Help with some lab interpreting? Iron, Ferritin, Albumin

Yes, Taterweight, I have recovered from major surgery with low iron markers and with high iron markers. I can tell you from personal experience you want HIGH IRON going into surgery, but it's vitally important with the DS because it's so hard to get labs back up afterwards. It's also CHEAPER to KEEP your D level up than to try to raise it after the DS.

Make sure you get hard copies.

Also which vit D? If it's the gel, that is okay while pre-op, dry is better. Post-op use dry cause gel is incased in fat and you end up flushing most of the D down the toilet.

My hypothyroidism did not change...I was on the same amount before my DS that I am now. One trick to help with timing...take your thyroid pill during a middle of the night pee break.

Can you take the synthroid with iron/vit C/copper?

I am still struggling with getting iron in and my ferritin is dropping. I only have 1 middle of the night potty run, so will maybe try taking the iron immediately upon waking.

Thanks for the quick reply, Liz!

@Sheanie it was 98 in May, and 55 last week, end of July (range of 10-240). I haven't looked into infusions, but have made an appointment with my PCP to get complete labs run next week. The surgeon's office did not do complete panel that I would like, and she is very proactive and will help with this. I don't know that I need infusions at the moment, and have that idea in my pocket if they become necessary. I just have not been able to get iron in and it is so incredibly constipating that I was in rough shape for a week last time I tried to take it. My iron was low in May, but they didn't have it included in the 3-month labs.

I think that having 3 full-on periods in 6 weeks has not helped with the iron situation either. I have another appointment with my GYN next week to see about an ablation or something else, as this is ridiculous. My hope is that getting the super-heavy menstrual loss under control will help me maintain iron levels, regardless of how I get them increased.

Hey! Off topic, but I saw this thread in the "new posts" and noticed @Taterweight started it, where are you girl??? Hope all is well!

I'm fantastic! Thanks for asking. :) It's my busy season (antiques and estates) and since I'm 130 lbs lighter I have been going non-stop! I'll be back soon though, with my 6 month labs and brain in mass confusion!

Apparently I need to go research synthroid then -- no one has ever mentioned that to me and I've been on it for over 15 years. I guess my levels will stink when my endocrinologist looks at them next week :( :( Bummer
Now I need to go see if there is anything I can take at the same time with it or if everything is out of bounds. Arg, I hate to add another separate pill taking event -- I already have to remember to do it 5 different times a day, sigh. Ok, whining over...
That one (actually two for me as I take the generic for Synthroid and Cytomel....one is for my lousy T4, the other for my lousy T3) I take at night during a middle of the night potty run so as to not gum up the works. I don't do well not eating or DRINKING for 30 to 60 mins. Esp my coffee! I asked my pharmacist long ago if I could crush them as I wasn't sure about swallowing...he said it was fine. Mine have a faint sweet taste (something in the filler) as I chew them. But he did say that the ONLY thing I could take with them was a swallow of water...which is why I do mine at such an odd time.

Latest posts

Back