.

So here's the real logical deal. Any surgery that's restrictive only means you will have to live the rest of your life on a starvation diet or darn close to it. The best restrictive only option out there is the sleeve. You still get to have a real stomach and you preserve your pyloric valve. Plus, the sleeve is half of the DS so when you regain the weight, you can get the other half done. There are some people who don't have much to lose who are perfect for this surgery.

Then there is the RNY. IMHO, it's butchery and cruel to boot. Here's the cruel part, there is minimal malabsorbtion so by the time you hit the 2 year mark, your body has adapted and many start regaining even though they are still following the plan. You are stuck for life with the pouch and all it's issues. No eating and drinking for one. In Vegas, that's hard. For half the year we have to drink constantly.

Obesity is a disease, not a character flaw. You deserve a cure, not another punishment. Forget doing this fast and take some time to really learn. Every surgery will force your body to drop a few lbs. Then there is a honeymoon period where everything just works right. Every fatty knows they can lose 100lbs. But they can't keep it off. Focus on people who are 10+ years postop for the real story. Ask the real questions. Where will I be in 10 or 20 years if I have X surgery? What will my quality of life be in 10 or 20 years if I have X surgery? What diseases run in my family? Am I likely to develop diabetes at some point?

Be a critical thinker and follow the money. Any doc you see, will sell you on the procedure they do and quite possibly dis the other options. They are in business to make money and they want yours. This is not a whole lot different than walking into a used car lot. Fresh meat! Doctors do not always dispense the best information for their patients. They are only human and greedy.

Ask yourself the hard questions. Why am I fat? Will a lifelong diet do it for me? You need to know why you are heavy to know what surgery you need. Someone else already told you to think twice and cut once. Good advice! You are a young beautiful woman. Pick the surgery that will serve you best for the long term.

Read everything and learn!

Crapband: a big fat no f'ing way.
"Ruined-and-Why": don't even think about it.
VSG: if your BMI is well under 45, you can try it but you'll drivable fail, but at least it can be revised to a DS.
DS (and not loopDS/SADI/SIPS): think twice, cut once, and get the ONLY surgery with a proven track record and which allows a very tolerable lifestyle.

The problem with the DS and Dr K and I talked about this extensively last week, is that many VSG surgeon's make the sleeve too small and cause IRREVERSIBLE GERD and strictures. So guess what many do to get rid of the GERD? Yep, the revise to an RnY that we know will fail as well.

Those issues alone are bad enough but when you factor in that the VSG will more than likely result in very poor weight loss and diabetes will return after 6-12 months, it is not a good choice. In the best case it is step one of a DS, but in the worst case you have other medical issues that can lead to other bad choices.

@JuliaDS that was very nice and helpful for you to find this info for me!!
I'm doing my research now and this is a huge help... Seeing what the after affects are is just heart breaking..
You said it honey. So many people look to a surgeon to lead them down a path that is the most medically sound and effective. We have seen so much heart break and painful struggles from people who thought they did good research but ended up making a bad choice. That is why we are so adamant about the DS. This coming from a guy who had trouble with his DS and had to be revised to lengthen the absorbing channels because I was severely malnourished. I still recommend the DS as they only Bariatric Surgery I would ever consider.

Best of luck and ask us tons of questions. We want to help.

If you REALLY want a lapband, my old one is in a jar here. I could rent it to you.

Sue

PS--getting a lap band is a good idea if you want additional surgeries.

hey hey!!

As I've been told and as I've been researching I will be rejected! Rejected! Rejected! And MAN DOES IT DO A NUMBER ON YA!!!
I have Amerigroup (I know, I know! Uphill battle) ESPECIALLY IN NEVADA!!
There aren't any surgeons that offer the LapBand in town and I've called every one TWICE Just in case.. Lol
But I found ONE and he was NOT OPTIMISTIC at ALL!!! He says Amerigroup doesn't pay.. ... So not
Only is it hard to get approved but he does his part and doesn't get compensation...... As much as this process is tough on me.. I can't imagine getting "stiffed"..
But cash pay isn't an option and paying a car note to switch insurances isn't an option either!
What's a gal to do!

Hey that should tell you something if surgeons are not doing the easy CRAP BAND. The Mayo clinic no longer does them at all. Get a real weight loss surgery especially if it will be a fight to get it. If you do get insurance to pay you will be pretty pissed if you loose insufficient weight or even worse NO weight at all. It has a 50% failure rate.

If you REALLY want a lapband, my old one is in a jar here. I could rent it to you.

Sue

PS--getting a lap band is a good idea if you want additional surgeries.

Sue you are a hot mess. Buttttttt Do you think you could attach a picture of it I would sure like to see it

I had a distal RNY. I HD it 13 years before revising to the DS. I dumped off of everything but at the time was happy I did because it kept me from eating and drinking what I was not supposed to. After 1 years my pouch never stretched to normal size. DR. K SAID my pouch was miniscule at less than 2oz. But you learn how to eat slider food and eat around the surgery and gain weight. I couldn't really eat meat or dense foods. I ate side dishes and ground meat in some type of sauce if I did try to eat meat. The only stuff that goes down easy is mostly bad for you. Junk! Good luck choose wisely

Latest posts

Back