Hello!

I am currently in the process of researching,and deciding which surgery to get. I look forward to talking with all of you! :)
Welcome Melanie!! You have come to the right place for research. A wealth of information on this site. Which surgery are you contemplating? I'm 5 wks post op with a revision from Lapband to Duodenal switch.

Hi Cara, I am really leaning toward the duodenal switch,but that is only if I can get my insurance to cover it. My doctor recently got me a referral to a local doctor that offers the lapband,and the sleeve. I am going to make an appointment to talk to him,and then keep researching before I actually do anything. What made you want a revision?

Hi Cara, I am really leaning toward the duodenal switch,but that is only if I can get my insurance to cover it. My doctor recently got me a referral to a local doctor that offers the lapband,and the sleeve. I am going to make an appointment to talk to him,and then keep researching before I actually do anything. What made you want a revision?
I had the lapband done 8 years ago (crapband). I lost a little weight at first mostly because I puked a lot, but 8 years later I was 30lbs heavier. You won't find anyone here who would recommend the dreaded band. Research very carefully!!! I basically compared the RNY and the DS. Much fever surgeons do the DS. The RNY I did not want because it was too similar in constriction to the crapband and a friend of mine got it and she puked a lot!! By looking at the statistics alone the DS comes out on top for weight loss and long term weight loss and in curing weight related issues. Diabetes for one and Hypertension. I'm the least well educated on the benefits of this procedure. I will allow others to quote better statistics. I can tell you I have not puked once, am 5 weeks out and have dropped 30 pounds. ( you can eat quite a large amount)

I have heard only bad things about the lapband,which is why it isn't even an option for me. My Mother had the DS,and has managed to keep the weight off for 10 years now,which is another reason I am leaning toward it. Of all the research I have done,most people that have had the lapband or the sleeve end up getting a revision to the DS anyway,so I figure I would rather just have one surgery,rather than having to deal with a revision later. The only problem is my insurance,I have Medi-cal,and I am pretty sure they are not going to cover the DS.

I have heard only bad things about the lapband,which is why it isn't even an option for me. My Mother had the DS,and has managed to keep the weight off for 10 years now,which is another reason I am leaning toward it. Of all the research I have done,most people that have had the lapband or the sleeve end up getting a revision to the DS anyway,so I figure I would rather just have one surgery,rather than having to deal with a revision later. The only problem is my insurance,I have Medi-cal,and I am pretty sure they are not going to cover the DS.
Well I have learned from this forum that insurance coverage and billing codes are a science unto itself. I went self pay in Mexico but we have a big mix of people and surgeons. Which surgeon are you considering? Others here can tell you their track record among other details. What state are you in? I'm in Cali

I am in California as well. I haven't really considered a surgeon,but from what I have read Dr. Keshishian seem to be favored.
Dr Keshishian is THE BEST IN THE WORLD and revised my bad DS from Illinois (failed me because alimentary limb was too short so I battled malnutrition). Dr K and his staff are the compassionate, attentive to your need, and flat out talented tram you can find. I had BCBS PPO so I was covered for Dr K. If he doesn't accept your insurance look into Rankin in the Bay Area.. He is also excellent.

I very much like your thinking and if you have type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, or hypertension those will all likely go away with the DS..... You can't say that for the other surgeries

Good luck with your research and insurance coverage. Don't give up even if you are initially denied. We have a couple of great ladies here who have helped many get approved.

Welcome!

We're all rather partial to the DS around here -- and the REAL DS with 2 anastomoses, not the experimental SADI, DIPS or LoopDS.

You want ONE great surgery, not just because of the success of a virgin procedure and the stress on your body of having a second surgery, but because many insurance companies will only pay for ONE WLS PER LIFETIME. If you get the sleeve, it may be on your nickle if you later want to add the switch part of the DS.

Remember that if a surgeon does not do the DS s/he will not recommend it. (A Chevy dealer is not going to recommend you buy a Lexus.) So when you meet with the surgeon that only does bands or sleeves, do not expect to hear anything positive about the DS. (IMO the roux-en y is butchery. You want to keep your pylorus. And then the long term data on weight loss with RNY is abysmal.)

Keshishian is a great surgeon. Many people here have gone to him for complicated revisions and repairs. (I was self-pay and went to Esquerra in Mexicali MX, like Cara. Frankly, with some of the endless BS that insurance companies require, it would have been worth it to self pay even if my insurance company covered it.)

Good luck with your decision.

Welcome! I'm glad you found your way here.
Dr. K is indeed wonderful but does not accept Medi-Cal. I think I wrote to you elsewhere that Dr. Coates MIGHT (or might not) accept Medi-Cal, and there is definitely no other surgeon doing the DS at all who does. Dr. K does accept Medicare, but that's not the same thing.
You seem to have the right idea about lap band already - worst results of any bariatric surgery not just for weight loss but also highest reoperation rate either for complications, or band not tolerated, or because it never worked as advertised. For someone who wants a purely restrictive operation sleeve is definitely a better choice, but sleeve is not as effective or long lasting as DS and also doesn't have the rate of resolution of the major comorbidities as the DS. There are some people who make the sleeve work, but others having revisions.
I don't know your financial situation, but if you can't get a DS through Medi-cal, I hope you could save your pennies to get a DS in Mexico, which would be much less costly than in the USA but the care, in the right hands, is every bit as good.

Glad you are here! this is the best place to learn - I converted from crap band to the DS too and have not regrets! Your thinking seems right on track for what you want and need and am thrilled your Mom has done so well.

Latest posts

Back