Hello from OldBroad

OldBroad

I'm 57. Been heavy my whole life. Got heavier as the years rolled on. Became morbidly obese in my 40s. Haven't really tried to diet much, as I was very skeptical of having success. Now my health is being impacted in major ways (arthritis, sleep apnea, etc.), so I'm finally getting serious about weight loss. Still skeptical about diets, so I'm looking into surgery. I know someone with a DS who is pretty happy with it, so that is the direction I'm leaning in.

Welcome and good for you. The DS is the best thing I ever did for myself and my only regret is that I didn't do it when I was about 10! Do a lot of reading and research. Make sure the DS is right for you...then find an experienced surgeon. However the DS is the best wls out there for losing the weight and keeping it off.

The fact that you didn't do a lot of dieting will probably work in your favor. Hopefully your metabolism is still alive and kicking.

:welcome: @OldBroad

I'm 60 now but had my DS when I was 56 (I'll be 4 years out in Jan). Honestly, the DS is the ONLY weight loss surgery I was willing to consider. I am a lightweight (someone who is typically between a 35-45 BMI with less than 150 lbs to lose).

With arthritis, I would not consider ANY other option.

Good luck with your decision.

Had mine at 53, and I have a friend (doesn't post online) who had hers at 62. We both did great. Definitely the best decision I could have made.

The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss and of perhaps greater importance for maintenance of that weight loss. Also for resolution of almost all comorbidities. Keep reading and learning, and you will make your own decision.

Any WLS has some "rules" like dieting that you have to live with. An example with DS is low carb and vitamins, or RNY is low cals, carbs and fat plus vitamins. It's not easy no matter what you choose there will be work involved.

Had mine at 49. Should have done it WAY earlier. My 84 year old aunt says if she were 15 years younger, she'd have the DS today. Make sure you understand the commitment to yearly labs, following your own labs, and taking vitamins FOR LIFE. Also, if you're a vegetarian, rethink that before the DS. Animal protein is the best for us, so you don't want to go into it thinking you can be a vegan.

Well, here I am, 17 days before surgery. I'm still researching and learning, but now it is about living with the DS, rather than about whether to have it. Lurking here since December has been more helpful than you can imagine.

Also, I thought I should let you all know that I'm related to one of your stalwarts. Diana Cox is my sister.

Latest posts

Back