Hello from Texas

Starrfish

Hello I started my DS journey back in October. I'm seeing Dr Ayoola in Denton TX. I've completed all my pre op diet and testing and am now trying to get insurance approval. For me this surgery would truly mean a better chance at life and quality of life. I have IIH and if I don't receive the surgery my neurologist has recommended a drainage shunt be placed in my brain. An operation I'd definitely prefer not to do.

Welcome

I had never heard of this condition before but I wish you well in your journey and hope that you get the relief you are seeking.

I know of one other (on FB) who has this issue. She had a shunt to help hers.
Among Cameron's other issues he had neurological issues (autonomic dysfunction) and made 5 trips to Mayo in Rochester. He had a spinal tap and they found a couple of things. Oligoclonal banding in his CSF and Serum (marker found in many MS patients and other auto immune disease..nothing has come of it so far) and on the test his CSF pressure was high. They Neurologist at Mayo didn't think anything of the high CSF so they didn't do anything about it. I do know that for a year after chemo Cameron was dizzy 24/7 and nothing helped (tried numerous meds and they exacerbated the problem). They did find that he tested positive for a p/q type calcium channel antibody which is found in patients with a syndrome called LEMS. Thankfully he never developed the symptoms (a very majority of people who have this develop lung cancer and don't make it) and two years later the antibody was somehow gone. Crazy and I don't if the pressure could have been causing his dizzy/lighthead but maybe it was.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread so that is all I will say about that , but I empathize with anyone who has neurological issues because they can be very tough to live with (being dizzy/lightheaded all the time sucks) and very difficult to diagnose and treat. I really do hope the DS gives @Starrfish the relieves she needs.

Hello I started my DS journey back in October. I'm seeing Dr Ayoola in Denton TX. I've completed all my pre op diet and testing and am now trying to get insurance approval. For me this surgery would truly mean a better chance at life and quality of life. I have IIH and if I don't receive the surgery my neurologist has recommended a drainage shunt be placed in my brain. An operation I'd definitely prefer not to do.
Hello and welcome! You'll find a wealth of quality information and support here.

Latest posts

Back