Hello, Revision to DS here in AZ

Dr K is an incredible surgeon and human being. He did not do my DS surgery but we flew from Central, IL to LA (Glendale/Passadena) to have him to a modified gastric by pass (for resolution of gastroparesis), nissen fundoplication repair, hiatal hernia repair..he found a ventral hernia and repaired it and he found a meckel's diverticulum while doing the procedure and fixed it. I had numerous, numerous phone calls with Dr K before he even knew who we were.
He spent probably 5 hours with us that week outside of the surgical time and I would put my life in his hands instantly. I trust him that much.

I don't know this other surgeon but if Dianna and Liz are telling you stay away from this guy PLEASE trust them. They know what they are talking about and have only your best interest at heart. Don't be offended by the somewhat strong approach of some on this board, it is not meant to offend but is done out of deep concern for the welfare of prospective patients.

Please look into Dr K if you are still here on the board.

@Beckmo stay. I hated these people when o first joined because the told me the samr things about juarez. Called them a bunch of bitches. But they sparked interest in what they were saying. So I did done research and cancelled the week of surgery. Vyt thank god I did everything tgat had happened to ne im sured I would have dies if I didnt have the experience of dr. K knowing what to do. Ill say good luck. I would love to be your angel ill even stop by and see you if you like or need. Im glad to finally have a revision in az with me. Lmk ill send u my number if you like

I appreciate your concern. I don't want it taken as I am "spitting in your faces". I am really excited for this surgery and I am going to continue on with Dr. Juarez. If situations were maybe different way back in the beginning and I had time and money and means, etc, etc, etc,... I could possibly check out this Dr. K... he sounds wonderful. I will pray that all will go smoothly with this surgery... if you want to include your prayers in too, it would be appreciated. If negativism is what I will continue to get, there is no sense in keeping my profile. I would like the help after surgery from those that have had this and gone through this... but I do not want to always get the negative.
I am so appreciative of you out there that would like to be my "Angel". Please let me know how to get in touch with you and PLEASE, I need to really be supported in my decision and not contradicted in this choice. Thank you.

@Beckmo I already started a private conversation with you. Neither of us should post our email addresses publicly (no one should) but if you will reply to me on that conversation I can supply you with contact information for your family to use on the day of surgery and thereafter, until you are able to post yourself.
I hope you will net leave our group. Anyone having the DS with any surgeon needs the kind of support and knowledge that can only be found with other people who live with the same experience. The negativity expressed here is about your surgeon, not about you. There is a big difference. The concern for you is genuine.

@Beckmo, first, welcome. I am glad you are looking for information.

You said you know of people who had their revisions done by Juarez? Are these people you have met in person, or in online groups? How far out are they from their surgeries? Have they had any serious complications? Were their revisions like yours -- RNY to DS?

I do not know anything firsthand about your surgeon, and I do not know Dr. K. I am pre-op, virgin DS. I do know that it takes a highly skilled and well-trained surgeon to do any DS, and especially to do a laparoscopic DS. Did I read your post correctly, is Dr. Juarez going to do a laparoscopic revision of your RNY to DS? I am curious because from what I've read, it seems like most people with that complicated of a revision surgery had open procedures, not laparoscopic.

I do appreciate everyone's concern and if I don't take these warnings then it will bite ME in the butt, but I feel good and confident in my decision. I have talked with my surgeon about what surgery he is doing. It is listed as a "Laparoscopy Revision Duodenal Switch". I am sure that if there is a problem that it needs to go open, I am sure he will take the precautions and open me up ... which is fine. I am excited to have this surgery done and to start my new journey with the new tool of the DS.

I, however, have never met such negativity in joining a "support" group forum as this site. I feel under attack from my surgeon, to what surgery I am really having done, to whether it is really going to be a laparoscopy. This is amazing the negativity that has confronted me... yes, yes, yes, I know you are concerned... and it is NOT a SLAP IN THE FACE!! It has been a SLAP in MY face how it has come across. Yes, I will need the support after surgery... but I have a bad taste in my mouth to want as to want to ask for help when I have received such a "welcome".

Thank you to Charris and Larra who were willing to take me 'under their wing' and be my Angel. I appreciate your kindness. I will, however, be deleting my account.... I just don't need the bashing.

Wow. I kinda think that on the Internet, lots of times bashing is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. I was not bashing you, I am pre-op and totally new to the world of WLS in general, and I was asking what I thought were logical questions, and trying to do so fairly gently.

