Hello from Texas!

Dclattimer

Hello,

I had my ds in December of 2013 with Dr. Hodges. Sw:375 Cw:197. I just had my 1st post ds baby 4 months ago and am trying to get back on the wagon so to speak. I didn't gain much weight during my pregnancy but I am not at my goal weight just yet.

Hello and welcome

Can you give us an idea of what you are eating? Specifically how much protein and how many carbs are you eating daily. Often when people aren't losing as much weight it is because they aren't eating enough protein.

For reference, I eat a minimum of 200-250 grams of protein daily. I eat a lot of carbs but I am kind of a special case.

I know for a fact I am eating too many carbs and I get between 90-100 grams of protein a day. I also got in the bad habit of drinking 1/2 sweet tea. Pregnancy was rough on me I had a hard time with vomiting and low blood pressure and I lost 40lbs in my 1st trimester and I was told to "just get calories" so I gained some bad habits I am now trying to break! I am also nursing my little one and crave carbs. I have not been counting carbs or calories. I usually just counted my protein. What are some good parameters to stay within? My "goal weight" is 175 i started my pregnancy at 210 , I got down to 170 during my pregnancy and I looked pretty sickly. I was pretty happy pre-pregnancy and I am not as concerned with numbers but more with the way I look and feel. I haven't gained weight but my body redistributed as a result of baby. I am also waiting for the results from my latest labs. Sorry for the long post.. :)

Thanks

How many carbs would you estimate?

Regarding protein, I think you need to bump up to 150. Your body needs the fuel

Today was a pretty average day and I had around 80 grams..just by googling what I ate today. I am not doing any math other than adding the net carbs.

Today was a pretty average day and I had around 80 grams..just by googling what I ate today. I am not doing any math other than adding the net carbs.
80 is really not that much. Note: others may disagree with me but I think that carb restriction is overrated if you aren't diabetic. I am not advocating eating a bunch and by all means not a bunch of sweets, but IMO 100 -150 is not the end of the world. I eat probably 200 a day or more. Now I have more malabsorption than most and had to have a revision to extend my AL because I battled extreme malnutrition (was on a Shit ton of a pancreatic enzyme to survive). My absorption is better but not perfect so that gives me a cushion with carbs relative to others.

Anyway I really think you will be surprised what happens if you up your protein intake

Good luck with getting to goal. I hope your labs come in well too.

Welcome @Dclattimer and congrats on the baby!

Now, count macros (protein, fat, and ALL carbs NOT just net) for 2-3 days just to get an idea of where you are. Do NOT count NET carbs for now...you can go back to that but net carbs are deceiving for many. That way you know where you are in general, then try to add more protein and fat and make sure your carbs are GOOD for you. Avoid starchy carbs...focus on good green veggie carbs.

No need to count calories but look at your totals during those 2-3 days as you may not be eating ENOUGH calories. Most DS'ers find if their calories are too low (under 1800), they stall or gain weight.

I usually run my macros thru MFP about two times a year to just check myself and see where I am. I honestly hate the idea of logging food ESPECIALLY daily but once or twice a year doesn't kill me and keeps me on track. Logging food smacks of a diet and I hate diets.

But doing that will give you a solid idea of what you are actually eating/drinking and where you need to adjust.

Hi @Dclattimer glad you are here and congrats on the new Baby! How exciting. I agree with all that has been said here - I don't think your carbs are to many at all and wonder with the breastfeeding if it is actually enough. Also, how many protein grams are you getting in - at least double your carbs I hope. You are feeding you and a little one. And then there is alway fat - make sure you are getting plenty of that too.
i look forward to watching your journey and learning how lactation affects / effects (shite don't know which one is right :) ) DS eating and weight loss

Hi @Dclattimer glad you are here and congrats on the new Baby! How exciting. I agree with all that has been said here - I don't think your carbs are to many at all and wonder with the breastfeeding if it is actually enough. Also, how many protein grams are you getting in - at least double your carbs I hope. You are feeding you and a little one. And then there is alway fat - make sure you are getting plenty of that too.
i look forward to watching your journey and learning how lactation affects / effects (shite don't know which one is right :) ) DS eating and weight loss
I didn't even catch the breast feeding part (what happens when you read a post on your phone in the middle of the night and then reply :D ) but I agree that when breast feeding I don't think I would restrict any nutrients unless my guts absolutely couldn't deal with it. Totally different situation from a typical DS'r.

Congrats on the baby Dclattimer!

Welcome and congratulations! Remember that you need extra nutrition for the baby, both protein and calories.

Latest posts

Back