Hello from OldBroad

Well, here I am, 17 days before surgery. I'm still researching and learning, but now it is about living with the DS, rather than about whether to have it. Lurking here since December has been more helpful than you can imagine.

Also, I thought I should let you all know that I'm related to one of your stalwarts. Diana Cox is my sister.

Finally....a full disclosure.

My most sincere...uhm...well...feelings about your esteemed sibling.

Well, here I am, 17 days before surgery. I'm still researching and learning, but now it is about living with the DS, rather than about whether to have it. Lurking here since December has been more helpful than you can imagine.

Also, I thought I should let you all know that I'm related to one of your stalwarts. Diana Cox is my sister.
Glad you have found it useful.

I will warn you, there seems to be a phenomena of a bad case of "stupid" after the anesthesia of surgery when you forget everything you read before hand...so printing it out will help you find it.

Just follow the lead of your sister in living with the DS and you can't go wrong.

I'm 57. Been heavy my whole life. Got heavier as the years rolled on. Became morbidly obese in my 40s. Haven't really tried to diet much, as I was very skeptical of having success. Now my health is being impacted in major ways (arthritis, sleep apnea, etc.), so I'm finally getting serious about weight loss. Still skeptical about diets, so I'm looking into surgery. I know someone with a DS who is pretty happy with it, so that is the direction I'm leaning in.

Welcome!

There are a lot of us old broads here - some older than others, some broader. I personally feel the DS is hands down the most successful WLS to live with (except for sleeve - that would be easier for me if I thought I'd lose and maintain with it) especially for those of us that are metabolically challenged. The benefits are many, so I would just say to make sure you address what I consider to be the only drawback.

You will take supplements daily, maybe a LOT, and it will be daily for life. There may also be stinky fart and poop repercussions if you have issues with carbs as many post ops do, and have to be selective if/when you indulge. You may already know that if you have a DS friend, but if you don't see them often, become familiar with those issues.

I say they are "issues", but honestly, with the co-morbs I had pre-op and the variety of prescriptions I had to take to deal with them, the handful of vitamins I take per day is a wonderful trade of all those prescriptions, and the health issues.

You also got lucky and found one of the best places to gather information. Hope to see you around more often.

Oh, that changes things. You do know that Diana is like the secret weapon of the DS community (and I don't mean like toxic gas, I mean with facts and information).

So being her sister, you will be held to a higher standard. ;)

Diana's sister? that's great! so we assume you are also super smart so I will emphasize what Liz said

I will warn you, there seems to be a phenomena of a bad case of "stupid" after the anesthesia of surgery when you forget everything you read before hand...so printing it out will help you find it.

so plan accordingly!

@old broad. I am 58 and looking forward to having an r n y revision to DS in July. Everyone here says I'm not too old but it sure is scary! I don't know much but I'll be a great cheerleader for you. This is a great place.

Hey old broad, your sis is very dear to me, as we are friends both here and IRL. So you and I are almost/sort of/kind of like extended family too! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I'm very happy and excited for you.

Wow only 17 days! I bet your nervous and excited all at the same time. I was 47 when I had my VBG. I was 59 when I had a revision to the DS by a surgeon that was not recommended for revision surgery by the vets. Your sister being one of them. I was 62 when Dr.Keshishian re-did that surgery. That was in September of 2013 and I made it through all of it. I now weigh 140lbs and other than still trying to tweak a few vitamin levels I am doing great. The only thing I wish is that I had the DS the first time around.

You are in for a wild ride that I don't believe you will ever regret! I look forward to hearing about how healthy you will feel. The best of luck to you @OldBroad.

Barb

Latest posts

Back