But ... now I will be more direct, whether or not the @Beckmo is still reading this thread. I have been pursuing this surgery for months now, I have a good deal of time invested in research and pre-op testing and procedures that were not all pleasant experiences. I was challenged by my surgeon to consider a different procedure than I had originally geared up for, and I have been challenged in this forum to consider all sides of things.

My life is on the line in the type of surgery I choose, who I choose to do it, and where I choose to have it done. You can bet your a$$ that right up until the day of my surgery, I will investigate every possibility and take seriously every well-advised opinion that is offered to me -- and I will continue to seek those opinions out. I will not get my feelings hurt or think people are being mean to me if they tell me things I need to hear.

So to be more direct, I don't know everything, but I have learned enough to know that a DS is a very complicated procedure. Only the top tier surgeons are able to do it at all, let alone do it laparoscopically. If I heard that just a few short years ago my surgeon had completely screwed someone up physically, and then suddenly he is not only doing complicated revisions but is doing them lap instead of open ... Wow. Instead of running off with my feelings hurt accusing people of being negative and bashing, I would start checking out the information people were sharing with me.

That is where i do not agree with your actions, @Beckmo. I am not bashing you, I am not calling you names, I am not saying bad things about you. I am sharing my perspective on an open forum where people like you and I come, presumably, to hear a different perspective and get advice on a gigantic, life-changing (and in some cases, life-threatening) decision.

I hope your decisions work out to your benefit.

I, however, have never met such negativity in joining a "support" group forum as this site. I feel under attack from my surgeon, to what surgery I am really having done, to whether it is really going to be a laparoscopy. This is amazing the negativity that has confronted me... yes, yes, yes, I know you are concerned... and it is NOT a SLAP IN THE FACE!! It has been a SLAP in MY face how it has come across. Yes, I will need the support after surgery... but I have a bad taste in my mouth to want as to want to ask for help when I have received such a "welcome".

Thank you to Charris and Larra who were willing to take me 'under their wing' and be my Angel. I appreciate your kindness. I will, however, be deleting my account.... I just don't need the bashing.
Support is not always a pat on the head while you jump into the frying pan. Sometimes support is trying to yank you back so you don't burn.

This is not a "rainbows and unicorns blowing up your butt" place. We tell it like it is. If you do not care for what we say, fine but know this, as much as you "want support now", you are really gonna need it later.

Spend time actually talking to Charris. She knows first hand about our support.

Oh, and a tidbit of admin info, deleting an account is not possible. There is no "delete my account" option. You may chose not to come back but your account is here.

I'm sorry you can't seem to distinguish the difference between attacking you personally (which NOBODY has done) and giving you information/expressing concerns about:
  • Your choice of surgeon - especially when he is someone with a well-known and very troubled past history with malpractice claims, punishments meted out by the state licensing board, and even a dead DS revision patient. We know you wouldn't know this, and instead of thanking us for our warnings, you claim we are attacking your choice.
  • Which surgery you are having, when these boards are RIFE with information about surgeons misrepresenting what they are doing (giving people who requested the DS a SADI instead, with no adequate chance to object or refuse) - which we are warning EVERYONE these days.
  • Your surgeon who, in addition to having questionable skills which we already know about based on the outcomes in performing simpler operations, claiming to be able to do the most complicated revision of all laparoscopically - when the two best in the field, who are gifted lap surgeons (Keshishian and Rabkin) insist that RNY to DS revisions be done open.
The subtitle of this website is "Buckle up for Candor." If you don't understand the difference between candor and personal attacks, perhaps you are one of those people who only learn not to touch a hot stove by being burned, rather than hearing and appreciating warnings from people with experience in the dangers of hot stoves. I hope you don't get burned too badly.

Your post is a tired internet cliche' - the GBCF (GoodBye Cruel Forum) post, AKA The Flounce. We've seen it hundreds of times before. Lucky for you, when you find yourself in trouble in a few weeks or months, and need our help, you will know where to find us, and most of us will welcome you back. We're quite tolerant in that way. But I suggest that you start your come-back post with an apology - that would be the mature thing to do.

And keep in mind that you can ignore/block people whose posts you don't want to read. That would be the better thing for you to do, because trust me, you're going to need the support of the people who are trying to help you using a tone you are willing to listen to.

Latest posts

Back