Help I've fallen and cant get up

Charris

Now an angel
Well time number 4. I went to put my foot in the pool and decided the next step was too far down. Tried to pull my leg back out didn't have enough strength. Now I'm getting really scared. I know something is wrong. I've passed out several times and became dead weight could not help at all to get up. Ideas? I cant get in or out the car myself. I have to physically pick each leg up and put it in the bed, car or where ever.

While you are waiting for the brainy people around here chime in...do call your PCP and make an appointment to get in as soon as possible.

Now...they don't always get it. I was having a few issues a while back that were NOT vertigo and they kept trying to diagnose that. It was probably lack of muscle tone...as in, I'd start to turn around in the shower and realize instantly that where I had placed my foot was not going to lead to a successful turn. I was not dizzy or lightheaded, just clumsy.

But you sound like yours is more serious, several episodes, close together. For your own safety, borrow a walker from someone...yes, I'm serious...just so you have something to hold onto.

But, @Charris pick up your phone NOW and make that appointment.

Honey let me be straight with you. These are neurological symptoms. You need urgent medical help. Here is what you ask for:

Vitamin b12 and folate assays
Head CT scan
Inflammatory markers
Full spinal X-ray
Ferritin
Now there are symptoms that are surgery related but not everything that goes wrong is because of our surgery. You need to be checked out for multiple sclerosis as well as deficiency because both present the way you described. Any issues with your vision?

The sooner you act the sooner you keep your physical function.

Oh, and passing out for no reason just once was a reason to call...and having to lift your legs with your hands-arms is a reason to call.

Except for not wanting to hear bad news, you don't have any good reason to not call.

So just do it.

Now.

What she said....

Honey let me be straight with you. These are neurological symptoms. You need urgent medical help. Here is what you ask for:

Vitamin b12 and folate assays
Head CT scan
Inflammatory markers
Full spinal X-ray
Ferritin
Now there are symptoms that are surgery related but not everything that goes wrong is because of our surgery. You need to be checked out for multiple sclerosis as well as deficiency because both present the way you described. Any issues with your vision?

The sooner you act the sooner you keep your physical function.

and print it out and take it with you.

In fact, make the call...but then pack a little bag to take to the hospital...because you might need to go to the hospital for some testing and if you keep flopping around like a just-caught tuna, they will admit your ass.

Sorry to be a nag, but I have recently watched someone deal with this, so it's making me crazy. I asked a friend. Here's the response.

Sue, this person needs to see a neurologist. Her primary care doc would either poke her, offer her PT and send her home or send her to a neurologist anyway.

The lower extremity weakness could be from something as simple as a pinched lumbar nerve or as serious as a brain tumor. The passing out thing is what concerns me. If she were my friend I would tell her to get in for a neuro consult this week. If she can't get in on her own she should have her PCP pull some strings for her.

You can tell her that your nurse friend said she needs to be seen now! Maybe the passing out isn't related, maybe it is, but combining it with lower extremity weakness is a matter of concern. Serious concern.

I can't add anything to Kirmy's excellent summary. My first though, given our surgery, is something vitamin or mineral related that is causing neurologic symptoms, but there is absolutely no way to know without lab work and work-up. And that means a prompt call to your doctor.
Keep in mind that if it is vitamin deficiency related, it may well improve/resolve with proper supplementation. And if it is deficiency related and you DON'T get on top of it, it could become permanent. So NOW is the time to address this.

If you can't get in to your PCP or a neurologist, GO TO THE ER or Urgicare! Passing out is nothing to mess around with.

They initially said they thought it was because of the low bp. I called and have an appt Thursday. I am just gonna bite the bullet and go to urgent care when my children get back from their job interview in a little bit.

@ Spikybugger I have a walker I've been using to get up of the toilet and other various things since I don't want my son to have to endure the smell trying to help me up.

Low bp may have something to do with passing out...but most people with low bp can lift their legs with leg muscles.

Really...you need that testing NOW.

This is scary @Charris and I agree with everyone above. Saying a prayer that it is nothing to serious. Have you been to urgent care yet? Waiting with everyone else for an update. You do realize we where repairs to revisions by Dr. K about the same time. I have followed all the problems you have had. You deserve a break.

Latest posts

Back