Hello from Psychomom

Psychomom

Hi! I'm having a duodenal switch on December 12, 2016 in Lubbock, TX. My doctor is Dr. David Syn. He's the only surgeon in my area that does a true DS--that's why I chose him. I am married with 12 kids--only one is still at home. We have a yours, mine, and ours situation. I never had a weight problem until I had kids--something changed in my metabolism and no matter what I did, how hard I tried, what diet I followed, how much I worked out--I never could lose the weight. The only thing I didn't do was the diet pills--even though multiple doctors offered them to me. Everyone in my family is heavy and the only people that lose weight are the ones who have surgery. My mother died from obesity. My brother committed suicide due to obesity related health issues. My aunt is currently in the hospital dying from obesity related issues. I'm not willing to give up yet and I'm looking forward to having my life back.

Welcome! Your path to WLS is similar to mine, but you are way ahead of me in the child raising experience. Best of luck on the 12th!

Welcome!!!! I had given up to be honest and then, I got diabetes and picked the DS as a solution. DS is amazing. You will get your life back. And keep up with all those grandchildren!

Hi! I'm having a duodenal switch on December 12, 2016 in Lubbock, TX. My doctor is Dr. David Syn. He's the only surgeon in my area that does a true DS--that's why I chose him. I am married with 12 kids--only one is still at home. We have a yours, mine, and ours situation. I never had a weight problem until I had kids--something changed in my metabolism and no matter what I did, how hard I tried, what diet I followed, how much I worked out--I never could lose the weight. The only thing I didn't do was the diet pills--even though multiple doctors offered them to me. Everyone in my family is heavy and the only people that lose weight are the ones who have surgery. My mother died from obesity. My brother committed suicide due to obesity related health issues. My aunt is currently in the hospital dying from obesity related issues. I'm not willing to give up yet and I'm looking forward to having my life back.

12 kids?! Buy a TV. And welcome! You came to the right place....

Hi and welcome! I am so sorry for your families struggles, esp the suicide of your brother. How sad! I'm glad you are getting the help you need and wish everyone struggling with obesity could have this help as well.

Do you happen to know how much experience Dr. Syn has with the DS? It might be helpful for other people in your vicinity to have him for a resource. And I'm assuming, from your description, that you have discussed the true DS with 2 anastomoses with him and that's what he's doing, right?

Larra is a very polite lady.

I'm a tad more...uhm..."direct."

So, who TF is Syn? I wonder why, after reading on DS boards for about 13 years, I've never heard that name. And if Larra, who is active on SEVERAL boards, for a similar time period, has never heard it...well...make DAMNED SURE you find at least a few other people who have placed their lives in his hands...and survived.

This is essential.

And, hi.

Sue

Hi and welcome, @Psychomom ! DS is one of the best decisions I ever made - my only regret is not having had it done sooner. Best of luck on your upcoming procedure.

Welcome @Psychomom

TWELVE kids...wow...definitely a large crowd! I bet family gatherings are fun.

Would you like your surgery date added to the forum calendar?
Yes, please add me to the forum calendar. In my defense, I only gave birth to 2 of the kids. The rest are stepkids from two marriages--my first husband passed away and I still claim his two kids, my husband had 7 kids with his ex--not all are his, but he still raised them and claim them so they're mine, and we adopted one. We only have our adopted daughter at home, but holidays are so much fun!

Larra is a very polite lady.

I'm a tad more...uhm..."direct."

So, who TF is Syn? I wonder why, after reading on DS boards for about 13 years, I've never heard that name. And if Larra, who is active on SEVERAL boards, for a similar time period, has never heard it...well...make DAMNED SURE you find at least a few other people who have placed their lives in his hands...and survived.

This is essential.

And, hi.

Sue
I'm surprised that no one has heard of Dr. Syn. He's the foremost bariatric surgeon in Lubbock, TX with decades of experience. I personally know over a dozen people that he has done this procedure on that not only survived, but have thrived from this procedure. He's a very nice man and very respected in our area of the woods. That being said, I appreciate everyone looking out for me. I checked out several doctors in my area and they all said they same thing--if I want a DS, I have to go to Dr. Syn because he's the only doctor in our area with the experience and expertise to do it right. My only complaint about Dr. Syn is that he does not have a support group affiliated with his office--he recommends that his patients meet with a counselor on an individual basis. But, no other bariatric doctor in my area has a support group either.

I'm surprised that no one has heard of Dr. Syn. He's the foremost bariatric surgeon in Lubbock, TX with decades of experience. I personally know over a dozen people that he has done this procedure on that not only survived, but have thrived from this procedure. He's a very nice man and very respected in our area of the woods. That being said, I appreciate everyone looking out for me. I checked out several doctors in my area and they all said they same thing--if I want a DS, I have to go to Dr. Syn because he's the only doctor in our area with the experience and expertise to do it right. My only complaint about Dr. Syn is that he does not have a support group affiliated with his office--he recommends that his patients meet with a counselor on an individual basis. But, no other bariatric doctor in my area has a support group either.

This forum can be a good alternative to a support group. I've learned a lot here and gotten a lot of support.

Good news, then.

But...his website says that the RnY is the best-ever option. Made me wonder if he had very limited experience/limited success with the DS.

But like Larra said, confirm that there will be two anastamoses. Just so you get the tried-and-true version of the procedure.

Latest posts

Back