Help with Pain Meds...

Yes, lots of caffeine in energy drinks.

As many doctors recommend, I'm not supposed to have caffeine for quite some time after surgery. (It causes reflux, which DSers and VSGers often get.) I think DSRIGGS was suggesting just enough caffeine to take the edge off your withdrawal. The withdrawal only lasts a couple of days. Try to ride it out.

Ok so i get about 60 oz or more of liquids and my pee is relatively clear. I was thinking caffeine cause i used to have monster muscles several time a week which is an energy drink n protein drink mixed together.
Ok good to know i was pretty sure i had read i could have excedrine if i needed to so i did the migraine one has caffeine in it.
I dislike tea and coffee strongly otherwise i would get it thru that i am trying to think of any other none carbonated liquid that i like that has caffeine

Excedrin has aspirin in it. I would hold off till your stomach has a chance to heal. Try Tylenol and a bit of tea.

https://www.excedrin.com/excedrin-migraine-drug-facts.shtml

OMG you are right well there goes the Excedrine I completely forgot it had asprin in it that is a big no no. Ok I might try some tea if I can or just ride it out. It just has been so bad that it wakes me from a sound sleep and keeps me from going back to sleep

For me, hot tea had enough caffeine to help. But many people are given coffee right after their surgery, others are told to wait. That is one that really has no rhyme or reason. Other than the mistaken assumption that caffeine dehydrates. It IS a diuretic and early on, I would not count any caffeine you drink in your 64 oz total minimum per day but if you are already use to caffeine pre-op, then post op it's not gonna hurt you.

I went back to coffee about 4 weeks out.

For me, hot tea had enough caffeine to help. But many people are given coffee right after their surgery, others are told to wait. That is one that really has no rhyme or reason. Other than the mistaken assumption that caffeine dehydrates. It IS a diuretic and early on, I would not count any caffeine you drink in your 64 oz total minimum per day but if you are already use to caffeine pre-op, then post op it's not gonna hurt you.

I went back to coffee about 4 weeks out.
Lots of studies out there showing that caffeine's diuretic effect really doesn't amount to much when it comes to negatively impacting hydration. I drink a lot of coffee and am never dehydrated. That being said, I didn't drink any coffee early on after surgery because my stomach couldn't handle it ...heart burn

Get your caffeine and protein together! Try my vanilla chai latte recipe: 6 oz black tea, 2 oz milk at 140F or less, add to a mixture of 1 scoop Unjury vanilla protein with chai spices (cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger) to taste.

Get your caffeine and protein together! Try my vanilla chai latte recipe: 6 oz black tea, 2 oz milk at 140F or less, add to a mixture of 1 scoop Unjury vanilla protein with chai spices (cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger) to taste.

It's also delicious with Constant Comment tea... probably my all-time fave :)

Some doctors allow this. I couldn;t until week 3. However, I shun carbs like that (remember we absorb all of those) and focus on protein sources.

Thanks for the suggestions

hey does anybody know if I can have grits I'm on my second week

I wouldn't... carbs can really mess up your system. Of course, YMMV. At this point, however, hydration is job #1 and protein is #2.

I ate cream of wheat with half and half + splenda early on because I really couldn't eat anything else. It wasn't much volume but it gave my body some feul. Always want to remember that protein comes first but I am avid opponent of extreme carb restricting, and yes less than 50 carbs a day is a big time restriction, because you will eventually fall off the train and go on a major binge. Diabetics are a different situation but even then properly managed carbs are okay in moderation. Our bodies need protein but they also need carbs. We have to eat a heavy load of protein but carbs in moderation
are fine....... That being said this early out you need to everything you can to get in protein before touching any carbs.

Latest posts

Back